Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th October 2012, 05:50 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'm really looking forward to those releases too

I can't imagine SNDN2 will be in the next batch of announcements since they're for next year. Would have been released with Christmas Evil if they were going to do it I suspect.
Old 18th October 2012, 07:19 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by prawnee View Post
Read this interview with the Dude Designs today

The Dude Designs Halloween Concept Poster - Poster Collective

At the bottom of the interview it says he's working on the European DVD artworks for two Tromeo and Juliet and Toxic Avenger. Over to you Arrow!
Nice spot, I actually saw that yesterday, but didn't scroll down and realise there was even an interview there! Although they're not titles I'm interested in. Well I wouldn't mind Toxic Avenger on blu-ray, but had heard Troma had made it clear they couldn't afford it. That wasn't first hand, so it could well not be true though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Also can people try to remember NOT EVERYONE IMPORTS.

Just because we do doesn't mean everyone does and since a significant amount of sales come from the high street why shouldn't they strive to put out the best uk release of a film? I think I'm going to have "Don't like it? Don't buy it. And you are owed nothing" as my new signature in an attempt to discourage the same sort of tedious comments that accompany each release. There's no reason why people can't be disappointed with announcements (as I was for Wild Geese and Who Dares Wins, caring nothing for those films) but people's reactions and the whole "I already have that on region 1" comments miss the point in my opinion.
Here, here! Well said indeed. Arrow has a primary market, and that should be their priority in my opinion. I don't doubt for a second Arrow take into consideration importing markets when acquiring licenses, but highly doubt it was at the forefront of their thoughts when considering Troma properties.

Troma titles have never had any kind of noticeable presence here in the UK, and while the vast majority of their output isn't to my interests (The very few Troma titles, or titles Troma distribute I'd like to see) it's completely understandable why they're mining from Troma's catalogue. Anyone from markets where Troma films are readily available moaning about it is completely missing the point.
Old 18th October 2012, 07:37 AM
Cult Acolyte

I guess Arrow's mixture of titles aren't going to please everybody, but I don't have a problem with this, as long as it continues to finance the company for future releases.

Arrow's titles this year have been quite varied, but all stay within the 'cult' range ( and after all, that's why we're all on here, right? ). Personally, I have no interest whatsoever in a possible release of The Toxic Avenger or any other Troma titles, but if they prove to be big sellers and help to finance the release of more Eurohorror ( particularly previously unreleased and / or on Blu-ray ) then that's fine by me.

The Wild Geese? Combat Shock? No thanks. Zombie Flesh Eaters, The House By The Cemetery, Night Child / The Cursed Medallion? Yes please.

Something for everybody I guess
Criterion7 likes this.
Old 18th October 2012, 07:53 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

That's exactly how I see it, of course it's on speculation Arrow are working on Troma titles. I think they're working on Halloween 2 & 3, nobody has released a decent version of these 2 yet....

MISSING: One wooden spoon, has Rik engraved on it
fuzzymctiger likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 18th October 2012, 08:16 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

There's also the fact that even if you like and already own the films from another release its's still good that they are getting widespread uk releases and are available on the high street. I already own Tromeo and Juliet on bluray and Toxic Avenger on DVD and would be extremely unlikely to buy them again unless the extras were extremely special but as a fan of both films I'd welcome the releases for their potential to bring the films to a wider audience.
Old 18th October 2012, 08:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
That's exactly how I see it, of course it's on speculation Arrow are working on Troma titles. I think they're working on Halloween 2 & 3, nobody has released a decent version of these 2 yet....

MISSING: One wooden spoon, has Rik engraved on it
Tsk tsk..shameless baiting post..you should know better

Hmm..Amazon is listing a AB double feature of SNDN 1 and 2...re-release??
Rik likes this.
Old 18th October 2012, 08:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sorry, couldn't resist it

In other news, I've just Tweeted Alan Jones and asked him if he's working on any Arrow titles at the minute because there's an announcement due, I hope he sees the funny side
mr 420 and Criterion7 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 18th October 2012, 09:21 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ok, so I've had a reply from Alan Jones, I guess he didn't get my sarcasm ha ha

@rikstewart I'm afraid I cannot confirm or deny that at the moment, but watch this space!
Daemonia and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 18th October 2012, 11:39 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowFan View Post
You really take my comments personally. Its my opinion.

look you said they deal a lot with European licensing and trust me I feel there pain but when they put out things that belong more in the Shameless category and then put out products that are readily available..and yes you can easily get Troma over there as well, then yes I will stand up with the megaphone and say Bull. Not to you..but to them.
I don't doubt the work that Arrow puts into there releases but don't be as presumptious as to assume that Scream Factory just haphazardly slaps out there stuff either cause thats BS. I am sure nothing is handed to either company.

As for Arrows so-called focus on Euro-horror, I wish they did that but last time I checked Troma and Christmas Evil are not Euro-Horror.

Everything you say is true about the earlier Arrow releases but not now. I am a big fan of the earlier Arrow releases.

Its all about opinion and perspective. If Toxic Avenger and Tromeo and Juilette are two of there next big releases than both you and I should have a problem because neither is the focus on Euro-horror or hard to get films that you just became so excited about.

Right now Scream Factory has been putting out suff thats been on my wish list for years, and before that Shout did the same, and so did Arrow. I'm not a blind follower though if something seems bad I'm gonna say it.

Don't doubt my validity on the site because I'm not in love with the product at the moment. The right release could have me touting Arrow again, which is what I wish I could do. the more companies putting out superior product the more choices I have and the more my collection of dvds grow.

Try not to take it so personally. Chill out, I have nothing against you but I kinda think I'm rubbing you the wrong way and its not intended. I'm always going to give my honest opinion.
Hey, I'm not taking it personally, I actually really enjoy your input to the site. I'm also aware that my writing can be confrontational when I feel strongly about something, but it's not personal either - just a strong opinion, same as you.

Look, having talked to numerous people and researching over time I understand how it works with companies like Scream! Factory. Basically, they approach, say, Universal with a view to licensing titles. Universal will then respond with a list of suggested titles that have HD masters ready but they aren't intending releasing in the near future. Scream! Factory will look over the list, do research, and then respond saying what titles they're interested in. Twilight Time have the same set up with Sony and Fox - they don't dictate what they want, they simply choose from what they're offered.

Now, with all that in mind, it's good that Scream! Factory are releasing these titles, because otherwise they'd probably remain unreleased in HD. So that's a plus in my book. And they don't produce limited runs like TT either. Another plus.

Look, I'm not knocking Scream! Factory, just stating that their business model is far less complex than Arrow's. Do you really think that if Scream! Factory had to prepare their own HD masters they could afford to do that with every title, being a niche label? I think not.

Last edited by Daemonia; 18th October 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

NEWSFLASH!!!

Arrow FB/Twitter posts:

‎6 Dual Format, 3 DVDs. A slew of genres, extras, filmmakers new and old, artwork by 2 new artists and booklets for each!

Over 9 Dual Format/DVDs we will release 12 films!

One film of which we believe will be a version of a film seeing it's world premiere on home video

Like this? Share it using the links below!