Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree3087Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th March 2024, 01:11 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Went to see the priest last night.

Opening was Uriah Heep i have to be honest i know nothing about this band i was aware of them but never actually listened i may have heard some songs but that is it to then so i went in with no expectations. They only had 35 minutes and it wasn't enough because they were brilliant the sound was spot on you could hear every instrument perfectly yes even the bass was prominent . They actually blew me away all the songs from old to new were pure rock and the vocals were outstanding its a shame they didn't have longer but they really bossed the stage for the time they had and the crowd loved every second of it.

Saxon took the stage next and the crowd went mental as soon as they appeared i got the feeling even waiting outside the venue that more people were actually there to see Saxon rather than The Priest. Saxon were absolutely amazing they were easily band of the night they had the whole place eating out of the palms of their hands every single song was amazing i have to admit that i laughed the first time i heard Roswell but it sounded fantastic live Biff was on top of his game his vocals were amazing and his banter with crowd was funny yet honest and not cheesy. I hope they come back and do their own show in a smaller venue like they did last year.

Finally it was time for The Priest and i have to admit i was nervous after hearing bad things said about Rob but i kept thinking look the man is 73 my own father is 71 and he can barely walk down the street and this man is still The Metal God so people need to give him a break. The opened with Panic Attack from the new album and i do feel he struggled with the pace of the vocals but after that he settled in to his rhythm and all was well for the most part. he did have a hard time with a couple of songs but when he sang the older ones he seemed more free and his vocals showed that. It was great hearing Love Bites live.

Overall it was a great night of classic metal and it warmed my heart to see all the dads going crazy.

Over the past few months i have been to hell and not quite made it back yet numerous attempts at taking my own life and other dark times this inst' a sympathy thing this is a cautionary tale there is help out there you just need to not be afraid to reach out just do it before its too late. The reason i bring this up here is that i'm glad i made it to witness last night probably the last time ill ever see the Priest even if they do come back that's it for me i don't want the memories tainted if future performances decline.

Also this is why i LOVE metal and why i'm so passionate about it because it can literally save your life and make you feel on top of the world even invincible.
Old 16th March 2024, 02:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Heep are a fantastic band aren't they. I only have two of their albums Wake the Sleeper and Return to Fantasy and both are terrific. It's a shame i can't play Return to Fantasy as it's on vinyl and i don't currently have a record player.

I wish i'd bought all their work over the years and i don't know why i didn't. Perhaps because they don't have a cool name, it's difficult to say.

Their latest cd Chaos and Colour is under nine quid on Amazon so i have no excuses not to buy it.

Saxon have always been tremendous live and i'm delighted they've not lost it. the likes of Wheels of Steel, 747, Princess of the Night and Power and the Glory are timeless songs as are so many others of theirs. The best thing is they are still making brilliant albums now.

I'm not surprised Priest were blown away by Saxon, and after Biff had a heart attack too. Rob still has the voice but even when i saw them on the Angel of Retribution tour he barely moved about the stage. They had Scorpions as support that night. In comparison Priest were out for the count in the first round. Again, they still make killer records though.

So pleased you enjoyed yourself last night, Nordy and i hope you've come through the worst of your troubles.
Justin101 and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 16th March 2024, 02:53 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Heep are a fantastic band aren't they. I only have two of their albums Wake the Sleeper and Return to Fantasy and both are terrific. It's a shame i can't play Return to Fantasy as it's on vinyl and i don't currently have a record player.

I wish i'd bought all their work over the years and i don't know why i didn't. Perhaps because they don't have a cool name, it's difficult to say.

Their latest cd Chaos and Colour is under nine quid on Amazon so i have no excuses not to buy it.

Saxon have always been tremendous live and i'm delighted they've not lost it. the likes of Wheels of Steel, 747, Princess of the Night and Power and the Glory are timeless songs as are so many others of theirs. The best thing is they are still making brilliant albums now.

I'm not surprised Priest were blown away by Saxon, and after Biff had a heart attack too. Rob still has the voice but even when i saw them on the Angel of Retribution tour he barely moved about the stage. They had Scorpions as support that night. In comparison Priest were out for the count in the first round. Again, they still make killer records though.

So pleased you enjoyed yourself last night, Nordy and i hope you've come through the worst of your troubles.
I really have to pick up more Saxon albums I won't be catching up much with Uriah Heep I think he said they had 26 albums or something like that

I just checked Saxon have 25 albums
Old 16th March 2024, 03:06 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I really have to pick up more Saxon albums I won't be catching up much with Uriah Heep I think he said they had 26 albums or something like that

I just checked Saxon have 25 albums
Start at the beginning with Uriah Heel. Both "...Very 'Eavy ...Very 'Umble" and "Demons And Wizards" are highly recommended

When it comes to Saxon, I would recommend "Wheels Of Steel", "Strong Arm Of The Law", "Denim And Leather" and the live "The Eagle Has Landed"
Justin101 and Nordicdusk like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 16th March 2024, 03:21 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Start at the beginning with Uriah Heel. Both "...Very 'Eavy ...Very 'Umble" and "Demons And Wizards" are highly recommended

When it comes to Saxon, I would recommend "Wheels Of Steel", "Strong Arm Of The Law", "Denim And Leather" and the live "The Eagle Has Landed"
Thanks for that I will grab a few of them. I have Wheels of Steel and Strong Arm of the Law the only two Saxon albums I have
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 16th March 2024, 04:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

What you mean is, Saxon don't exist after 1985 as you don't recommend any of their records from the last forty years.

Thunderbolt from 2018 is superb.
Old 16th March 2024, 04:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Thanks for that I will grab a few of them. I have Wheels of Steel and Strong Arm of the Law the only two Saxon albums I have
Most of Saxon's back catalogue has just been re-released on cd with loads of extra tracks at very reasonable prices. Also re-released on vinyl as well but you could buy three cd's for the price of a vinyl

Here's a link to one of them as an example.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rock-Nation...9MZK2TZN&psc=1
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 18th March 2024, 07:46 PM
Cult Master

Old 22nd March 2024, 06:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Germany continues to embrace metal with AC/DC's Back in Black reissue a new entry at number one on the album chart. The third week in a row a classic metal artist has topped it following Bruce Dickinson and Judas Priest. As it happens AC/DC are also at number two with Highway to Hell and Priest's Invincible Shield at number three.

AC/DC, thanks to the reissues have NINE albums in the German top 30.

Meanwhile in the UK the sheep continue to stream shit like Arianne Grande because it's what Spotify tells them to.

https://www.offiziellecharts.de/charts/album
Justin101 likes this.
Old 27th March 2024, 07:11 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Five years after their 'farewell' tour...Slayer are back!!

Looks like the return of Slayer might only be a short lived thing

Kerry King (solo) is appearing at Download on the Sunday

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!