Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Which kind of giallo do you like best?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Which kind of giallo do you like best?

Like Tree1336Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th June 2022, 10:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
It has been a bit far in between watching this film and I know dubbing can be bad but this was really bad, it can put Japanese movies to shame
You should have tried the Italian dub with English subs.
g053584398, Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 12th June 2022, 10:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You should have tried the Italian dub with English subs.
I should have done, will remember that next time I watch it
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 13th June 2022, 10:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Death Walks At Midnight. 1972.

Valentina a young model is given a drug by her photographer during a photo shoot, in the midst of tripping she sees a woman being murdered. When she reports it nobody takes her seriously and begins to believe she is being stalked by the killer.

This one seems to start off well, people having a laugh and high on hallucinogenic pills, we see the murderer and his victim, then starts a game of somewhat cat and mouse. This does go a bit slow paced and becomes a bit uninteresting with the plot then back on track and gives out a twist or two.

Nieves Navarro plays the model Valentina who's tripping out ability is published by Simón Andreu and Carlo Gentili plays the Inspector who doesn't believe anything he can hear or see without proof. This wasn't the best Giallo but certainly not the worst either, be happy to re-watch it again soon.

220px-La_morte_accarezza_a_mezzanotte_poster.jpg
Old 14th June 2022, 01:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Forbidden Photos Of A Lady Above Suspicion. 1970.

Minou who married Peter and is a struggling businessman is approached by a man who tells her he has proof that Peter murdered a colleague. When Minou sleeps with the man to stop him exposing her husband, he has taken photos of their meeting and demands more than for her to be his sex slave.

This was a interesting Giallo, there is no blood, gore or any violence just some perverse sexual fantasy that doesn't go over the top or become upsetting in any way. Dagmar Lassander plays Minou who will do anything to keep her husband Pier Paolo Capponi from being exposed by blackmailer Simon Andreu and confides in friend Nieves Navarro.

From the start right to the end, this was actually well acted and goes at a good steady pace that never derailed itself and manages to stay on point. Ennio Morricone provides the back ground score that can be a hit or a miss but director Luciano Ercoli done a good job with one. Recommended.

hqdefault.jpg
Old 14th June 2022, 03:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Suspicious Death Of A Minor. 1975.

A young girl is found dead and Detective Germi from Special Branch is assigned and discovers more about the girl's background.

Sergio Martino directs this feature with Claudio Cassinelli as Paolo Germi, a unorthodox detective who teams up with young bag snatcher Adolfo Caruso to assist him in his investigation that takes him to a work agency that aren't exactly helpful. Mel Ferrer stars as the chief of police and rarely takes any nonsense. This started off interesting and got entertaining as it went on with a bit of comedy and good sarcastic comments blended in with some good decent kills mixed in. Worth a watch.

Morte-sospetta-di-una-minorenne-italian-movie-poster-md.jpg

Have a good day all
Old 14th June 2022, 08:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

So Sweet, So Dead. 1972.

Inspector Capuana is called to a body of a naked female with photo's of her and her lover, when other female victims are killed in the same way, the police believe the killer is targeting unfaithful housewives.

Take it in the 70s everyone was having a good time with sneaking out and having fun with other people? They seem to be doing it here and someone being a voyeur and killing the guilty ones. Farley Granger plays the moustached Inspector on the trail of a killer in a slow moving cat and mouse game. The direction was good with a bit of a haunting background score and plenty nice decent kills. it's one to watch but a slow burner for sure.

MV5BMWMzNDE4NzItMWVlMS00ZDhhLTk3MTYtNmFjMDIwMWMxMmJhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzgzODI1OTE@._V1_.jpg
Old 6th July 2022, 08:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

My Dear Killer. 1972.

After a decapitation of a insurance investigator, Inspector Peretti is put on to the case that may be connected to a cold case of murder, blackmail and kidnapping.

What better way to start a film off with a decapitation using a excavator and see the body hang till the head pops off, as James Bond once said, "He had no head for heights"

This one I have a love/hate thing with this movie, yeah it is interesting crime movie with George Hilton taking the lead as the inspector who looks more ito the crime and soon bodies start piling up that they can start a hockey team...his words not mine although that comment did get a smirk from me. There is some good killings shown and some nice topless scenes (excluding the young girl, that was a bit uncalled for) but the pace is just a bit slow and stop at times.

My-dear-killer-poster.jpg
Old 6th July 2022, 08:52 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
So Sweet, So Dead. 1972.

Inspector Capuana is called to a body of a naked female with photo's of her and her lover, when other female victims are killed in the same way, the police believe the killer is targeting unfaithful housewives.

Take it in the 70s everyone was having a good time with sneaking out and having fun with other people? They seem to be doing it here and someone being a voyeur and killing the guilty ones. Farley Granger plays the moustached Inspector on the trail of a killer in a slow moving cat and mouse game. The direction was good with a bit of a haunting background score and plenty nice decent kills. it's one to watch but a slow burner for sure.

Attachment 240645
Yeah I've yet to manage to sit through this one.Due another attempt.
MrBarlow likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 6th July 2022, 09:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah I've yet to manage to sit through this one.Due another attempt.
I'm sure you will be able do it Reaps
Old 6th July 2022, 10:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Smile Before Death (1972, Silvio Amadio)

What's a girl to do when you return home to find your stepfather acting shifty and that? Apart from a particular piece of music, this was a lot of fun was this one.
The "adults" are as dissolute as they come and you just know you're in for the ride when Barbara Bouchet just appears at a party
Recommended. Just ... be warned.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!