Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The 88 Films Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/11297-88-films-thread.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th September 2015 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 461681)
Yes that's the one Dagored. It's a really shoddy job. It wasn't cheap either.

No it wasn't - I think I paid about the equivalent of £15 for mine from Xploited Cinema - and that was during the good ol' days when the £ was around 1:2 on the dollar!

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2015 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 461682)
No it wasn't - I think I paid about the equivalent of £15 for mine from Xploited Cinema - and that was during the good ol' days when the £ was around 1:2 on the dollar!

Mine was similar. As you say back in those days new gialli were hitting dvd every other week. Up until 2010 i was like a pig in shit, there was so much stuff to buy from all these exciting labels.

It's available on Amazon for £13.97 if anyone want to buy it. Free postage if you have Prime as well.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th September 2015 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 461683)
Mine was similar. As you say back in those days new gialli were hitting dvd every other week. Up until 2010 i was like a pig in shit, there was so much stuff to buy from all these exciting labels.

It's available on Amazon for £13.97 if anyone want to buy it. Free postage if you have Prime as well.

Yeah, it was really great. I loved browsing sites like Xploited and Kult Video for their latest influx of weird and wonderful DVDs from all over the world. It was just amazing to be able to own some of these titles in many ways. Things such as 'price' became a secondary almost unimportant factor at times. Now with such a saturated and competitive market we're spoiled for choice and often take that for granted.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2015 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 461685)
Yeah, it was really great. I loved browsing sites like Xploited and Kult Video for their latest influx of weird and wonderful DVDs from all over the world. It was just amazing to be able to own some of these titles in many ways. Things such as 'price' became a secondary almost unimportant factor at times. Now with such a saturated and competitive market we're spoiled for choice and often take that for granted.

I saw my original order for Crimes when i checked if it was still available.

I ordered it on April 26th 2009 from a marketplace seller called Inandout Distribution. An Austrian company. It cost £5.79 plus £1.21 postage, £7 in total.

Bargain. :lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th September 2015 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 461686)
I saw my original order for Crimes when i checked if it was still available.

I ordered it on April 26th 2009 from a marketplace seller called Inandout Distribution. An Austrian company. It cost £5.79 plus £1.21 postage, £7 in total.

Bargain. :lol:

I thought you said it was expensive?! :lol:

Jammy sod! :tongue1:

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2015 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 461687)
I thought you said it was expensive?! :lol:

Jammy sod! :tongue1:

Ha,ha. I thought it was. Luckily it wasn't.

When you see the print quality it does seem expensive. :tongue1:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th September 2015 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 461688)
Ha,ha. I thought it was.

When you see the print quality it does seem expensive. :tongue1:

I guess you have a point there... still, over half the price of my copy so I still think that's cheap! ;)

EDIT: Checking my e-mails I've just discovered that I paid £16.99 for it from an eBay seller on November 1st 2008! :faint:

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2015 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 461690)
I guess you have a point there... still, over half the price of my copy so I still think that's cheap! ;)

EDIT: Checking my e-mails I've just discovered that I paid £16.99 for it from an eBay seller on November 1st 2008! :faint:

You should have waited 5 months. ;)

keirarts 10th September 2015 11:31 PM

Crimes of the black cat shows up on ebay from time to time. I won mine for about £8 inc postage.
It looks like reheated shit.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th September 2015 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 461679)
Yeah, I think we must have the same DVD... although mine is released by Dagored Films who seem to be an Italian outfit.

http://dv1.us/p1/448/062448-d0.jpg

It could certainly do with an upgrade.

That's the same as I have as well (bought for just under £7 back in 2009), and would buy a Blu-ray in a heartbeat.

