All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree620Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th March 2016, 10:26 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I understand a sequel is already at the publishers.

Nordicdusk and the Lost Lugosi Reviews.

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 3rd May 2016, 07:32 PM
Cult Master

sr41_whisperingshadow-5.jpg

Chapter 5 Wanted For Murder

One on The Whispering Shadows goons is captured by the police but he cant give up the identity of the shadow because no one has every seen him only heard his voice. Suddenly he drops to the ground and dies after The Shadow uses his deadly mysterious electronic death ray from which there is no escape the only evidence of this is a burn on the back of the victim. The lack of evidence begins to frustrate everyone and the accusations start to fly around like crazy and everyone is now a suspect no one trusts anyone and everyone has their own ideas of who the Whispering Shadow is and who has the Jewels that everyone is so desperately trying to get their hands on.

Foster is still convinced that Strang is the Shadow but his daughter works tirelessly to prove her father is innocent. Meanwhile at Mr Jarvis's hotel room the last person known to have the jewels a breaded stranger visits and holds him at gun point and takes the package he believes to contain the jewels. But in the struggle he fires off a shot and kills Jarvis but when police arrive they see Foster leave the hotel and he becomes the number one suspect.

Can Foster clear his name and who is this bearded stranger that has entered the mix. Tune in next week when some of you're questions may or may not be answered.

Chapter 5 has been the weakest episode so far with a large portion on the 17 minutes running time spent in flash back to previous chapters and even more disappointing Bela Lugosi barely features at all just a couple of lines to tie scenes together.
Old 3rd May 2016, 07:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 178310

Chapter 5 Wanted For Murder

Chapter 5 has been the weakest episode so far with a large portion on the 17 minutes running time spent in flash back to previous chapters
Good job as it was so long ago we've forgotten what happened.
Old 3rd May 2016, 09:45 PM
Cult Master

Chapter 6 The Man Who Was Czar

Chapter 6 kicks of with the bearded stranger fleeing the murder scene at high speed into the countryside but as usual Foster is close behind but both men are unaware they are headed for a potentially fatal trap set up by The Shadows men along the escape route. Miraculously both men avoid the bomb that is set to blow as soon as they speed past but in the confusion the bearded stranger makes a clear getaway and looses Foster in the process. Strangs daughter still trying her best to convince Foster that her father has nothing to do with The Shadow and the jewels confesses that she saw Steinbeck the owner of the warehouse take the jewel so while he rushes back to confront Steinbeck Vera head back to the hotel knowing that the jewel are somewhere in Jarvis's room.

When she arrives at the room a tearful Vera pretends to the policeman at guarding the room that she is infact Jarvis's sister and he reluctantly allows her access to the room going against his orders and better judgement. Only moments after she gets inside detectives arrive to examine the room for clues to the identity of the killer. Knowing her lie has been exposed she escapes down the fire escape but she has not left empty handed she has a note detailing the exact whereabouts of the much coveted jewels. She rushes back to the museum to tell her father the good news.

Only Jarvis knew where the jewels were hidden up until now but with the information Strang could hatch a plan to make them his own once and for all but they have under estimated the power of The Shadow because he hears and sees all and this is no exception. Now Vera her father and The Shadows men all head for the hotel where the jewels are hidden in the hotel safe. But yet more traps and twists await them with the detectives awaiting in the hotel to capture anyone who returns to Jarvis's room. Wouldnt you know it like a bad penny Foster keeps on showing up but this time may be his last time showing up anywhere alive. When he enters the safe room The Shadows men are already there and a mass brawl breaks out between police Foster and the goons. In the midst of the craziness Foster is knocked out of the fourth story window to certain death.

Who will claim the jewels? Are they even in the safe? Can Foster survive this latest brush with death? Tune in next time where all will be revealed or not who knows.

