Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th October 2022, 09:54 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I want a reshoot with MacBlaynes idea passing the torch rather than what we got would of been better.
MacBlayne and nicholasrope like this.
Old 20th October 2022, 11:52 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Personally i'd like Halloween Part 9: Michael Lives as Tommy Jarvis and his mate resurrect Michael from his grave and he goes on an all new Haddonfield killing spree.

Followed by Halloween Part 10: The New Blood in which Michael finds a new adversary in a girl with telekinetic powers.

Finally Halloween Part 11: Michael takes Manhattan in which everyone in Haddonfield (Especially every single Strode) is dead so a bored Michael get's the Greyhound to Manhattan in order to continue his mayhem.

Yes, i like my slasher films to be slasher films not kitchen sink dramas about child abuse and mental health issues.
Old 20th October 2022, 12:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Must admit from Mac's excellent write up it seems like they've now gone from rehashing set pieces from the films they wanted to pretend never happened (Halloween's 4-6) and have gone on to ripping off the first hour of Rob Zombie's Halloween in showing the almost apologetic explanation for why some kid goes on a killing spree.

I've only seen the first terrible film but the film makers don't seem to have an original idea to their name.
MacBlayne and nicholasrope like this.
Old 20th October 2022, 01:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Must admit from Mac's excellent write up it seems like they've now gone from rehashing set pieces from the films they wanted to pretend never happened (Halloween's 4-6) and have gone on to ripping off the first hour of Rob Zombie's Halloween in showing the almost apologetic explanation for why some kid goes on a killing spree.

I've only seen the first terrible film but the film makers don't seem to have an original idea to their name.
I'll give credit to Zombie's remake - he tried a different approach to Carpenter rather than just mimic him. A swing and a miss.

I adore his sequel, which is probably the first anti-slasher. I believe it is an outstanding, artistic achievement . It is uncompromising, and kneels for nobody.

That doesn't mean if you didn't like it, you don't get it. I said it was an uncompromising film, which means it's not surprising it repels as many as it does appeal to.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 20th October 2022, 01:58 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Personally i'd like Halloween Part 9: Michael Lives as Tommy Jarvis and his mate resurrect Michael from his grave and he goes on an all new Haddonfield killing spree.

Followed by Halloween Part 10: The New Blood in which Michael finds a new adversary in a girl with telekinetic powers.

Finally Halloween Part 11: Michael takes Manhattan in which everyone in Haddonfield (Especially every single Strode) is dead so a bored Michael get's the Greyhound to Manhattan in order to continue his mayhem.

Yes, i like my slasher films to be slasher films not kitchen sink dramas about child abuse and mental health issues.
I'd watch Michael takes Manhattan with a rip roaring 80s metal soundtrack were John and Cody Carpenter team up with Blackie Lawless. I really want that now
Old 20th October 2022, 04:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Give it a few years (3 tops ) .... and .... Michelle Myers. Just you watch.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th October 2022, 04:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Give it a few years (3 tops ) .... and .... Michelle Myers. Just you watch.
You know, going back to Halloween 4's ending, and expanding from there might be an interesting avenue.
Old 20th October 2022, 05:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

ANTRUM – The whole meta- thing seems quite hard to pull off these days. ‘Antrum’ is bookended by documentary-style passages that tell us about a deadly film, one that kills anyone who sees it, and between these is aforementioned deadly film itself, a supposed Hungarian production from the seventies about a woman and her little brother wandering around some woods. I watched it and I really wondered why they’d bothered with the wraparound because the main course, ‘Antrum’s’ central section, is actually a genuinely unnerving, spookily oneiric horror experience that feels a bit like a more disconnected and self-consciously satanic echo of the days of (eg.) “Let’s Scare Jessica To Death”. It only falls down when it tries a little too hard – the preponderance of near-subliminal sigils that are always flashing up, the odd voice that sounds a bit mwah ha ha etc – but overall I was really impressed and affected, it really does have the air of a dream that’s about to turn very, very bad (and then does). The fake context doesn’t detract too much, just seems a little surplus to requirements when the film’s best work’s been done (although you never know – as one of the directors pithily put it, “Antrum reached peak popularity during a world pandemic… I think you could make the argument”!) Very interested to see what the makers do next.
Old 20th October 2022, 05:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
ANTRUM – The whole meta- thing seems quite hard to pull off these days. ‘Antrum’ is bookended by documentary-style passages that tell us about a deadly film, one that kills anyone who sees it, and between these is aforementioned deadly film itself, a supposed Hungarian production from the seventies about a woman and her little brother wandering around some woods. I watched it and I really wondered why they’d bothered with the wraparound because the main course, ‘Antrum’s’ central section, is actually a genuinely unnerving, spookily oneiric horror experience that feels a bit like a more disconnected and self-consciously satanic echo of the days of (eg.) “Let’s Scare Jessica To Death”. It only falls down when it tries a little too hard – the preponderance of near-subliminal sigils that are always flashing up, the odd voice that sounds a bit mwah ha ha etc – but overall I was really impressed and affected, it really does have the air of a dream that’s about to turn very, very bad (and then does). The fake context doesn’t detract too much, just seems a little surplus to requirements when the film’s best work’s been done (although you never know – as one of the directors pithily put it, “Antrum reached peak popularity during a world pandemic… I think you could make the argument”!) Very interested to see what the makers do next.
Like you i loved this first time round but on second dvd viewing i didn't feel it worked as well and ended up getting rid of it afterwards. The plot second time round is too thin really.

It was certainly ambitious and very different. For those two reasons alone it should be commended.

It needed more dead deer sex.
Old 20th October 2022, 05:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Like you i loved this first time round but on second dvd viewing i didn't feel it worked as well and ended up getting rid of it afterwards. The plot second time round is too thin really.

It was certainly ambitious and very different. For those two reasons alone it should be commended.

It needed more dead deer sex.
Ha ha, well the 'dead deer sex' thing is true of a lot of films!
For me it was just one of those movies that work in that three-in-the-morning, between waking and sleeping kind of way... and I think I would've found it genuinely chilling had it not been for the obvious construction. Might even save my pennies and get the US blu ray if there's anything left after winter.

Like this? Share it using the links below!