Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree647Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2023, 12:52 PM
Cult Addict

Boys and girls. Am I imagining it or did StudioCanal not release a collectors edition of The Howling on standard blu-ray when the new 4K release came out?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 22nd June 2023, 01:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Boys and girls. Am I imagining it or did StudioCanal not release a collectors edition of The Howling on standard blu-ray when the new 4K release came out?

Yes they did. I remember not being interested as the artwork was dreadful especially when compared to the awesome original movie poster.

edit- Sorry just reread what you asked.

No it was the 4K collectors edition which included the Blu-ray. The actual Blu-ray was just the standard slip cased edition.
Old 22nd June 2023, 01:24 PM
Cult Veteran

The collectors edition includes a bluray of the film but there wasn't a separate release of it. I picked up a copy in CEX for £20 after it had been out for a few months. I don't think it was worth the £40 asking price.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 22nd June 2023, 01:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
The collectors edition includes a bluray of the film but there wasn't a separate release of it. I picked up a copy in CEX for £20 after it had been out for a few months. I don't think it was worth the £40 asking price.
I think i'll watch it tonight. It's a summer type film. I usually watch it once a year so may as well be tonight.

To say i never really liked it to begin with it's now become a firm favourite.
Old 22nd June 2023, 01:37 PM
Cult Addict

I had an idea there was a version with the physical extras and whatnot but just blu without the 4K. Guess not. Seems to be the new thing now, companies making it that the only way to get the full bells & whistles edition is to buy a 4K release. I'm looking at you too second sight....

Old 22nd June 2023, 01:50 PM
Cult Veteran

It's not a new thing though, they all did it when DVD was replaced by Bluray. People used to complain so hard about dual format releases being the only way to get the DVD edition. At the end of the day it's a business reason, it's going to cheaper to have one package with 2 types of discs in rather than have 2 slightly different packages

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 22nd June 2023, 03:23 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It's not a new thing though, they all did it when DVD was replaced by Bluray. People used to complain so hard about dual format releases being the only way to get the DVD edition. At the end of the day it's a business reason, it's going to cheaper to have one package with 2 types of discs in rather than have 2 slightly different packages
I didn't mind so much then. Blu ray seemed an obvious upgrade at some point. In fact I was more irritated that I couldn't blu rays without a dvd in many cases. Meant often the artwork of a dvd was obscured or had a stupid banner reminding me it still had the older format included should I fancy watching in a lower definition.
Old 27th July 2023, 03:05 PM
Cult Addict

Seems StudioCanal UK is putting out The Others. A Criterion release has been announced but I'm guessing that's for the US. I'd like to upgrade to blu ray but this artwork is terrible. Screenshot_20230727_160154_Instagram.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 27th July 2023, 03:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Haha! I thought it looked alright until i looked up close.

StudioCanal are an odd one. Many of their new artworks are excellent - The Fog, Prince of Darkness, Red Sonja, The Servant, Flash Gordon, Cat's Eyes, The Driver, Le Mepris as examples of ones i really like whilst others such as The Wicker Man (upcoming), the Dr. Who films, Masque of the Red Death, The Howling and most of their Hammer cut and paste jobs are average at the very best.

It's just as well that their restorations, at least to me, mainly look superb.
Old 27th July 2023, 03:51 PM
Cult Addict

It's not bad artwork in itself I suppose but it's not a good representation of the film. The Others is a subtle elegant ghost story. That artwork looks like something from EC horror comics.

Like this? Share it using the links below!