All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1457Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd August 2010, 07:21 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
Surely Warner, or whoever, have got to give Satanic Rites a DVD release at some point, Hammer fans must be clamoring for it.I know I am, it's one of my favourites amongst Hammer's Dracula series.
North American rights reverted back to Bill Lustig (Blue Underground) who has no intention of revisiting the Hammer titles.

In the UK I think it's one of the few where the rights are still held by Hammer themselves.
Old 23rd August 2010, 07:30 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
North American rights reverted back to Bill Lustig (Blue Underground) who has no intention of revisiting the Hammer titles.

In the UK I think it's one of the few where the rights are still held by Hammer themselves.
I wonder if he'll have a change of heart sometime, especially as their BD schedule seems to be ramping it up. He must have extended the rights to Anchor Bay when he decided not to revisit as the DVD-R's from Amazon are still from Starz/AB. I'm hoping he has a change of heart whenever that period ends.

I'd really like Anolis to have a go at some Blu's too. They're planning on a new SE of Dracula POD but I've read they don't have much confidence in Blu-Ray at the moment.
Old 23rd August 2010, 07:39 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Hammer should get with the BD programme.They'd look absolutely frigging stunning.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 23rd August 2010, 08:55 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man View Post
Hammer should get with the BD programme.They'd look absolutely frigging stunning.
Synapse and Eureka seem to be leading the Hammer charge in regards to BD.

I'm hoping other companies take note and do the same. My only (mild) grumble is that Optimum will no doubt be the UK's forefront for Hammer on Blu, and while their transfers are good, the bare-bones bullshit in which they release their titles annoys me; no love or thought goes into the package as a whole.
Old 23rd August 2010, 09:04 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
Synapse and Eureka seem to be leading the Hammer charge in regards to BD.

I'm hoping other companies take note and do the same. My only (mild) grumble is that Optimum will no doubt be the UK's forefront for Hammer on Blu, and while their transfers are good, the bare-bones bullshit in which they release their titles annoys me; no love or thought goes into the package as a whole.
I wouldn't actually care for some being bare-bones although the trailers are great fun. Maybe some commentaries here and there on the better movies but so many of the same actors and crew are involved it could get a bit boring for much else on indvidual discs. I don't think I ever need to see another World of Hammer episode ever again. Something like Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires could do with a piece on how the Shaw co-production came to be maybe but that's Warner and they've done even less than Optimum for the Hammers.

Oh, please no stupidly price boxset either please, Optimum. If you're going to do one, just pick 5 of the best or something.

Original poster art too!
Old 23rd August 2010, 09:14 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
I wouldn't actually care for some being bare-bones although the trailers are great fun. Maybe some commentaries here and there on the better movies but so many of the same actors and crew are involved it could get a bit boring for much else on indvidual discs. I don't think I ever need to see another World of Hammer episode ever again. Something like Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires could do with a piece on how the Shaw co-production came to be maybe but that's Warner and they've done even less than Optimum for the Hammers.
The trailers are great!

Commentaries would be great, or even some bios, galleries, or production notes would be good. Agree on a doc for 7 Golden Vampires too, that'd be very interesting.

The main point for me is that I love Hammer, and they have been an integral part of our horror heritage, yet their DVD releases are almost treated like bargain bin sell-throughs, and not given the 'Special Edition' treatment that they so deserve. The saddest thing is, that there probably wouldn't be enough of a market for this lavish treatment of their titles here, to warrant doing it...
Old 23rd August 2010, 09:19 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It may take time buddy,but I reckon we'll see the majority of Hammer classics on BD.
Look at the length of time it's taken on DVD,and still there are quite a few missing....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 23rd August 2010, 09:37 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man View Post
It may take time buddy,but I reckon we'll see the majority of Hammer classics on BD.
Look at the length of time it's taken on DVD,and still there are quite a few missing....
I hope so. I'm surprised at some of the titles that have already been released on Blu-Ray, lots of indy or obscure niche films getting an HD upgrade before many of the Hollywood Blockbuster$.

I suppose it might be something to do with BD still being more of an aficionado format (although it is rapidly becoming more mainstream), who knows.

I'll certainly be waiting in anticipation for Hammer on HD, though.
Old 24th August 2010, 12:28 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
The saddest thing is, that there probably wouldn't be enough of a market for this lavish treatment of their titles here, to warrant doing it...
Hmmm...you know, not so long ago I'd have said the same of the likes of City of the Living Dead and Inferno - and look where we are! Don't underestimate the British public, I think there's probably more Hammer fans out there than we realise! Certainly enough of a fanbase for Optimum to release a massive boxset.
Old 24th August 2010, 04:25 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Wow... was just on Itunes and thought I'd see if Satanic Rites was on there. Licensed from WB no less in the US. Even better was that, instead of the trailer, you get the first few minutes and the print looks lovely. Better than the ABUS one with less damage, brighter and more natural colours. No nudity in the opening though so it could be cut and it's listed as R-rated but maybe they just cut it from the free view..

Wish they'd release that print on dvd!

Like this? Share it using the links below!