This chapter was a slight return to form with no flash back taking up the already limited time we get with each chapter. They are keeping up the tradition of high speed car chases and punch ups but this time we are treated to a man falling from a fourth floor window which looked pretty convincing for the time. I still find that they tried to cram way too much into each chapter i would rather longer chapters because it really does move at a break neck speed with so many characters coming and going and at least six or seven people becoming the prime suspect in each chapter. Still enjoying it but sometimes it is a little much to try and take in remembering who is who. Like Chapter 5 Lugosi is largely absent from this chapter only getting the bare amount of screen time his screen time is so short its impossible to say anything about his performance.
Old 4th August 2016, 10:04 AM
Cult Master

Bloody hell it's dusty in here. I'm going to put the final six episodes into one review so I can get moving with the next film. Worst show ever never seen so many mid season breaks in my life
Old 1st September 2016, 05:20 PM
Cult Master

In the process of watching episodes 7 -12 right now will have the whispering shadow done and dusted by the way

The Butler Did it.
Old 1st September 2016, 06:04 PM
Cult Master

Chapters 7 - 12

I have come to the end of my long long overly long journey with The Whispering Shadow for that i do apologize and without going into any more story details it does seem like this is a mini series best watched one chapter at a time with some time in between visits. What started out as fast paced and exciting show quickly became to same old same old. Every chapter has so much going on at such a fast pace it's easy to get confused as to who is who and what each character has been doing so far. The Jewels change hands five or six times in each chapter which is a hell of a lot in such short chapters. The flash backs get a little annoying as i have said before some flashbacks take up to five minutes of a 15 minute show especially in the final chapter it is mainly flashbacks the whole way through and it seems like every single character left alive for the final chapter is revealing who they really are

Overall it's enjoyable enough the plot gets a bit too chaotic at times but the fist fights,stunts and high speed car chases make it worth a watch. My brain is still fried from the final chapter it reminded me of the end of Life Of Brian Im Brian and so is my wife

Watching it on youtube is a mixed bag some of the chapters are perfect where others the voices are way out of sink and then others peoples faces are so bleached out you can't tell who is who.
Old 1st September 2016, 06:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Can you believe it Nordy?

You restart the Lugosi thread at the very same time i decide to breath new life into the Gothic thread.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 1st September 2016, 07:24 PM
Cult Master

220px-NightOfTerror1933.jpg

Police have been vainly searching the countryside for the knife-wielding Maniac, who has been on a murderous spree. The Maniac's victims are each found with a taunting newspaper clipping attached to their body. After the wealthy uncle of a young scientist is mysteriously murdered, people wonder if the Maniac is responsible.

Prior to his uncle's death, the young scientist in question, Dr. Arthur Hornsby, claimed to have developed a method of living without oxygen for extended periods. To prove his theory, he had himself buried after taking a dose of the serum. Despite his incapacity, the death of his uncle leaves a vast fortune, which is to be divided amongst his family members and servants. In the event that one or more them dies, the inheritance is split among the remaining survivors. Subsequently, members of the family begin to die, one-by-one, and suspicion is cast on the servants, including the "mystic" butler.

This a fun murder mystery set in an old house with secret passageways an old cellar and a very strange Hindu servant played by Lugosi and his wife who can talk to people from the other side. Its the usual story everyone's a suspect when people start dying and there is money at stake and of course all eyes are on Degar (Lugosi's character) and once you see him you can understand why. He is one of the most suspicious characters in a films i have seen since Willard from Pieces

pieces-5.jpg

He just sort of floats and creeps around the house and if he is not the main focus in a scene he is in the background somewhere peeking around a door or hiding in the shadows acting like he is up to no good.

This film has all the typical characters jealous family members creepy servants full of them self cops and a pushy know it all journalist oh and of course the maniac who keeps popping up throughout like they are throwing a curve ball at the audience with his constant presence. I almost forgot like a lot of films of the time there had to be the comedic relief character and sadly this character is a common one from the time a black wided eyed driver with over reaction to every situation with flailing arms and he is almost dancing around the screen rather than moving normally. But it was all the rage back then so it's sort of hard to judge now.

Well worth a watch if you can find a good copy and that ending although pretty cheesey now im sure it frightened a good few movie goers back in the 30,s. Great stuff
Old 1st September 2016, 07:27 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Can you believe it Nordy?

You restart the Lugosi thread at the very same time i decide to breath new life into the Gothic thread.
And im giving a special offer of two for the price of one for today only

Like this? Share it using the links below!