Old 14th September 2019, 06:45 PM
Cult Master

New music - 'Ball And Chain'

It sounds like The Who, and Roger still has it

nosferatu42 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 15th September 2019, 03:34 PM
Cult Master

For those who have the Sky Arts channel, it seems that Saturday, September 21st is Who Day

3:00pm
Classic Quadrophenia
From London's Royal Albert Hall, Pete Townshend, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, conductor Robert Ziegler and a host of guests, including Alfie Boe, put a classical spin on the Who's 1973 album Quadrophenia

4:30pm
The Who: Tommy Live at the Royal Albert Hall
A concert from 2017 in which the band perform their rock opera Tommy in its entirety for the first time, with tracks including The Acid Queen and Pinball Wizard

6:00pm
Classic Albums
The Who - Who's Next
The story behind the recording of the Who's 1971 album Who's Next, featuring archive footage of the group and interviews with Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend

7:00pm
Discovering Music
Discovering: The Who
Music critics discuss the rise of the veteran rock band whose career spans more than 50 years, from their formation at school in London to sell-out tours around the world

7:30pm
The Who: Live at Kilburn 1977
A performance by the rock group, filmed at Gaumont State Cinema in London in December 1977. Featuring hits such as Substitute, My Generation and Who Are You

9:00pm
Quadrophenia: Our Generation
Celebrity fans and cast members come together to shed light on the making of Quadrophenia and explore the legacy that the cult film has left behind, 40 years after its release

10:00pm
Quadrophenia Reunited: 40 Years On
Lauren Laverne hosts a one-off special bringing the stars of Quadrophenia together. Featuring reminiscing, interviews, a table-read of the script and plenty of other surprises

11:30pm
Film Quadrophenia (1979)
A teenager in 1960s London is unhappy with his lot in life, but believes he has found a place to belong in the mod subculture and their feud with the rival rockers. As the mods gather in Brighton for a weekend that turns to violence, his naive vision of the world is cruelly shattered. Drama based on the Who album, starring Phil Daniels, Leslie Ash, Sting and Ray Winstone

Old 23rd September 2019, 03:17 PM
Cult Master

Collector's Edition MOJO & Exclusive CD | The Who Store - £15.99

"MOJO PRESENTS: THE WHO’S NEW ALBUM – AND A SPECIAL COLLECTORS’ COVER EDITION OF MOJO

Mojo teamed up with The Who to create a bundle of an exclusive soft-pack edition of their remarkable new album and a bespoke edition of this issue of MOJO. This one off limited CD pressing is pressed on black base CD.

Tracklist
1. All This Music Must Fade
2. Ball and Chain
3. I Don’t Wanna Get Wise
4. Detour
5. Beads On One String
6. Hero Ground Zero
7. Street Song
8. I’ll Be Back
9. Break The News
10. Rockin’ In Rage
11. She Rocked My World

The Who are back with their first new album in thirteen years entitled WHO due for release on 22nd November.

The eleven-track album was mostly recorded in London and Los Angeles during Spring and Summer 2019 and was co-produced by Pete Townshend & Dave Sardy with vocal production by Dave Eringa.

Singer Roger Daltrey and guitarist and songwriter Pete Townshend are joined on the album by long-time Who drummer Zak Starkey, bassist Pino Palladino along with contributions from Simon Townshend, Benmont Tench, Carla Azar, Joey Waronker and Gordon Giltrap.

The album cover has been created by famed pop artist, Sir Peter Blake who first met the band in 1964 at a taping of the legendary TV show Ready Steady Go. Sir Peter designed and contributed a painting to the sleeve of The Who’s album Face Dances in 1981.

The songs on WHO cover a myriad of subjects including the Grenfell Tower fire, musical theft, spirituality, reincarnation, the power of memory and ‘an old rock star that has lost his marbles’. Singer Roger Daltrey rates it amongst their strongest “I think we’ve made our best album since Quadrophenia in 1973, Pete hasn’t lost it, he’s still a fabulous songwriter, and he’s still got that cutting edge”.

Pete Townshend ""This album is almost all new songs written last year, with just two exceptions. There is no theme, no concept, no story, just a set of songs that I (and my brother Simon) wrote to give Roger Daltrey some inspiration, challenges and scope for his newly revived singing voice. Roger and I are both old men now, by any measure, so I’ve tried to stay away from romance, but also from nostalgia if I can. I didn’t want to make anyone feel uncomfortable. Memories are OK, and some of the songs refer to the explosive state of things today. I made new home studio demos of all these songs in the summer of 2018 using a wide collection of instruments old and new.”"

