Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The 88 Films Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/11297-88-films-thread.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th April 2015 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 443671)
88 Films are going to release X-Ray later this year.

X-Ray was part of a Shout Factory double feature which also included... Schizoid.

Good point, and I'm glad I held off buying that release now!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th April 2015 09:57 AM

Reply from 88 Films in relation to Code Red titles:

Quote:

Not going to happen. It is impossible to do business with CR.

His brother immediately attacked our release of Spasmo too, stating their one would be superior.

We don't understand any of this. It's new ground to us.
It's very sad that cult labels have to resort to in-fighting and immediately getting on the defensive when another label looks to release a title they have distributed in another region. However, I guess with the market being so small for these titles then any competition can really hamper a release and potentially leave a distributor out of pocket.

Nordicdusk 10th April 2015 10:11 AM

Would I be right in saying all Code Red releases are limited to a number and that's it. If that's the case and they have the rights to those films do they just hold them with out any intention of making more releases of said film available again. Hope that makes sense.

Make Them Die Slowly 10th April 2015 10:17 AM

To All a Goodnight is the release.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th April 2015 10:42 AM

Yeah - glad I didn't pick up the Kino release now.

https://scontent-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...28023236_o.jpg

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th April 2015 11:04 AM

I remember there was something mentioned about David Hess on Twitter a while ago, but it was quite vague.

Anyway, that's a top title for the collection and I'm very happy.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th April 2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 443683)

It's very sad that cult labels have to resort to in-fighting and immediately getting on the defensive when another label looks to release a title they have distributed in another region. However, I guess with the market being so small for these titles then any competition can really hamper a release and potentially leave a distributor out of pocket.

How can CR complain when they won't ship out of the USA anyway?

It beggars belief at the absurdity of the things the Olsen clan say.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th April 2015 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 443701)
How can CR complain when they won't ship out of the USA anyway?

It beggars belief at the absurdity of the things the Olsen clan say.

It is a facile reason for refusing a UK company to release something in the UK if they agree to code it Region B because it won't infringe on his sales.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th April 2015 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 443707)
It is a facile reason for refusing a UK company to release something in the UK if they agree to code it Region B because it won't infringe on his sales.

The point i was making is it can't infringe on his sales because he refuses to ship to the UK.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th April 2015 11:41 AM

Bill knows that if another distributor picks up a title he owns the rights to and releases it as a comparable version then he can pretty much kiss goodbye to his sales - except from the loyal hardcore minority - as not only will it be cheaper, but it will be easier to purchase and less hassle for the consumer to do so.

That's not to say his product isn't good (because it is), but it is his business model that is the problem, which in turn he himself is to blame for to a large extent. I can't see him changing anytime soon though.