Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd October 2021, 08:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I kick arse for the lord!

Funny I was going to watch that tonight but I settled on something else.
Demoncrat, trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd October 2021, 08:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

DARK EYES OF LONDON

Classic Lugosi film with a creepy henchman.
Bela always a more menacing villain than he was a vampire.

NIGHT OF THE EAGLE
Or as the Yanks christened it,Burn Witch Burn.
Great little tale of witchcraft gone wrong.
Only prob with the blu ray is you can see the chord on the eagle's foot during the finale!

NIGHT OF THE DEMON
Another classic tale black magic and witchcraft.
And btw-it's a better film for seeing the demon......

A Black and White pattern here in anticipationof my Universal monsters arriving from America......

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 23rd October 2021, 09:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bram Stoker's Dracula. 1992.

Centuries old Count Dracula travels to England to find his bride who he believes is the reincarnation of his young barrister's fiancee.

Bela Lugosi was creepy as Dracula, Christopher Lee was chilling, under Francis Ford Coppola's direction Gary Oldman was both and still able to give us a great character to the film and how he managed to go beyond and create his image for Dracula.

I'm still hesitant on Keanu Reeves trying to put on a somewhat aristocrat English accent , had to keep telling myself he isn't gonna say "Whoa or Dude", he is in a horror not a comedy. Anthony Hopkins role as Van Helsing is amazing as you can see how unorthodox and how unpredictable he can be and enjoys telling people in public how he destroyed Lucy.

The visual effects are decently done, with Jonathan in the coach and looking down the edge of the cliff is enough to give anyone vertigo, even the outside in the distance of Castle Dracula it's made to look like someone sat on a throne. The theme song by Annie Lennox i'm not quite sure whether to like or hate but Wojciech Kilar score is amazing and is able to blend in greatly with the film. Never realised how many times I have seen this Monica Bellucci was one of Dracula's Bride's.

s-l300.jpg

I'll add this as well, Gary and Francis having a small argument

Old 23rd October 2021, 10:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Bram Stoker's Dracula. 1992.

Wojciech Kilar score is amazing and is able to blend in greatly with the film.
Best horror score ever as far as i'm concerned. I listened to the cd so much in the 90's.
Justin101 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 24th October 2021, 12:10 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Bay Of Blood. 1971.

After a countess dies in a apparent suicide, the motions of her death set of a chain of killings around a bay.

Give Mario Bava a idea and a budget and he can create a cinematic masterpiece, it has great acting, perfect setting and brilliant cinematography and his style of perfect killings. All the actors seem to be unlikable and can be a perfect drinking game, one of them dies take a shot of J&B. This is one film that peaks any slasher fan's interest from the start with the first killing right through to the finale twist at the end.

s-l300.jpg
Old 24th October 2021, 01:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rawhead Rex. 1986.

A ancient creature is awakened and goes on a killing spree in a small Irish village.

I will admit this isn't perfect and looks daft, but this is still entertaining from the imagination from Clive Barker. David Dukes takes his family to a small Irish community and all hell breaks loose that his family is targeted and tries to put Rawhead Rex back to his grave. The kills are done off screen but we see the after effects, this looks like it was done on a low budget even with the costume dept of the creature.

b99cbf4ec2e5e73bd882de8bd1f07150--horror-films-tv-series.jpg

Have a nice relaxing Sunday peeps
Old 24th October 2021, 07:08 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Best horror score ever as far as i'm concerned. I listened to the cd so much in the 90's.
I borrowed the CD from my library and copied it onto a tape, I listened to it all of the time it's an excellent score. I made up for my wrong doing later in life and bought my own copy of the CD. As well as the VHS, the DVD, 2 versions of the Blu-ray and now the 4k haha.

Old 24th October 2021, 09:30 AM
Cult Veteran

Last three days worth, a trilogy of (almost) one word film titles!

Host (2020)

An ultra low budget British film made during the 1st lockdown (That's the one where we actually followed the rules) and recorded using Zoom, something that you'll be more familiar with now than ever before. Essentially 5 mates do a seance with a spirit guide and things go a bit wrong because one of the girls doesn't take it seriously. Not the ideal film to watch when you live alone, I scared the pants off myself Not sure that it has replay value but I'm glad I watched it once.

Pulse (1988)

One of those 80's 'technology is bad' stories (if only they could see us now eh?) only this time it's a sentient pulse of electricity which can get into your home and try to kill you. It does this in some quite inventive set pieces. It's an OK movie, kept me entertained for the entire time but it's not 'great'. I'm keeping it in the collection for now though.

The Blob (1988)

This film has no right being as good as it is! I am really surprised how entertaining, horrific and gory it is. It's one for the re-watch library for sure. Non-stop action and disgusting looking practical special effects, the Blob also doesn't have any issues with killing pre-teen kids either, nice one

Kevin Dillon's hair cut though... who'd have thought a curly mullet was a thing??

Old 24th October 2021, 10:38 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Last three days worth, a trilogy of (almost) one word film titles!

Host (2020)

An ultra low budget British film made during the 1st lockdown (That's the one where we actually followed the rules) and recorded using Zoom, something that you'll be more familiar with now than ever before. Essentially 5 mates do a seance with a spirit guide and things go a bit wrong because one of the girls doesn't take it seriously. Not the ideal film to watch when you live alone, I scared the pants off myself Not sure that it has replay value but I'm glad I watched it once.

Pulse (1988)

One of those 80's 'technology is bad' stories (if only they could see us now eh?) only this time it's a sentient pulse of electricity which can get into your home and try to kill you. It does this in some quite inventive set pieces. It's an OK movie, kept me entertained for the entire time but it's not 'great'. I'm keeping it in the collection for now though.

The Blob (1988)

This film has no right being as good as it is! I am really surprised how entertaining, horrific and gory it is. It's one for the re-watch library for sure. Non-stop action and disgusting looking practical special effects, the Blob also doesn't have any issues with killing pre-teen kids either, nice one

Kevin Dillon's hair cut though... who'd have thought a curly mullet was a thing??
Kevin Dillion's hair is a work of art brings a tear to my eye its so beautiful

I watched Host last October for the most part it was ok but a few things happened that ruined it i cant remember what they were off the top of my head but i remember it getting worse towards the end. Not one id watch again either.
Old 24th October 2021, 10:45 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Kevin Dillion's hair is a work of art brings a tear to my eye its so beautiful

I watched Host last October for the most part it was ok but a few things happened that ruined it i cant remember what they were off the top of my head but i remember it getting worse towards the end. Not one id watch again either.
Basically the whole last 10 minutes after the guy comes back on camera and then the girl goes around to her friends flat, but it does build good tension I think, and it's admirable that they made it all online.

Like this? Share it using the links below!