PaulD 11th September 2015 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold6082 (Post 461551)
I was never a huge fan of the original creepshow except the Leslie Nielson segment "something to tide you over"

I however love the second one particularly the raft & Hitchhiker,old chief woodenhead was just "average" always have loved the film was one of my favourite VHS tapes as a kid. Pleased to hear it is hitting HD from a company who will give it the love it deserves.

not quite sure how it fits in though unless it is a standalone release it's not a slasher and it's certainly not Italian

They announce recently there's going to be a third line to run alongside Slashers and Italian. Wonder if Creepshow 2 will be part of this?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th September 2015 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 461716)
They announce recently there's going to be a third line to run alongside Slashers and Italian. Wonder if Creepshow 2 will be part of this?

I thought they already (semi) had two sidelines for the Full Moon stuff and also Troma? They're not numbered or bannered though I guess.

PaulD 11th September 2015 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 461717)
I thought they already (semi) had two sidelines for the Full Moon stuff and also Troma? They're not numbered or bannered though I guess.

About a month ago Calum posted on Twitter: "There will be a new @88_films sub label coming soon (ala slashers and Italian). Any guesses?"

Nothing announce so far as far as I'm aware.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th September 2015 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 461718)
About a month ago Calum posted on Twitter: "There will be a new @88_films sub label coming soon (ala slashers and Italian). Any guesses?"

Nothing announce so far as far as I'm aware.

I'd love for it to be a Spanish horror line.

That particular nugget has been pretty much unmined on Blu. Although, there is the problem with masters (both the expense and the quality of materials), plus the fact that they tend not to be big sellers... look what happened to BCI.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th September 2015 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 461724)
I'd love for it to be a Spanish horror line.

That particular nugget has been pretty much unmined on Blu. Although, there is the problem with masters (both the expense and the quality of materials), plus the fact that they tend not to be big sellers... look what happened to BCI.

The majority of those BCI releases looked stunning on dvd. They wouldn't need much to make the jump to blu. I'd say some if not all those dvd's would look better than some of the blu's that have been released such as Anthro.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th September 2015 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 461725)
The majority of those BCI releases looked stunning on dvd. They wouldn't need much to make the jump to blu. I'd say some if not all those dvd's would look better than some of the blu's that have been released such as Anthro.

I think it's more the cost to license them that is cost prohibitive - even though he's niche on physical media a lot of Naschy films are reportedly extortionately expensive to license. Plus, buying rights to a film doesn't necessarily guarantee you a certain master. You may get stuck with a mouldy, old degraded negative of a cut print with no sound or a digitally enhanced mess. Any additional clean-up work / searching for new or additional materials would then incur more cost.

From memory though, I think those BCI DVDs were sourced from HD masters (obviously downgraded when put on DVD). They certainly had HD masters for Night of the Werewolf and Vengeance of the Zombies as those two were actually released on Blu as a double feature. It's safe to assume that if BCI hadn't of folded then the others would have been released too.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th September 2015 04:52 PM

The Spanish Collection would look beautiful next to The Italian Collection, and there are loads of films which are well overdue top notch releases.

TJ Doc 11th September 2015 06:10 PM

We're already spoiled for choice as far as horror goes, so I'm hoping for something a little different.

Some kind of VHS-era action and thriller collection would be most welcome, for example. I had assumed the American Ninja box set was 88's method of testing the waters before committing to such a label.

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th September 2015 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ Doc (Post 461738)
We're already spoiled for choice as far as horror goes, so I'm hoping for something a little different.

Some kind of VHS-era action and thriller collection would be most welcome, for example. I had assumed the American Ninja box set was 88's method of testing the waters before committing to such a label.

I was hoping for a late night softcore thriller label lol. We could get titles like the Body Chemistry movies. In fact, a while ago I suggested these, but I was shot down straight away. [emoji23]

Vampix 11th September 2015 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 461604)
Anyway.
You can't beat a cannibalistic tarpaulin munching on teenagers.....:lol:

THE RAFT is deffo my favourite installment of the three episodes?

What about the rest of you?

The Raft,Old Chief Woodenhead or The Hitch-hiker?

