Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th May 2016, 02:56 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I think you must mean City of the Living Dead Michal that one looks horrible.
both needs 2k transfer but blu underground transfers are decent but 2k is needed
Old 9th May 2016, 03:22 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

More Noir!

Quote:
Synopsis:

At the height of the Nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia, four German exiles in Hollywood – director Fritz Lang, playwright Bertolt Brecht (earning his only US credit), composer Hanns Eisler and actor Hans Heinrich von Twardowski – pooled their talents to create Hangmen Also Die!, a remarkable film about the Czech resistance.

Twardowski plays Reinhard Heydrich, an SS Obergruppenführer and the ‘Reich-Protector’ of Czechoslovakia, known alternately as ‘The Hangman’ and ‘The Butcher of Prague’. When he is assassinated by a surgeon (played by Brian Donlevy), the city is locked down and the doctor must rely on the help of the resistance to evade capture.

Shot by the great James Wong Howe (Sweet Smell of Success, Seconds), Hangmen Also Die! Is a gripping blend of war picture, film noir and political thriller.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

2K restoration from original film materials of the full-length uncensored version

High Definition (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations

Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing

Audio commentary by film historian Richard Peña

Story of a Hangman: Robert Gerwarth on Reinhard Heydrich, an interview with the author of Hitler's Hangman: The Life of Heydrich

Newsreel footage

Restoration comparison

Trailer

Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Vladimir Zimakov

First pressing only: Fully illustrated collector’s booklet containing new writing by Gerd Gemunden, author of Continental Strangers: German Exile Cinema, 1933-1951

DETAILS:

RRP: £19.99 £15.99

Region: B / 2

Duration: 134 mins

Language: English

Subtitles: English SDH

Aspect Ratio: 1.37:1

Audio: Mono 1.0

Discs: 2

B&W

Cat No: FCD1352
Old 9th May 2016, 03:38 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal View Post
both needs 2k transfer but blu underground transfers are decent but 2k is needed
Surely 2k is the minimum for a bluray anyway, only DVD up-scales would be transferred below a 2k resolution, I'm sure both films as released by Arrow are 2k they're just not very good scans (which has to be said about almost all of Arrow's early Italian releases)
Steel76, keirarts and J Harker like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 9th May 2016, 03:42 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Surely 2k is the minimum for a bluray anyway, only DVD up-scales would be transferred below a 2k resolution, I'm sure both films as released by Arrow are 2k they're just not very good scans (which has to be said about almost all of Arrow's early Italian releases)
I think House By The Cemetery looks fine. City looks awful in my opinion though.
Old 9th May 2016, 03:49 PM
Cult Master

ARROW ACADEMY - NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT: Rainer Werner Fassbinder – The Early Works (Blu-ray)

Fassbinder’s two surviving early short films and his first two features plus extras!

Synopsis:

The Early Works of Rainer Werner Fassbinder brings together all of the German director’s surviving works from the 1960s plus a documentary portrait examining his earliest days as a filmmaker.

In the two short films, The City Tramp and The Little Chaos (heavily influenced by Jean-Luc Godard’s Bande Ã* part), we find Fassbinder in search of an identity. In the two features, Love is Colder Than Death and Katzelmacher, he begins to discover it.

Dedicated to Claude Chabrol, Éric Rohmer, Jean-Marie Straub and the main characters from Spaghetti Western A Bullet for the General, Love is Colder Than Death is a playful crime picture, heavily indebted to the nouvelle vague. Katzelmacher is more in line with Fassbinder’s stage efforts, a character study and mini-melodrama in which the dynamic between a group of friends is radically altered by the arrival of an immigrant worker.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • Brand new 4K restoration of the films from original camera negatives
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations
  • Original uncompressed PCM mono audio
  • Optional English subtitles
  • Two early short films by Rainer Werner Fassbinder from 1966, The Little Chaos and The City Tramp
  • Newly-filmed interview with actor Ulli Lommel on Love is Colder Than Death
  • End of the Commune?, Joachim von Mengershausen’s 1970 documentary portrait of Fassbinder and his troupe including rare footage of his actors rehearsing and Love is Colder Than Death’s premiere at the 1969 Berlin Film Festival
  • Original theatrical trailer for Katzelmacher

DETAILS:

RRP: £13.99
Region: B
Duration: 176 mins
Language: German
Subtitles: English
Aspect Ratio: 1.37:1 & 1.66:1
Audio: Mono 1.0
Discs: 1
B&W
Cat No: FCD1220

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 9th May 2016, 03:50 PM
Cult Addict

Arrows early output is a clear example of why there current approach to Italian material works... It seems to be loads of hassle to actually get a decent issue-free transfer from Italy and the expense of getting a scan done elsewhere is high. I would much rather all boutique labels pick and choose with Italian material.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 9th May 2016, 03:51 PM
Cult Master

"THE HUMAN CONDITION UPDATE!

Unfortunately, owing to hold-ups with regards to clearances, The Human Condition will now be joining our August Academy line-up and be released on August 1st."
keirarts likes this.

Old 10th May 2016, 01:03 PM
Cult Veteran

I'm reading a book about how to code HTML and CSS for uni and came across this in the examples Not what I'd expect to see in such a scholarly book!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th May 2016, 06:51 PM
Cult Master

Watch this exclusive clip from Arrow Videos 4-version release of BLOOD BATH | Rue Morgue
keirarts and tele1962 like this.

Old 10th May 2016, 08:26 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I see Hired To Kill now says it's in stock on the Arrow site, so I had to order it. Wonder If we'll see it this side of next week.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!