Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree620Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th June 2019, 06:57 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

MV5BNjUxNzg3MGYtNjRjNC00OTQ5LWIxNTItMzNmM2RlZTRhNTM3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzI5NDcxNzI@._V1_.jpg

Picking up right from where The Return Of Chandu left off Princess Nadji is kidnapped by the evil cult of Umbasti and taken to the island of Lemuria where they intend to sacrifice here in order to resurrect the goddess Ossana whos souls now lives inside of Princess Nadji. Only one person can save her but is the black magic that protects the island be too much for even the great Chandu.

Compared to The Return of Chandu this is a major let down i really did expect more for the conclusion of the story but it really is going through the motions. Usually when the film is bad and the script is weak and all the actors around him are terrible Bela can usually save a film or at least stand out and bring life to his scenes but here his lines are bad and there are not many of them just like the film its self even Bela is just going through the motions its hard to watch when he usually has a pep in his step and a glint in his eye but here he is emotionless.

This is is the Poltergeist 3 of its days instead of saying Carol Ann a million times Chandu Chandu Chandu Chandu Chandu Chandu is most of the script

A very boring slog and a very disappointing performance from Bela . Not impress

3/10
Old 27th June 2019, 07:04 PM
Cult Master

murder-by-television-3.jpg

Next up for Bela would be Murder By Television fingers crossed he is back on form for this outing.
Old 8th July 2019, 04:41 PM
Cult Master

4449635691_9f41cab537_z.jpg

Inventor James Houghland has come up with a new way to transmit television pictures anywhere in the world instantly. Word of this new invention has caught the attention of many wealthy men all intent on buying Houghland out but he is having none of it and so enraging some of the shader interested parties. On the night that Mr. Houghland is showing off his debut transmission he is murdered live on TV and everyone at his house is a suspect.

This was the longest 54 minutes of my life some of the most wooden acting i have ever seen in my life it was like the Harry Enfield sketch Mr.Cholmondley-Warner. Many of the scenes consisting of a room full of people staring at each other and not saying anything. The ending was pretty rubbish too so no great clever pay off just one that made no sense.

Bela himself is decent considering how bad the script is and he is the only one in the whole film that shows any type of emotion in his acting. It must of been horrendous for him to have to try and act with the people.

Avoid at all costs

2/10

2 for Lugosi.
Old 8th July 2019, 04:46 PM
Cult Master

phantom-ship-1.jpg

Next up Bela hits the seven seas what adventures await..... murder of course what else
Old 9th July 2019, 07:02 PM
Cult Master

98b0d331d72e0afecd08746e631165e0.jpg

The Mary Celeste is about to leave port on a voyage doomed from the start. Before they even leave mutiny is in the air and then there are 13 men on board and a black cat just to top it off. For some strange reason the ships captain has decided to take his new bride on the voyage giving some of the men on board unsavory ideas. During a bad storm one of the mates tries to rape the captains wife but Anton Lorenzen (Lugosi) steps in and murders her attack. From then on people start dropping like flies and numerous attempts are made on the captains life also. Everyone has a motive but who is the one brave enough to carry it out.

Phantom Ship had some great potential but sadly wasted it running at 61 minutes it just feels like nothing is happening. When people are murdered he don't see even a body someone just says a certain someone is dead and was dumped over board and thats all we get. Nice day today oh look a body anyway as i was saying Usually in films like this there are a few suspects acting odd trying to throw us a curve ball but really from the start there is only one outcome to this story.

Bela gives a really great performance here he is a broken man haunted by an incident at sea that he just cant escape the memory of. I gotta say his make up is fantastic he looks about 40 years older than he actually is while filming this it took a second look to realise it was him when he first appeared on screen. Once again he is the standout performer in another weak film depending on him to make it a hit.

5/10

Bela is great and its not a terrible film but it could of been a lot better as i mentioned earlier it had so much potential but failed to achieve it.
Old 9th July 2019, 07:07 PM
Cult Master

The_Invisible_Ray_poster.jpg

Now we are talking Belas next film sees him reuniting with Boris Karloff which is always a treat.
Old 9th July 2019, 07:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 216728

Now we are talking Belas next film sees him reuniting with Boris Karloff which is always a treat.
hurry up ….I want to read about Glen or Glenda & Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla …..

Old 9th July 2019, 07:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
hurry up ….I want to read about Glen or Glenda & Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla …..
Only 39 more reviews before Glen or Glenda.
Old 9th July 2019, 07:45 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
38 and 39 films respectively to go
Old 10th July 2019, 06:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Scream Factory/Shout! Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 216728

I see Scream Factory/Shout! Factory are releasing this on Blu...

universalhorrorblu.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!