Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th January 2014, 10:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I get where jerryvonkramer is coming from - I tend to hold all films to the same standards, horror or otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some 'schlock', but it doesn't affect me like a 'quality' film does.
Most of my favourites are a blend of horror and something else - The Thing, Alien, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, Videodrome, Se7en, Kill List etc.

Pure horror faves would include Halloween, Session 9, Night of the LD, Fulci's Gates of Hell trilogy, ZFE, The Shining, The Evil Dead, Inside etc.

Not a whole lot of schlock - maybe the Fulci's and The Evil Dead?
Old 8th January 2014, 11:08 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I have to admit I'm much more forgiving of horror than most other genres.

For instance, I could get more out of a shitty horror film than a shitty drama or comedy etc.

There are different ages/varieties of shlock too, but most incorporate some sort of 'rip-off' quality: the countless Italian zombie and possession spin-offs in the '70s and '80s; the numerous rip-off/homage slasher films of the '80s and '90s; the modern day rip-offs of bigger budget horror franchises; Syfy/The Asylum 'creature feature' offerings. You just have to find your 'shlock niche' and go from there. As above, everyone has their own opinion on what constitutes schlock and how they define it... it all comes down to personal interpretation, and above all enjoyment.

Plus enjoyment tends to be the key in what an individual classes as shlock or just plain awful cinema, as 'shlock' in itself is a more endearing term
Old 9th January 2014, 01:15 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Some of my favourite films are, by most people's standards shit. But....who can beat Neil Sedaka singing the theme to Sting of Death. Which is basically a man in a plastic bag...

Last edited by Daemonia; 9th January 2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10th January 2014, 01:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Everyone perceptive of whats good / bad etc if different like someone all time favourite film could be detested by someome else, and the facts we all have our view and perceptive and opinions without being criticsed is part of what makes this site so great. Some people dont see horrors as horrors unless its full of blood and guts yet other are fed up off films that solely relie on that. Take bad taste acting / story etc is terrible but I think the film its entertaining in every sense . Type of film I would expect monty python to make if they attempted horror, again basket case is a cult film but wont get any awards of any sort . Horror come in all sort of shapes and sizes i look at films for what they are and in different ways than my friends thats why im always getting slated by them eg the fact that the film could actually happen is horrific and terrifing within itself.. plenty of good films out there that are top notch for the acting but let down by the fact the storyline is shite or badly directed .. what actualy makes a good horror ? No one actualy knows because each person view off whats good and bad and why is different , whats good by the public could be hated by critics and vice versa , I mean I know its not horror but look at the film critics off Django unchained most critics give it 9 10 out of ten but its a bit divided on here , me personally I was totaly bored and unimpressed by it.
Vipp likes this.
Old 10th January 2014, 02:45 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'd recommend Lars Von Trier's 'Antichrist' and Andrzej Zulawski's 'Possession' to the original poster. Plus J-horror by Kiyoshi Kurosawa (Cure, Kairo, Sakebi, Loft, Door 3, Kourei) & Hideo Nakata (Ringu, Ringu 2, Dark Water, Joyu-rei) if you haven't seen them, 'Jacob's Ladder', 'Repulsion' by Roman Polanski since you're a fan of Rosemary's Baby, oh and 'Candyman' holds up really well by the way!

Shame you don't like Lynch, I find his films terrifying.
Old 10th January 2014, 03:17 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

A lot of great films you've listed there, gasteropod.
sjconstable likes this.
Old 10th January 2014, 07:14 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'd like to think that I have a pretty high tolerance for challenging Cinema, but two particular genres of movies I've never been able to handle are the TV movie-of-the-week and the post-Basic Instinct erotic thriller. There's been a glut of these films made since the 90's and I don't think there's been a single breakout film of either style (perhaps To Catch A Killer, the 1992 John Wayne Gacy biopic staring Brian Dennehy, naturally). The thing is, the true movies are usually made with some degree of technical proficiency, and the erotic thriller has plenty of softcore sex and nudity, but still these films are about as inviting as a blocked toilet.
Old 10th January 2014, 11:26 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I'd like to think that I have a pretty high tolerance for challenging Cinema, but two particular genres of movies I've never been able to handle are the TV movie-of-the-week and the post-Basic Instinct erotic thriller. There's been a glut of these films made since the 90's and I don't think there's been a single breakout film of either style (perhaps To Catch A Killer, the 1992 John Wayne Gacy biopic staring Brian Dennehy, naturally). The thing is, the true movies are usually made with some degree of technical proficiency, and the erotic thriller has plenty of softcore sex and nudity, but still these films are about as inviting as a blocked toilet.
What do you call a breakout film Wes?

There were plenty of popular erotic thrillers on the heels of Basic Instinct. - The Last Seduction, Color of Night, Single White Female, Jade, Bound, Wild Things, the much derided but never the less famous Body of Evidence and Sliver, perhaps even Eyes Wide Shut falls into this category.
Old 10th January 2014, 11:14 PM
Cult Rookie

Did I say I don't like Lynch? Where? That's not true. I really rate Lynch.

I haven't seen all the films you recommended, so will check some out soon.

One that I did see some time last year, however, was Repulsion and thought it was terrific.
Old 10th January 2014, 11:27 PM
Cult Addict

This trailer doesn't really do the film justice but the film is amazing, beautiful and mad as f*ck!

Frankie Teardrop likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!