Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd October 2021, 03:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Now that Demdike has a fancy modern TV there is no reason why he can't watch all the public domain (and the few not exactly legit) films available on YouTube via his massive TV screen Samsung has a decent enough YouTube app.
I've never bothered to connect it up. The broadband is shit here anyhow. Takes an age for a music vid on YT to play correctly on my PC never mind the thought of buffering onto a large screen.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 23rd October 2021, 03:14 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Now that Demdike has a fancy modern TV there is no reason why he can't watch all the public domain (and the few not exactly legit) films available on YouTube via his massive TV screen Samsung has a decent enough YouTube app.
A lot of great stuff on there great when a physical copy is not available or crazy expensive.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 23rd October 2021, 03:17 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've never bothered to connect it up. The broadband is shit here anyhow. Takes an age for a music vid on YT to play correctly on my PC never mind the thought of buffering onto a large screen.
It's the same amount of data regardless, but if you have trouble with 4 min videos then perhaps a 90 min film is asking too much

I forget that more rural areas in the UK have shocking internet, I don't realise how fortunate I am with my superfast fibre broadband, I can't remember the last time I saw a spinning buffering icon, 2001 maybe?

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd October 2021, 03:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It's the same amount of data regardless, but if you have trouble with 4 min videos then perhaps a 90 min film is asking too much

I forget that more rural areas in the UK have shocking internet, I don't realise how fortunate I am with my superfast fibre broadband, I can't remember the last time I saw a spinning buffering icon, 2001 maybe?

It's still classed as superfast fibre broadband but it's still shit.
Old 23rd October 2021, 04:22 PM
Cult Master

30 days of unseen horror

Film 18

MV5BMzViNWM5OWYtYzY2My00M2JhLTgwY2MtZjRlYTBmNmY4MzVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwMzI2NzU@._V1_.jpg

Count Dracula has fled Transylvania after his resting place has been discovered by the authorities. While on board the train the count kills an artist on his way to live with his relations in America and steals his identity. The family at first find the counts ways a little odd but they just put it down to his different way of life back in Europe sleeping all day out all night and not eating but soon his behaviour turns to suspicion when an emigration officer shows up after the real artists body is discovered back in Europe and all the passengers are under investigation looking for the mans stolen papers. It's not long before the bodies start piling up in this sleepy town where everyone dies from natural causes but suddenly people are dying violently this attracts the attention of the man trying to trackdown where Count Dracula has disappeared too.

Francis Lederer does a great job at looking sinister and intimidating but honestly not looking like a typical vampire more like a 1940s gangster with is quiff hairstyle and mob like suit and overcoat slung over his shoulders. THere are some great effects for the time of people appearing from nowhere and one or two more that will spoil some moments if i described them but i always love what they could do so effectively in these 30s and 40s films. Just like Cry of the Werewolf before this there are only a few glimpses of horror one time showing the count in his coffin and once when he brings one of his victims back to life which are really well done but i would of liked a few more of these scenes. One really odd thing happened and i don't know why but during a stake to the heart scene just as the hammer hits the stake and the blood flows the scene went to colour just for the one impact not sure why someone would splice that in for a film with no blood or violence there isn't even fangs or neck biting in this just the suggestion of it.

Good but not great lacked more of the atmospheric scenes which really would of helped still entertaining but it could of been much more.

6/10
Old 23rd October 2021, 04:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 22nd

The Body Snatcher (1945)

A moody and very grim Val Lewton produced period piece. Boris Karloff as the deviant in question is simply outstanding in a performance that bounces from kindly to pure evil in the blink of an eye. His showdown with Bela Lugosi two thirds of the way in is one of many a highlight.

This too is a great scene as Karloff's Gray, the body snatcher of the title, confronts Dr Macfarlane as played by Henry Daniel.

"Could you be a doctor, a healing man with the things those eyes have seen?"

The Shout Factory Blu-ray looks and sounds amazing.

The Craft (1996)

A high school horror movie in which new girl Robin Tunney is initiated into a clique of three black lipstick and nails outcast girls who practice witchcraft, or at least attempt to.

Starting off as a black comedy ala Heathers or Jawbreaker, The Craft quickly begins to explore themes of witchcraft and come the end, the karma that goes with it. The four girls are all excellent, especially the Manson like (Marilyn not Charles) Fairuza Balk who lets her powers overcome her in the worst possible way.

Leaving most teen movie cliches behind by the midway point, The Craft explores darker themes and by the climactic finale is a full on horror film.

The Blu-ray for the most part looks good but i'd still love to double dip this for a new 4K transfer.

A cracking double bill beginning to the weekend!
Old 23rd October 2021, 04:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Was The Return of Dracula another Youtube watch, Nordy?

I only ask because i have it as a lovely print as part of an MGM Midnite Movies double bill alongside The Vampire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1OmquVnwYL._AC_SY445_.jpg (45.8 KB, 4 views)
trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 23rd October 2021, 04:32 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Was The Return of Dracula another Youtube watch, Nordy?

I only ask because i have it as a lovely print as part of an MGM Midnite Movies double bill alongside The Vampire.
Yes it was on Youtube again. Im sure the colour scene is not in that release
Old 23rd October 2021, 06:29 PM
Cult Addict

The Blair Witch Project

Only reason I chose to watch this was because I had a hard shift and was too exhausted to pick anything else. Luckily enough it is short which is what I was in the mood for. Still love it.
Old 23rd October 2021, 07:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Braindead. 1992.

A woman who is over bearing to her only son, follows him and his new girl-friend to the zoo and is bitten by a Sumatran rat-monkey which causes her to die, only to be brought back as a zombie and starts infected the small town.

This is one of those movies you can watch over and over without being bored and still have a laugh at it, credited as being one of the bloodiest films ever made I bet Peter Jackson had fun making this. He was given a decent budget and practically created a tongue and cheek comedy horror and created a new weapon to kill the zombie, a lawnmower. The Make-up effects are brilliant and gave us a zombie baby from a nurse and a priest who kicks ass for the lord.

51yBVCS1M4L._AC_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!