Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1472Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th August 2014, 10:15 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I've just got Slash in November at the new Leeds Arena, with support from Glenn Hughes and Jason Bonhams new band, California Breed (although I'm told Bonham won't be playing due to prior touring arrangements with Heart and Sammy Hagar )

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 28th August 2014, 10:20 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Understood

I think this is different, tho. The band that appeared at the O2 were not Zeppelin. They might have had Plant, Page and Jones, but without Bonzo it didn't work. Don't get me wrong - I love the band, but the bootleg recording I had of the show (a good 5 years before the 'official' "Celebration Day" was released) bored me. Yes, the classics were great, but there was something missing, and it seemed over-indulgent

At this point in time, Led Zeppelin were not an ENGLISH act - they had become worldwide

I HAVE NOT ATTENDED ANY OF KATE'S SHOWS, NOR AM I GOING TO, but I think that Kate is different. She is a true English eccentric, in the same way that Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull is an eccentric. There is an erotic sexuality to Kate which few other singers have been able to achieve. I loved her as a boy, and I love her as a girl. She is able to transcend all boundries.

I know what the full set-list for these shows is, and I am disappointed that the older material is not being represented, but I am still excited that she is performing live, and I will be the first on line to get the DVD when it is released

Also, look at her from a musicians point of view. Her songs range from the light and ethereal to the gothic to the avant-garde to the (if I'm being honest) unlistenable. But there is still something there.

Maybe i was born at the 'right time'. Maybe I am just 'in tune' with her thinking, but I think that Kate Bush is an important factor in the history of music, and the fact that she is playing live again means a lot
I was one of the lucky ones who attended the Led Zepplin show and I can tell you if was far from boring it was a brilliant show, its not like John didn't want to turn up he had a slight case of Death which prevented him from attending and the replacement was his Son Ok the show did not have the raw energy of the 70s but I don't think anybody from that era can recreate what they did back then, except Iggy Pop but that guy ain't a human being
Rik and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.
Old 28th August 2014, 10:31 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Understood

I think this is different, tho. The band that appeared at the O2 were not Zeppelin. They might have had Plant, Page and Jones, but without Bonzo it didn't work. Don't get me wrong - I love the band, but the bootleg recording I had of the show (a good 5 years before the 'official' "Celebration Day" was released) bored me. Yes, the classics were great, but there was something missing, and it seemed over-indulgent

At this point in time, Led Zeppelin were not an ENGLISH act - they had become worldwide
Quote:
Originally Posted by anythinggoes78 View Post
I was one of the lucky ones who attended the Led Zepplin show and I can tell you if was far from boring it was a brilliant show
Please do not get me wrong - I am not knocking Zeppelin, but the recording I have of the show is not something I am excited by - a single cam in the audience, uploaded to You-Tube (or Pir*te B*y) is not the best way to go, but at the time, it's all that was available

Yes, at some point in the future when I have some spare change, I will certainly get the genuine release from Amazon, but at the moment I'm not enthusiastic about it

Quote:
its not like John didn't want to turn up he had a slight case of Death which prevented him from attending
With all due respect, Mr. 78, I think this is an incredibly tasteless comment

But then again, I am drunk and struggling to stay awake!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 28th August 2014, 10:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default The Concert Thread

I saw Celebration Day at the cinema with one of my band mates, and the thing that annoyed me was the down tuning of Page and Jones' instruments to accommodate Plants ageing voice, down a full tone to D standard meaning certain songs sounded heavier than the originals. Metallica have done a similar thing too in recent years, but by a semitone instead. I understand that these guys can't sing as high as they could in their younger days, but you don't see Iron Maiden doing that, guess the old Air Raid Siren can still hack it at his age, as well running around the stage like he's in his 20's again!

As for Kate Bush, I've never got her music, but I appreciate her input in the British music scene
Susan Foreman and Dave Boy like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 29th August 2014, 08:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
whereas the fans that owned all their albums (me) and those old enough and lucky enough to catch them first time round (not me) missed out on tickets.
Yeah, I know where you are coming from Rik. I missed out on Kate Bush in 1979 but my mate went. A group of us all love Kate's music. We have all the albums and have various pieces of merchandise, videos, books etc..
We always talk about Kate and dreamed of the day that we might see her on stage. Well that day came when she announced the new tour. But our dreams turned to a nightmare when we could not get tickets. Things turned worse when tickets we could not get were turning up on ebay for stupid money. We all feel like crap. To have waited so long for this moment and then have it crash and burn. We are not people who just know Kate for a couple of chart hits, we have followed her career from the start. We all lost out and are not happy about it.
Old 29th August 2014, 08:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

That was my entire point, not to slag her music off or anything, as someone who earns a living in this industry (however small my role is), that'd be unprofessional of me. It just wound me up with all the hype over the tour, when the majority of people wouldn't know anymore than one song
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 4th October 2014, 07:09 AM
Cult Master

Default Re: Kate Bush

"AFTER The Dawn: As the curtain closes, what next for Kate Bush?

“This is the last song tonight… and for a while!” Kate Bush, 1st October 2014

Before The Dawn Blu-ray / DVD

Although no official announcement was made, many fans confirmed the presence of cameras in the Hammersmith venue around the middle of September. So it appears there is a definite intention to release Before The Dawn on DVD and blu-ray. It’s by no means guaranteed however.

Let’s not forget that Kate is a perfectionist and won’t put out anything she considers to be substandard. Before The Dawn was an exhilarating and jaw-dropping experience watching it live, but if Kate doesn’t think it ‘works’ on the small screen there is no doubt at all that it won’t happen. Her 1979 Tour Of Life has never been issued on DVD and that was filmed (it was briefly issued on a VHS/CD set in the ’90s).

Let’s be positive and work on the assumption that Kate is happy with the footage and her performance. If that is the case then surely this is most likely to be the next Kate Bush product to be released. The entire audio should – just about – fit onto two-CDs, so a dream scenario would be a two-CD+Blu-ray combo set.

It cannot be overstated how good the actual audio was. Even if you shut your eyes Before The Dawn is still massively rewarding, so we do hope CDs will be included. If she wanted to go all-out for a super deluxe edition the whole Before The Dawn concept lends itself well to ‘stuff’ to put in a box set. The Merch stands at the shows were selling lapel pins, key-rings, ‘Emergency Survival Kits’ (that contained badges, a whistle and other bits and bobs). They could well have lots of merchandise left over that could be sold as part of CD-DVD-Blu-ray ‘bundles’.

SDE Verdict: Likely to be released in Spring 2015."

AFTER The Dawn: As the curtain closes, what next for Kate Bush? | superdeluxeedition

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th October 2014, 10:53 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Whoops... must be me who is on the drugs, as it was the MEN Arena that they played at not the Apollo.
Just thought about this, surely this arena is still in Manchester yes? Proving my point haha...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th October 2014, 12:41 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Just thought about this, surely this arena is still in Manchester yes? Proving my point haha...
Unless he meant the Apollo specifically rather than Manchester.
Old 10th October 2014, 10:30 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
So off the subject of Kates Bush

My upcoming concerts (as sponsered by my daughters taste)

October Black Veil Brides Brixton with a meet and greet

November Asking Alexandria Birmingham with a meet and greet
The Defiled and Avatar Islington (this is my choice)

December Bring Me The Horizon Wembley

April Sleeping with Sirens and Peirce the Veil London Forum

June Download Festival Donington (my 10th year in a row)
I can now add Motionless In White and Lacuna Coil to my list on the 1st Nov
just a shame its not a meet and greet with Cristina Scabbia

Like this? Share it using the links below!