Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st November 2012, 06:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

(Shamelessly reposted from my blog, but I think there's a few Heat fans on this board)

From the Heat commentary, Michael Mann remembers a primary source of inspiration behind his cops n’ robbers epic Heat...

There was a painting that inspired me about this moment and that painting probably got me interested in making this motion picture of Heat longer than anything else, and it was a painting of a table with a .45 on it and a rear shot of a man standing against a background, and contained within it somebody was involved in some life of aggression and action and yet the contrast was in the mental state because here was a moment of inner loneliness. It didn’t dictate something, instead it posed a question – what is this man thinking ? What is he imagining ?

Old 1st November 2012, 08:23 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
Bet you could sell your existing player and go multi region for about 20 quid. My toshiba 3200 cost 40 quid delivered from an e-bay store, i paid a fiver for the firmware update but you could download it for free and - boom - you're good to go. Its subsequently cost me a bloody fortune right enough - these Criterion blus are like the hard drugs of film collecting, ie expensive, totally addictive but they get you high when they pop through the door (took that metaphor too far!).
Ok, you've convinced me to look into it but it probably won't be till after xmas now.

There's loads of criterion blu's that I need to pick up, till then I have the universal monsters set as well as the BBC ghost stories for xmas DVDs to get through.

I'm also looking forward to seeing killer Joe.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 3rd November 2012, 07:57 PM
Cult Master

As much as I loathe the film (and believe me, I DO), the commentary track on 'Bruno' with Sacha Baron Cohen and director Larry Charles is very good

It is an 'Enhanced Commentary', which runs about 20 minutes longer than the actual film. At various points during the movie, the picture freezes while they continue talking, and this means they are able to give much more information about certain scenes

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 3rd November 2012, 07:58 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
As much as I loathe the film (and believe me, I DO), the commentary track on 'Bruno' with Sacha Baron Cohen and director Larry Charles is very good

It is an 'Enhanced Commentary', which runs about 20 minutes longer than the actual film. At various points during the movie, the picture freezes while they continue talking, and this means they are able to give much more information about certain scenes
Ah, that sounds interesting. I thought the film was actually pretty funny and worked well as a satire (for the most part) but love Larry Charles anyway as a writer of Seinfeld and director of Curb Your Enthusiasm so must give this a go. It seems like the sort of film where the story behind its making would be just as, if not more, interesting than the film itself.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 4th November 2012, 11:19 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post

That's such a great idea, wish more films used that.

My heart always sinks when one of my favourite scenes is coming up, but the actor or director on the commentary is rattling on about something not even related to the movie, and so the scene goes by without a mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Ah, that sounds interesting. I thought the film was actually pretty funny and worked well as a satire (for the most part) but love Larry Charles anyway as a writer of Seinfeld and director of Curb Your Enthusiasm so must give this a go. It seems like the sort of film where the story behind its making would be just as, if not more, interesting than the film itself.
It didn't hold back that's for sure.

However my favourite Bruno moment was from the Ali G TV show when he got some dickhead club owner in Miami to say World War II wouldn't have happened if House Music was around at the time, but earlier mentions how he would just ignore someone in a wheelchair outside his club.

Old 4th November 2012, 11:23 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I love that moment during The Evil Dead commentary where Bruce Campbell shovels dirt over the lens of the camera obscuring all but a pinhole view of Campbell's face, and Raimi without missing a beat notes "That was luck"...
Rik likes this.
Old 5th November 2012, 10:42 PM
Cultist

Some great ones that come to mind are Coppola's Godfather I and II commentaries, Scorsese's Goodfellas track, and Tim Lucas' Black Sunday one.

What I really regret though is William Castle, Sam Arkoff/James Nicholson, Mario Bava, and Vincent Price not being around to do some. I mean who wouldn't want to hear Price doing a commentary for Witchfinder General?
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 5th November 2012, 10:44 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
(Shamelessly reposted from my blog, but I think there's a few Heat fans on this board)

From the Heat commentary, Michael Mann remembers a primary source of inspiration behind his cops n’ robbers epic Heat...

There was a painting that inspired me about this moment and that painting probably got me interested in making this motion picture of Heat longer than anything else, and it was a painting of a table with a .45 on it and a rear shot of a man standing against a background, and contained within it somebody was involved in some life of aggression and action and yet the contrast was in the mental state because here was a moment of inner loneliness. It didn’t dictate something, instead it posed a question – what is this man thinking ? What is he imagining ?

Actully, it's a Browning Hi-Power not a Colt .45 ACP.
Old 11th November 2012, 08:49 PM
Cult Addict

The Commentary from David Hess and Co on the Anchor Bay disc of Last House on the Left is erm, interesting, to say the least.
Old 11th November 2012, 09:09 PM
Cultist

Some others that come to mind....

The Creature From The Black Lagoon
The Deathmaster
All the Classic Media Godzillas
Destroy All Monsters (Tokyo Shock)
Frankenstein Vs. Baragon (Tokyo Shock)
War of the Gargantuas/Rodan (Tokyo Shock)

Also, thought some of you may be interested in these,

Pirate Commentaries
PIRATE COMMENTARIES : Icons of Fright – Horror News | Horror Interviews | Horror Reviews & More!

Like this? Share it using the links below!