Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1472Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2020, 08:28 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I’d go and see genesis if prices weren't so dear.
Old 27th July 2020, 10:26 AM
Cult Acolyte

Not my Genesis. This is the Genesis for the MTV chart hits.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 27th July 2020, 12:37 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Not my Genesis. This is the Genesis for the MTV chart hits.
Absolutely

Genesis are Collins, Rutherford and Banks with Steve Hackett on guitar and Peter Gabriel in face make-up, performing songs that last 20 minutes
Dave Boy likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 27th July 2020, 02:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Absolutely

Genesis are Collins, Rutherford and Banks with Steve Hackett on guitar and Peter Gabriel in face make-up, performing songs that last 20 minutes
Seems to me that bands with longevity evolve and change with the times whilst fans stay stuck in a rut and refuse to embrace change despite a 28 year recording career.

Evidence sample one - Dave and Susan (see above)

Evidence sample two - Quote from Nordicdusk regarding Metallica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I thought Metallica only had 4 albums

Old 27th July 2020, 04:05 PM
Cult Veteran

Unless the lead songwriter leaves the band I don't see the problem with the line-up evolving and changing, many great bands have changed with the times. Look at Iron Maiden and Bon Jovi as prime examples! Also Marillion... purists still only consider the Fish years but 'H' has been in the band for far longer at this point and has much more in terms of recorded albums. But, unless Steve R, Pete and Ian leave the band it's still the SAME band (only with a better singer...)

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th July 2020, 08:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Forget about the line up, the thing is with Genesis is that the music changed.
The best times for me were the Peter Gabriel years although I really like 'Trick Of The Tail' album and tracks from some of the others.
Later music in the mid 1980's on, was geared for the charts and the prog rock group was gone. I did not like that and hated the music. So it's not about being stuck in a rut but about the change in music style.
Justin101 and Susan Foreman like this.
Old 27th July 2020, 09:08 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Seems to me that bands with longevity evolve and change with the times whilst fans stay stuck in a rut and refuse to embrace change despite a 28 year recording career.

Evidence sample one - Dave and Susan (see above)

Evidence sample two - Quote from Nordicdusk regarding Metallica.
Mine was a joke on the elitist metalheads view of Metallica. My issue with Metallica is that to me watching performances over the last few year im just dont feel its coming from the heart it feels flat and that hurts me because i loved them for years. I embrace musical progression from bands as long as i feels to me that it's coming from the right place if it feels fake to me i wont get on board it's not that i'm close minded or not open to change but it has to mean something to me.

Darkthrone
Rush
Primordial
My Dying Bride
Mastodon
Neurosis
Enslaved

Just a small list of bands that change almost every album and i still love those bands because it feels real to me.
Old 27th July 2020, 09:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Forget about the line up, the thing is with Genesis is that the music changed.
The best times for me were the Peter Gabriel years although I really like 'Trick Of The Tail' album and tracks from some of the others.
Later music in the mid 1980's on, was geared for the charts and the prog rock group was gone. I did not like that and hated the music. So it's not about being stuck in a rut but about the change in music style.
I never mentioned line up changes i was saying that the fans didn't change with the bands sound over the years.

Personally i think pretty much every song i've ever heard from Genesis has been MOR shit.
Old 27th July 2020, 09:50 PM
Cult Veteran

I personally don't care for either era of Genesis so I'm here to just stir the pot

Seriously though, everyone likes different things which makes life more interesting The great thing about music is that there is so much variety that there is enough out there to find what rocks your boat and you don't have to worry about the other bits!

I have to agree about Metallica though, it's just not the same anymore.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th July 2020, 09:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Mine was a joke on the elitist metalheads view of Metallica. My issue with Metallica is that to me watching performances over the last few year im just dont feel its coming from the heart it feels flat and that hurts me because i loved them for years. I embrace musical progression from bands as long as i feels to me that it's coming from the right place if it feels fake to me i wont get on board it's not that i'm close minded or not open to change but it has to mean something to me.

Darkthrone
Rush
Primordial
My Dying Bride
Mastodon
Neurosis
Enslaved

Just a small list of bands that change almost every album and i still love those bands because it feels real to me.
My Dying Bride don't exactly change their sound every album. It's as doomy and slow as can be.

I'd hardly call something like Like Gods of the Sun to be up tempo and the one time they really changed their sound and lyrics all their core fans cried - 34.788%...Complete

Primordial are a good example though, Amorphis are another who change their music and vocals frequently.

Have Mastodon really changed their musical style that much? Certainly not sound wise but they have become poppier in their song writing.

Like this? Share it using the links below!