Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th October 2022, 04:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE RAGE – I’d forgotten what a delightful feast of trashy fun this is. It’s by Rob Kurtzman, a name familiar to anyone who knows the work of KNB sfx group, or indeed ‘Wishmaster’. Whereas ‘Wishmaster’ was a legit stab at mainstream horror, ‘The Rage’ just goes for outrageous silliness. It piles splatter upon splatter with an attitude of humorous derangement – case in point, the several zombie vulture attacks. It stars the always ace Andrew Divoff, here giving great Euro ham as a twisted ‘Dr Butcher MD’ type who has a chip on his shoulder and a lab full of evil virus ; he makes do with sawing open the occasional mutant skull before the usual pesky kids stumble across his workshop and, well, “release the bats” as Nick Cave once sang (turn of phrase only – there are no bats in this movie, just those f*cking zombie vultures). It’s a rip-roaring ride from start to finish, and how can anyone deny the verve of a film that shits all over our treasured memories of ‘Phantasm’ by reconfiguring Reggie Bannister as a loathsome child eater? Recommended.
Old 27th October 2022, 06:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Trick 'R' Treat. 2007.

On Halloween night five stories are told about some people of a town

A young girl might meet the man of her dreams but she her friends give her a test of imitation to join them.

A school teacher has a dark murderous side.

A young woman who keeps up the interest of Halloween for her husband finds out what happens when she blows out the pumpkin light before midnight.

A group of friends pull a prank on someone that backfires.

A grumpy old man who dislikes Halloween gets a unexpected visit.

This film was better than I expected it to be, as soon as one story finishes it jumps straight to the next one, each one comes with it's very own twist ending, good effects and good acting. There is one or two bits of comedy that is added but never really spoils the film's tone Why I left it this long to watch this is terrible, already gave myself a "Gibbs Slap" for it. Definitely one that will be watched more often for Halloween.

A1Fk0jn2EXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Up next Hansel And Gretel: Witch Hunters
Old 27th October 2022, 06:34 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Trick 'R' Treat. 2007.

This film was better than I expected it to be, as soon as one story finishes it jumps straight to the next one, each one comes with it's very own twist ending, good effects and good acting. There is one or two bits of comedy that is added but never really spoils the film's tone Why I left it this long to watch this is terrible, already gave myself a "Gibbs Slap" for it. Definitely one that will be watched more often for Halloween.
I think it's a brilliantly constructed and very enjoyable twisted little film, so I'm really pleased you enjoyed it. It's going to be one I'll watch this week as well.
Old 27th October 2022, 06:37 PM
Cult Veteran

I've got it on my calendar for a Sunday viewing myself annual tradition at this point.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th October 2022, 06:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I've got it on my calendar for a Sunday viewing myself annual tradition at this point.
Ditto. Same goes for House of 1000 Corpses
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 27th October 2022, 06:55 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Ditto. Same goes for House of 1000 Corpses
I was going to watch the RZ classic again this Oct 30th but have decided to go with The Crow this year instead, have watched ...Corpses for 3 years in a row on the 30th

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th October 2022, 06:56 PM
Cult Master

30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 26

MV5BMjVkMmViYjMtMTA1Ny00ZWNlLTk3NWEtOTM1NjE0ZjU5ODc0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UY1200_CR88.jpg

When a collage professor manages to get his hands of a prehistoric fish for research his world is turned upside down when he accidentally cuts himself on the teeth of the fish. Soon after the accident he turns in to a murderous ape like creature for a short period of time and when he returns to his old self he has no recollection of his actions just left to deal with the aftermath. Once he discovers the truth he must do one more test to end the nightmare once and for all.

It takes a while before we see the monster other than an oversized hairy hand and the deformed giant footprints but that's enough to keep it interesting and exciting to finally get to see the monster in all his glory. When we do finally see the monster it is a little disappointing that the eyes in the mask are too wide and you can see too much of the actors eyes ruining the illusion of an actual beast I know it's a low budget film but it's an oversight that if avoid really would of kept you a bit more invested. A very small gripe in another wise fun entertaining film but I had to mention it when it stood out so much. The first was my favourite not that we see anything but the woman hanging in a tree really was a powerful image.
Old 27th October 2022, 07:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 26th

The Old Dark House (1932)

Following Frankenstein (1931) director James Whale turned to JB Priestley's novel Benighted for this er' old dark house terror satire which is as much a comedy of manners as it is horror film.

The plot is slight. During an atrocious storm a three people are forced to call at an old Welsh mansion inhabited by stranger than strange butler Boris Karloff, an 102 year old lunatic, a fire loving brother and a God-fearing sister who all suffer from at least one type of ...chosis and neurosis. Then when things can't get any odder Charles Laughton turns up with his hooker mistress.

The whole thing is bathed in an atmosphere of musky decay and although the less than pristine picture quality of the old Network dvd seems to add to the general all round weirdness of The Old Dark House i still now watch it via Eureka's lovely looking Blu-ray.
Old 27th October 2022, 07:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 25th

Bad Candy (2020)

An fantastic looking if not 100% successful Halloween horror anthology of six tales of local legends as told by local DJ's Corey Taylor and Zach Galligan.

Creatively the film is excellent. There's some great gore on offer and it really has that eighties day-glow wild effects look to it ala Poltergeist. Some of the cinematography and framing is brilliantly done and the imagery is often startling and weird and delightfully unpredictable. The death metal soundtrack is also rather cool and overall the film has a proper 1980's comic book vibe to it.

Acting is decent as is the dialogue, some of it very amusing with several in jokes, but as is often the case with anthologies the individual stories vary in quality although in true Trick r' Treat style it's great to see them all interlocking throughout the film even if they don't actually converge at the end.

Of the freaky tales my faves were both early doors. The first being the drug dealer who goes to the shit hole lavatory in search of a glory hole, and the sexy mortician in her naughty nurse costume who fantasizes about f*cking a dread guy on her slab - This has a proper Fulci-esq ending to it.

Ultimately Bad Candy is a film i first saw last year and gave it another spin and i guess it's one i'll sporadically return to because the imagery is so beautifully stylized. (And nothing to do with that saucy nurse either)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bad_candy_xlg.jpg (93.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 27th October 2022, 07:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Bad Candy (2020)

An fantastic looking if not 100% successful Halloween horror anthology of six tales of local legends as told by local DJ's Corey Taylor and Zach Galligan.

Creatively the film is excellent. There's some great gore on offer and it really has that eighties day-glow wild effects look to it ala Poltergeist. Some of the cinematography and framing is brilliantly done and the imagery is often startling and weird and delightfully unpredictable. The death metal soundtrack is also rather cool and overall the film has a proper 1980's comic book vibe to it.

Acting is decent as is the dialogue, some of it very amusing with several in jokes, but as is often the case with anthologies the individual stories vary in quality although in true Trick r' Treat style it's great to see them all interlocking throughout the film even if they don't actually converge at the end.

Of the freaky tales my faves were both early doors. The first being the drug dealer who goes to the shit hole lavatory in search of a glory hole, and the sexy mortician in her naughty nurse costume who fantasizes about f*cking a dread guy on her slab - This has a proper Fulci-esq ending to it.

Ultimately Bad Candy is a film i first saw last year and gave it another spin and i guess it's one i'll sporadically return to because the imagery is so beautifully stylized. (And nothing to do with that saucy nurse either)
I came across this earlier but wasn't too sure about it, you have peaked my interest to take a look at it now Dem, not for the imagery but the saucy nurse part

Like this? Share it using the links below!