Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree16586Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2020, 05:57 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I prefer the second film to the first. There's one terrific gory murder in it.

The first Urban Legend is okay for an Emo horror. Even though i own Bloody Mary i can't remember a thing about it.
Old 11th November 2020, 07:04 PM
Active Cultist

Oh wow I thought I was the only one here who grew up during the 90's.
Yeah I think some people forget just how quiet the horror genre was during the first half of that decade, especially slashers (only one I can think that was both successful and well liked was candyman) if it wasnt a serial killer thriller, had a cast of a list stars or (dear ****ing god) erotic thrillers then the general public weren't interested.

I enjoyed urban legend over I know, it was more fun plus alicia Witt and less predictable as to who was behind it all.
Old 11th November 2020, 07:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by will graham View Post
Oh wow I thought I was the only one here who grew up during the 90's.
Yeah I think some people forget just how quiet the horror genre was during the first half of that decade, especially slashers (only one I can think that was both successful and well liked was candyman) if it wasnt a serial killer thriller, had a cast of a list stars or (dear ****ing god) erotic thrillers then the general public weren't interested.

I enjoyed urban legend over I know, it was more fun plus alicia Witt and less predictable as to who was behind it all.
I never saw Candyman at the cinema but i did see Candyman II.

I know exactly what you mean. There wasn't a slasher genre at all until Scream arrived. (That Drew Barrymore opening was out of this world gripping to me) so to see that plus Summer, Urban Legend and Halloween H20 was a bit of a treat.

Then there was the Dark Castle stuff which i also really enjoyed seeing on the big screen - House on Haunted Hill etc.

But for me the best horrors were the classic monster ones earlier in the decade - Bram Stoker's Dracula, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Wolf, Interview with the Vampire, Mary Reilly.

The nineties were far better than the 2010's for horror in my opinion.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 11th November 2020, 08:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashforcash View Post
I think I saw them in the cinema at a formative age. The 90s were a wasteland for slashers and horror in general. I remember sitting in the cinema watching The Relic and thought "is this really it for horror?". Then Scream and I Know came along and recaptured the 80s slasher spirit.

Besides I think I Know works really well. The police car escape leading to the death of Pete Sampras' wife in the department store is still in my top 5 slasher chase sequences.

I remember dragging a mate to the cinema to see I Still Know and almost dying of embarrassment... "Will Benson"? "Brazillia" Jesus it was lame. But I love it now as a loveable disaster. Why did Freddie Prinze Jr drive 500 miles to have one conversation with Julie before going home? It's hilarious.

As for I'll Always know... it's just irredemably appalling. Although the Zombie fisherman has a nice touch of Friday 13th Pt 6 about it. But its a straight to dvd crapfest that will disappoint/ enrage any fan of the original.

I'd love 88 to get hold of The Faculty.
TBH, I rather liked The Relic
Nostalgic likes this.
Old 11th November 2020, 08:56 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
It's the Kirstie Alley one....

It's a good wee thriller.I have it on R1 which is offski as soon as this appears.....
I know that this sounds strange but paying full price for a film that was released on a budget DVD label seems weird.

Hollywood DVD did put out some decent efforts though.
Old 11th November 2020, 09:50 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Nah, unfortunately it's not the Bruce Willis/Kim Basinger BLIND DATE
Old 12th November 2020, 10:35 AM
Cultist

I think I'll pass on the Urban Legend set. I saw that in an empty cinema in Swansea on a grim rainy afternoon and I remember it being awful. Maybe I was prejudiced by a one star Empire review at the time, but its beyond daft. The killer sets up a PowerPoint presentation to explain their motive!

It just has a "yeah, that'll do" feel about it... and dare I say contempt for the audience?
Old 12th November 2020, 10:48 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashforcash View Post
I think I'll pass on the Urban Legend set. I saw that in an empty cinema in Swansea on a grim rainy afternoon and I remember it being awful. Maybe I was prejudiced by a one star Empire review at the time, but its beyond daft. The killer sets up a PowerPoint presentation to explain their motive!

It just has a "yeah, that'll do" feel about it... and dare I say contempt for the audience?

In fairness, Manhunter does the same. And now I feel dirty for putting Manhunter alongside Urban Legend.
Old 12th November 2020, 02:11 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
I know that this sounds strange but paying full price for a film that was released on a budget DVD label seems weird.

Hollywood DVD did put out some decent efforts though.
13 or 14 quid?

The pic quality difference is worth the price alone.

Eight quid of a difference.....wouldn’t get you a packet of deathsticks!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 12th November 2020, 04:36 PM
Active Cultist

Oh my! You better feel dirty for putting manhunter in with urban legend

Like this? Share it using the links below!