Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree398Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th October 2016, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Good stuff Mac, decent pics as well. Glad you had a great time.
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 27th October 2016, 06:51 AM
Cult Veteran

I'm going tomorrow night in Liverpool and I know a few are going to Manchester on Saturday. I'm really excited! I'll probably listen to John Carpenter themes all day at work today.

I presume that the lion's share of his setlist came from his 2 'Lost Themes' albums?
MacBlayne likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th October 2016, 01:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I'm going tomorrow night in Liverpool and I know a few are going to Manchester on Saturday. I'm really excited! I'll probably listen to John Carpenter themes all day at work today.

I presume that the lion's share of his setlist came from his 2 'Lost Themes' albums?
No, it was pretty balanced. Two tracks from each album, and the rest were extended riffs on his film themes.

Sadly, the Coup De Villes did not get a mention...

Justin101 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 27th October 2016, 06:32 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

For anyone who can't see him in person, Crack Magazine live streamed Carpenter's Bristol concert on Sunday night.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...64347406952444
Justin101 and MacBlayne like this.
Old 28th October 2016, 06:41 PM
Cult Veteran

Default The Live Music Thread

I'm in my way to the gig now. Really excited, it's just a shame I'm going on my own though.
Stephen@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 28th October 2016, 09:21 PM
Cult Veteran

Fantastic gig, although with no support act and a 90 min set it seemed like a short night out!

Old 3rd November 2016, 03:11 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Fantastic gig, although with no support act and a 90 min set it seemed like a short night out!
Looks like the set was only 75 minutes in London

Music @ The Digital Fix - John Carpenter

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 3rd November 2016, 03:14 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Looks like the set was only 75 minutes in London

Music @ The Digital Fix - John Carpenter
75 sounds right actually, he went on stage late! It was filmed in London though so hopefully that means there will be a physical release of the show.

Old 17th November 2016, 10:48 AM
Cult Acolyte

Went to see DELAIN at Southampton last night.
Bloody awesome. I was down the front.

SET LIST:

Hands of Gold
Suckerpunch
The Glory and the Scum
Get the Devil Out of Me
Pendulum
Army of Dolls
The Hurricane
April Rain
Here Come the Vultures
Fire with Fire
Danse Macabre
Sleepwalkers Dream
Stay Forever
The Gathering
Pristine
Mother Machine
Don't Let Go
We Are the Others
Old 9th December 2016, 04:11 PM
Cult Master

Went to the Motorpoint Arena in Nottingham last night

First band were The Lounge Kittens, who are a three piece girl band, who sing rock and punk songs in a lounge style, to the music of a keyboard. They were fun, and the harmonies were lovely, but they are a one joke band, and the joke will soon wear out. As good as they were, I doubt if you will be hearing much from them next year

Next up were REO Speedwagon

Setlist - Take It on the Run/Back on the Road Again/Keep On Loving You/Roll With the Changes/Keep Pushin'/Ridin' the Storm Out/Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore

They were big in the 80's, but to me they were always interchangeable with the other similar bands of the era - Foreigner, Boston, Kansas etc. They put on a good show, and you could tell that vocalist Kevin Cronin was having a good time because he insisted on telling us how much he loves Nottingham after every single song! Oh - in case anyone in the audience was not sure that they were an American AOR band, not only did they have a grand piano n stage, they also had a guitarist who played a double-neck guitar!

The headliners were The Francis Rossi Band, better known as Status Quo

Setlist - Caroline/The Wanderer/Something 'bout You Baby I Like/Rain/Softer Ride/Beginning of the End/Hold You Back/Medley (What You're Proposing, Down the Dustpipe, Wild Side of Life, Railroad, Again And Again, Slow Train)/The Oriental/Creepin' Up on You/Gerdundula/In the Army Now/Drum Solo/Roll Over Lay Down/Down Down/Whatever You Want/Rockin' All Over the World/Paper Plane/Burning Bridges (On and Off and on Again)/Bye Bye Johnny

I last saw them over 30 years ago, and they are one of those bands where you know exactly what you are going to get. However, without Rick Parfitt in the band anymore, there was something missing. The songs were wonderful and the interaction between Francis Rossi and the audience was still there, but without Parfitt, it seemed to be Francis Rossi and backing band.

This tour is supposedly the last electric tour that the band are going to play. Instead, from 2017, they are going to be concentrating more on acoustic tours and recordings.

With a set full of back-to-back hits, for me they worked best on the faster, older songs, and it was a delight to hear 'Caroline', 'Down Down' and 'Paper Plane' although the folk trappings of 'Gerdundula' were also welcome. However, the big surprise was 'In The Army Now'. I have always found the recorded version to be incredibly tedious, but in the live arena, with the lightshow depicting gunfire (ala Metallica's 'One'), the song took on a whole new poignancy and was certainly a highspot

As much as I love Status Quo, and as enjoyable as this show was, I do think it's time for them to hang up their guitars for good, but I doubt if Rossi is ready to do that yet
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Last edited by Susan Foreman; 9th December 2016 at 05:59 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!