Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2012, 08:52 AM
Cult Rookie

what? you mean you didn't like the Keanu Reeves version ??
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:15 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
The BD is a double play pack with the dvd.

Although that annoying 'DOUBLE PLAY' crap only applies to the card outer case.
I completely forgot about the double play set, but I was only sent the BD for review so can't compare it to the DVD.

Even so, it's a good idea to put both formats in one set as you aren't limited to where you watch it in your house, who you lend it to or if an upgrade to Blu-ray is on the cards and you can't wait to watch it and see what all the fuss is about.
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I held off posting a link to my review, as it's a little spoilery, but here it is:

kill list

Initially, it comes across a bit negative and you might feel that it nitpicks. That's ok, as it all it shows is that I paid attention and wasn't bored

I had a few issues with the last act but it didn't spoil the movie for me. I remember the backlash against The Last Exorcism and didn't think it really mattered.

Kill List is original (even if I feel it references some movies) and definitely up there as one of my favourite movies of 2011.
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:58 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Nice review, Wayfarer. If you're interested, here are my (lengthy) thoughts: Kill List Blu-ray Review
wayfarer likes this.
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:19 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Nice review, Wayfarer. If you're interested, here are my (lengthy) thoughts: Kill List Blu-ray Review
Great review Nos! Very indepth I liked that you mentioned the difference between the hitmen; one does the job, no flourish, just workmanlike; the other descending into extreme anger if provoked.
Old 2nd January 2012, 04:18 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 5th January 2012, 11:15 PM
Cult Addict

I've just finished watching this. Not sure what to make of it, I loved the characters and their relationships but I'm not so sure about the whole Wicker Man/70s Satanist film ending now that the film has finished. It was great whilst watching it but on reflection it was a bit hollow. Now, I like a film that leaves me guessing but this left me more annoyed, as the viewer is not given enough information regarding the occultists to even hazard a guess as to what the hell it all means. Perhaps a little too clever for its own good.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 6th January 2012, 06:34 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Fair do's mate.Everyone to their own.

But what about the violent outbursts?

Top notch eh?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 6th January 2012, 07:01 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I've just finished watching this. Not sure what to make of it, I loved the characters and their relationships but I'm not so sure about the whole Wicker Man/70s Satanist film ending now that the film has finished. It was great whilst watching it but on reflection it was a bit hollow. Now, I like a film that leaves me guessing but this left me more annoyed, as the viewer is not given enough information regarding the occultists to even hazard a guess as to what the hell it all means. Perhaps a little too clever for its own good.
If that's the case then I really recommend you listen to Wheatley and Amy Smart's commentary.
You can hear how they just kept trimming and trimming back the exposition during the writing and filming process.

So I guess for some people they cut back to much, but for folks like me, I'm more than happy with ambiguity and now that I've seen it four times it feels absolutely logical.

Ultimately, I believe it to be a character study about the two protagonists, in fact, probably more about Jay and his almost Kurtz-like transformation (even the poster plays on Apocalypse Now). There are quite a lot clues as to where the film's heading re. the cult, but some can be overlooked with just one viewing.

Anyway my recommend is definitely give the commentary a blast, in fact both commentary tracks are great with the actors one proving to be a barrel of laughs, which really offsets the on-screen tension. Must have fun to make.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 6th January 2012, 05:40 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phurious View Post
If that's the case then I really recommend you listen to Wheatley and Amy Smart's commentary.
You can hear how they just kept trimming and trimming back the exposition during the writing and filming process.

So I guess for some people they cut back to much, but for folks like me, I'm more than happy with ambiguity and now that I've seen it four times it feels absolutely logical.

Ultimately, I believe it to be a character study about the two protagonists, in fact, probably more about Jay and his almost Kurtz-like transformation (even the poster plays on Apocalypse Now). There are quite a lot clues as to where the film's heading re. the cult, but some can be overlooked with just one viewing.

Anyway my recommend is definitely give the commentary a blast, in fact both commentary tracks are great with the actors one proving to be a barrel of laughs, which really offsets the on-screen tension. Must have fun to make.
I did watch it with the Ben and Amy commentary straight after viewing the film to try and understand more but found Wheatley not forth coming, him saying "I understand it" and not answering his wife's question about the masks just left me more annoyed. Personally I feel he may have stripped too much away, though the idea of two occult groups battling it out sounded pretty crap to me so I am glad he stripped back the plot that way. It's one of the best commentaries I've heard since "The Naked Witch" and "Valhalla Rising". I'll give the actors one a go soon.

Anyway, as me original post stated I was only unsure of the ending after watching the film, during it I was totally with the plot and ending, perhaps I didn't make that clear.

@Reaps, loved the violence, there was something very satisfying about the realism of it that is lacking in a lot of modern horror films.

Like this? Share it using the links below!