Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th October 2023, 03:43 AM
Cult Acolyte

I'm with you on that. The 70s ones are brilliantly bonkers.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 9th October 2023, 05:44 AM
Cult Addict

Even the Hammer House of Horror series I rate as one of my favourite TV series, for a last gasp it is astonishingly impressive, although they should have stopped there before the Mystery and suspense one or whatever that was.
iank likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 9th October 2023, 10:01 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

30 Days of Unseen Horror

Day 8

MV5BNGRiZmRkNzQtNmNkMC00ZjQxLWFlZTctN2Y4ZWJlZmM3ZTQ2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA3MDk2NDg2._V1_.jpg

Zeke Banks is an undercover cop with a turbulent history with his fellow police officers after he exposed a corrupt cop something the rest of the force won't let him forget. Zeke and his new partner are sent to investigate a homeless man hit by a train but when they arrive at the scene clues are left to indicate this is no homeless bum but a cop. Back at the preceint Zeke receives a package with a usb stick that has a video from a Jigsaw copycat but this time they are targeting crooked cops.

Spiral is a mixed bag its a good cop thriller for the most part but there are so many cop film cliches it hurts from the usual veteran cop who is forced to partner up with a rookie and at first treats his partner like shit but slowly warms to him and the cliche " hey ! Good job today partner " bs .

The gore and traps are the usual Saw awesomeness I loved them all and I was asking myself what would I do in the situation. The voice of spiral or what ever is name was I can't remember if they said but anyway the voice was terrible it didn't create tension or fear just made me want to laugh when he said wanna play a game just no conviction is the voice and not commanding your attention.

Chris Rock is a terrible actor it's shocking he is supposed to be this tough rookie cop but you don't believe it for a second and when he is angry or trying to stand up to the other cops he comes across goofy instead of a guy to be feared. Sam Jackson on the other hand is great as always he really is the stand out performance sadly he isn't in many scenes the film could really have benefited from his presence.

Overall it's enjoyable but extremely flawed.
Old 9th October 2023, 10:18 AM
Cult Veteran

This made me laugh, I was scrolling through Netflix and they had this recommendation section called High Brow Horror and I was amused to see Halloween Kills there apparently pitchfork wielding townies is high brow these days.

IMG_2504.jpg

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 9th October 2023, 10:36 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
This made me laugh, I was scrolling through Netflix and they had this recommendation section called High Brow Horror and I was amused to see Halloween Kills there apparently pitchfork wielding townies is high brow these days.

Attachment 248256
Don't forget a housewife weilding an Iron
Old 9th October 2023, 11:28 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post

Attachment 248256
More like a backwoods unibrow.
Justin101 likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 9th October 2023, 12:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Even the Hammer House of Horror series I rate as one of my favourite TV series, for a last gasp it is astonishingly impressive, although they should have stopped there before the Mystery and suspense one or whatever that was.
Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense is fantastic.

And the Wall Came Tumbling Down, Black Carrion and Child's Play are terrific episodes.

As for your earlier remark about not mentioning Lalla Ward and Doctor Who in a review for Vampire Circus. What's the point? Everyone else does anyway.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 9th October 2023, 12:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cauldron Of Blood. 1968.

Boris Karloff portrays a famous sculptor who was blinded and partially crippled in a car accident years before and using skeletons of murder victims as his set pieces. This movie in it's parts is quite good. The cast is strong, the plot has potential, the production values look good. There are moments where you think this movie is going to start to kick ass and throw in a curveball or two. However the whole does not equal the sum of it's parts. It drags in spot, there are long sequences that add little to the story. For a Spanish Euro Trash film, i would say view this for Karloff performance but think you need to be in the right frame of mind.

MV5BMTY2NDY1MDk0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjM4NDQ5._V1_.jpg
Old 9th October 2023, 04:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT 5: THE TOY MAKER – You’ll have to forgive me for going off-season, but it’s been on my list for a while. SNDN has to be one of the strangest horror ‘franchises’. I’ve said this before, but there’s such an irresistible seam of weirdness that runs all the way from the sheer gall of ‘part2’ through to this, our final dollop of dark Santa zaniness. It was a relief to finally catch up with part five and find that it nailed and, in some ways, surpassed the quirkiness of its forebears. And yes, there are plenty of typical elements, the whole ‘lonely kid who no-one believes at the mercy of supernatural toys’ thing, flat characterisations, basically whatever you would expect from an early nineties genre knock-off that went straight to video, but there’s so much else besides. Its central conceit is based on Pinocchio, and the way it’s handled is baffling in its throwaway surrealism, something that only becomes apparent at the end when we see how Collodi’s much loved creation might be bent to fit the purposes of a shite B-movie that wants to reference ‘The Terminator’. Its ‘evil toy’ attacks are sometimes contrived in odd ways, including one where a sexed-up couple are ambushed by plastic soldiers before being mauled by a weird little cyclopsy-type thing on wheels, all of it inherently very silly, but somehow only grimness comes through; the scene lingers on the couple’s agony and desperation, whereas it might’ve been played for no more than giggles by that other bad toy monger, Charles Band. A level of herky-jerky narrative badness at least entertains in its dumbshow way (I’m always down for throwing in rampant coincidence for the sake of moving things forward when it’s done barefaced, and it definitely is here). As for lingering questions… so odd to see Mickey Rooney in it, but then again, he did file for bankruptcy around the time. Sometimes you can’t sum up why you like a film. I really like ‘The Toy Maker’, though. It’s possibly my fave of the lot, barring the original, which is difficult to top – I’ll be saving my re-visit for the happy season.
Old 9th October 2023, 04:32 PM
Cult Master

IMG_20231009_173101.jpg

Picked up some pumpkin lights

Like this? Share it using the links below!