All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th November 2009, 10:56 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
the film is not a proper Giallo imo more like a low-key revenge potboiler.
Yeah, I'm not sure why people brand it a giallo - well other than the tendency to call any Italian psycho-thriller a giallo! - it's clearly not!

I don't think that reflects badly on the film. It's others who have categorised it incorrectly.
Old 25th November 2009, 11:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

People also say Michele Soavi's Stagefright is giallo but its clearly a slasher.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 25th November 2009, 11:17 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure why people brand it a giallo - well other than the tendency to call any Italian psycho-thriller a giallo!
Interesting essay on 'Giallo' here.
Old 25th November 2009, 11:23 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Interesting essay on 'Giallo' here.
Ah, yes. Thanks. Seen that before. Not entirely sure about all of it, but it's an interesting read. However, none of the pictures would load for me for some reason. Annoying.
Old 25th November 2009, 11:24 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Some good choices there, Paul.
Cheers, Vincenzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
I like it, I think David Hemmings and Fabio Testi work well together and that plane chase at the end is great fun.

But yes, his other crime films are better.
It was one that I was unable to see for years and when I finally caught it I was quite disappointed. Not really a fan of the Goblin score, either.
Old 25th November 2009, 11:29 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
People also say Michele Soavi's Stagefright is giallo but its clearly a slasher.
It's both I'd say. I think it has the requisite atmosphere that I expect from gialli. But it's more a slasher probably. It sits in both camps like Bay Of Blood, I think.

Giallo is a difficult term and subject to individual interpretation. As the essay Vince posted a link to says, it's not really specific concrete genre. Film Noir presents similar difficulties. So too does the notion of "Gothic" as a genre...

What is Giallo or Noir to one person is not to another. I find "Action" to be a similarly amorphous "genre". I have real trouble working out what is considered an "action film" rather than say SF, Western or Noir, or if things can be happily both or what...?

This is why the concept of genre is fascinating and has intrigued European critics and filmmakers for decades I suppose!

But we (well, I!) digress from Enzo!
Old 25th November 2009, 11:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post

It was one that I was unable to see for years and when I finally caught it I was quite disappointed. Not really a fan of the Goblin score, either.
I agree woth you on that one. Its not one of their best scores.

Old 25th November 2009, 11:34 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Don't forget all murder mysteries, no matter which country of origin, are referred to as gialli in Italy, so this is probably where it being labelled a giallo stems from. The film was obviously made to cash-in on the success of the slasher cycle of the 80s, but it certainly has elements that are synonymous with the giallo too.
Old 25th November 2009, 11:38 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
Don't forget all murder mysteries, no matter which country of origin, are referred to as gialli in Italy, so this is probably where it being labelled a giallo stems from.
Indeed, I first became aware of the term in relation to Bava and Argento, but very soon after, having had my curiosity piqued, saw it being used in Italian sourced/referencing texts to refer to the likes of the Harry Alan Towers "Ten Little Indians" and comedy mysteries like "The Alphabet Murders" and such.

And of course to the books - John Dickson Carr, Agatha Christie, Rex Stout, Edgar Wallace (which brings us to the Krimi, of course!) and so on. Few of which have anything to do with the baroque slasher pics of the 60s-80s people usually think of...
Old 25th November 2009, 11:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It does have elements of the giallo but for me it's a slasher. A very good one as well.

Like this? Share it using the links below!