I remember one film reviewer comparing the monster in The Raft to a giant black bin bag. :lol:

Crimson Blade 12th September 2015 11:26 AM

I'd love a release of The Blood Spattered Bride.
One of my all time favourite Spanish horrors.

keirarts 13th September 2015 10:02 AM

Blue undergrounds Daughters of Darkness release on blu-ray and DVD has Blood Spattered bride as an extra

Metallicbomb 14th September 2015 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 461823)
Blue undergrounds Daughters of Darkness release on blu-ray and DVD has Blood Spattered bride as an extra

And it's region free! :woot:

Mojo 14th September 2015 07:58 AM

It's a pretty poor SD print though. A remastered Blu ray would blow it out of the water.

TheProf 14th September 2015 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 461260)
Fancy starting a new label collection from the beginning so just ordered 'Graduation Day' and 'Mother's Day' direct from 88 both blind buys! Any good and are they a reliable company?

Good company, very fast service.
Both movies are fun in different ways. GD has a feature length documentary on Scream Queens, you are in for a treat.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th September 2015 04:21 PM

My copies of Blastfighter and Spasmo arrived today from HMV. :pop2:

VeZius 14th September 2015 04:36 PM

The Bloodstained Shadow BD, is it supposed to have an artcard inside? It says on the cover that it does, but mine only has a booklet.

DayzeUK 14th September 2015 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeZius (Post 461922)
The Bloodstained Shadow BD, is it supposed to have an artcard inside? It says on the cover that it does, but mine only has a booklet.

Mine has the card & booklet.

VeZius 14th September 2015 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DayzeUK (Post 461925)
Mine has the card & booklet.

Thanks, looks like I'm missing out then! Unless it's one of those papery ones. ;)

DayzeUK 14th September 2015 05:22 PM

Mine is quite a thick one and came inside the Blu-ray case, from what i can tell the papery ones are being given out with direct orders from 88 and just come loose inside the parcel.

For the record, every Blu in The Italian Collection so far has had a numbered (matching the Blu-ray collection number) postcard.

88 have also just announced the rewards scheme on Twitter and Facebook.

JAMIOUSE 14th September 2015 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeZius (Post 461922)

I think it was just the first pressing that came with a booklet, the artcard should be in there though.

TheProf 15th September 2015 01:58 PM

Any news on if Children of the Corn films will be uncut or at least have deleted scenes?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th September 2015 02:31 PM

I'm sure someone's mentioned the 'Skull Points' somewhere. In order to redeem them on pre-orders, all I have done is replied to the order confirmation e-mail, basically saying 'From this you can see the order details and my details', and they've replied to each one saying how many points they have added to my account. All e-mails go to – and come from – the same address anyway.

DayzeUK 15th September 2015 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DayzeUK (Post 461927)
Mine is quite a thick one and came inside the Blu-ray case, from what i can tell the papery ones are being given out with direct orders from 88 and just come loose inside the parcel.

For the record, every Blu in The Italian Collection so far has had a numbered (matching the Blu-ray collection number) postcard.

88 have also just announced the rewards scheme on Twitter and Facebook.

Just received Blastfighter & Spasmo and im sorry to say both have "Collectable Poster Artcard" on the back cover but both have the papery thin flyers in them, looks like its safe to say all the so called poster/art cards from now on no matter how you get them will be the papery thin ones.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th September 2015 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 461650)
Apparently this is the final cover for the 'Children Of The Corn' trilogy

I hope to God this has the iconic artwork on the reverse.
I'll be doing without if it hasn't.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th September 2015 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 461981)
I hope to God this has the iconic artwork on the reverse.
I'll be doing without if it hasn't.

I'm 99% sure that 88 mentioned it would have a reversible cover.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th September 2015 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank God for that!

Awful......:crying:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th September 2015 09:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Iconic.........:woot:

Sobral 17th September 2015 04:56 AM

Blade In The Dark, for example, has the very same art on the reverse and an alternative one on the flyer/postcard, wasted oportunity, I think....

Susan Foreman 17th September 2015 11:36 AM

From FaceBook:

"Pre-order our upcoming release of Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death Blu-ray for the special pre-order price of £8.99 (goes up to £12.99 on release date).

Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (Blu-ray) 88 Films "