Old 26th September 2019, 12:25 PM
Cult Master

Alan Partridge interviews Roger

Old 27th September 2019, 12:42 PM
Cult Master

Get well soon, Roger

The Who Postpone Show After Roger Daltrey Loses His Voice | Ultimate Classic Rock

"The Who had to cut last night's concert at Houston's Toyota Center short after only eight songs after Roger Daltrey lost his voice.

It's unknown what caused Daltrey to have difficulties, but in the below video, Pete Townshend quips something about an allergist. Daltrey struggled through "Who Are You," with Townshend eventually picking up the lead vocals. According to Setlist.fm, the band played one more song, the Townshend-sung "Eminence Front," after that.

Daltrey then told the crowd, "I think I should quit while I'm ahead," and walked offstage. After a delay, Townshend came back onstage and broke the bad news to the audience.

"I'm really, really sorry," he said. "Roger cannot actually speak now. Apparently, before the show he saw a doctor, and, you know, he's been singing so ****ing great through this tour. I don't know what the ****'s going on. He has been on top of his game."

Townshend added that there was no point in trying to work out a set that "makes any sense because this is Roger's show, really. It's a vocal show, and he's not in good shape." He thanked the orchestra and the audience for their understanding, and promised to return when their schedule allowed them, though he's unsure when that will be, since Daltrey's vocal surgeon requires him to take a day off after each date"

Tonight's show in Dallas, and the one scheduled for Sunday in Denver have also been postponed

Old 28th September 2019, 10:31 AM
Cult Master

Roger as Vlad in ' Vampirella'

nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 3rd October 2019, 10:53 AM
Cult Master

October 3rd, 1973 - The Who record their appearance for the 500th edition of the music programme 'Top Of The Pops', to be broadcast the following evening

The audience consists of celebrities and industry people

As was customary for the time, and strictly adhered to by union guidelines, the band mimed to a pre-recorded backing tape but with live vocals. Angered at the bureaucracy imposed on their performance, at the end Pete switched on his guitar amp and started to play live. The sound engineers cut the power to the amp and Pete went ballistic - smashing his guitar and Keith's drums and then giving the BBC industry people in the audience the finger, Meanwhile, Keith threw wigs from the prop department!

A lifetime BBC ban on The Who is imposed until a letter of apology is sent and accepted. An edited version of the taping airs the following night

The full line up for the edition was:
  • CCS – Whole Lotta Love
  • The Osmonds – Let Me In
  • Bryan Ferry – A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall
  • Cliff Richard – Take Me High
  • David Bowie – The Laughing Gnome (video)
  • Dawn feat. Tony Orlando – Say, Has Anybody Seen My Sweet Gypsy Rose
  • Dawn feat. Tony Orlando – Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree
  • The Jackson 5 – Skywriter
  • Lynsey De Paul – Won’t Somebody Dance With Me
  • The Isley Brothers – That Lady (danced to by Pan’s People)
  • The Sweet – Ballroom Blitz
  • David Cassidy – The Puppy Song
  • David Cassidy – Daydreamer
  • The Who – 5:15
  • Simon Park Orchestra – Eye Level (Theme From The T.V. Series ‘Van Der Valk’) (and credits)

and the presenters were:
  • Savile
  • Tony Blackburn
  • Noel Edmonds
  • Kenny Everett
nosferatu42 and bleakshaun like this.

Old 4th October 2019, 10:37 AM
Cult Master

New music

A good throwback to The Who of old

Old 6th October 2019, 03:00 PM
Cult Master

One of John's guitars is up for sale on E-Bay

It's available as a 'buy now' option - US $35,000.00 (approximately £28,465.70)

The description:

"Fender Swinger guitar, personally owned by John Entwistle of The Who from 1969 when the band released their classic rock opera ''Tommy''. The Fender Swinger guitar is one of the rarest production guitars, with only 250 to 300 made and less than 30 in this Lake Placid Blue finish, aged to a deep green. Guitar shows serial #264153 on its neckplate, matching the guitar in John Entwistle's book ''Bass Culture: The John Entwistle Bass Collection'', where it's featured on page 56; copy of the book is included. Also included are two lot tags and lotting sticker from Sotheby's where the guitar sold on 13 May 2003 as lot 191 in John Entwistle's estate sale, ''The John Entwistle Collection''. Some nicks and chipping to body of guitar, as expected from use, overall very good condition. In Fender hardshell case measuring 41'' x 14'', which has an old Continental Airlines tag tucked inside. A scarce guitar by one of the greatest rock 'n roll bassists."

Like this? Share it using the links below!