Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26055Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2016, 05:21 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
It may turn people off paying for limited editions if further down the road they are going to sell the features that made them limited in the first place separate. But saying that like you i still would of bought the Videodrome set as its one of my favourite films.
Yeah, its a question of did the information inform someone's decision to purchase? If so then I can empathise. However I can say categorically it hadn't even crossed my mind until now. You could re-title Hellgate to videodrome and I might even buy it!
Old 6th May 2016, 06:57 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

A great slew of announcements - I'm definitely in for The Bloodstained Butterfly, The Count Yorga films Microwave Massacre.

I couldn't give a rat's testicle whether Arrow are re-releasing the Cronenberg short films. If it makes them more money to pump into other releases then bully for them.

It'll be interesting to see what the Academy announcements yield on Monday (well, I'm interested anyway! ), especially as Arrow recently posted a Fritz Lang photo on FB. Hoping for The Woman in the Window!
plasterface and keirarts like this.
Old 6th May 2016, 06:57 PM
Active Cultist

I've stopped buying limited editions, just can't afford it unless I'm planning on selling them down the line.

To be honest not really impressed with their lineup between now and the future.
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th May 2016, 07:01 PM
Active Cultist

whould be fun if blood feast was part of arrow Academy
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th May 2016, 07:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

This is more like it. EARLY CRONENBERG, COUNT YORGA and BLOODSTAINED BUTTERFLY for me
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th May 2016, 07:09 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
This is more like it. EARLY CRONENBERG, COUNT YORGA and BLOODSTAINED BUTTERFLY for me
not fan of microwave massacre?
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th May 2016, 07:30 PM
Cult Master

The specs:

NEW UK TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT: David Cronenberg’s Early Works
From one of the greatest masters of the genre come these early works which eagerly anticipate his later masterworks. These stunning new restorations premiered in our sell out Videodrome Limited Edition but are now available to pre-order separately:

Synopsis:

One of the most singular auteurs of the horror and science fiction genres, David Cronenberg has wowed audiences with his depictions of body transformations and explorations of society, this collection of his early short and feature films shows a master learning his craft and exploring many of the themes that would dominate his most celebrated work.

Transfer (1966), Cronenberg’s first short film, is a surreal sketch of a doctor and his patient. From the Drain (1967) finds two men in a bathtub, which may be part of a centre for veterans of a future war. Stereo (1969), Cronenberg’s first official feature film, stunningly shot in monochrome, concerns telepaths at the Institute for Erotic Enquiry where patients undergo tests by Dr. Luther Stringfellow. In Crimes of theFuture (1970) Cronenberg worked in colour and with a larger budget, where we find the House of Skin clinic director (Ronald Mlodzik, returning from Stereo) searching for his mentor, Antoine Rouge, who has disappeared following a catastrophic plague.

Cronenberg’s early amateur feature films, shot in and around his university campus, prefigure his later films’ concerns with strange institutions, male/female separation and ESP, echoing the likes ofVideodrome, Dead Ringers and Scanners.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
  • Brand new restorations of four Cronenberg films
  • Original mono audio for all films
  • Optional english subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Transfer the Future – Author and critic Kim Newman discusses Cronenberg’s early works
  • Sleeve featuring newly illustrated artwork by Gilles Vranckx
Mojo, keirarts and DayzeUK like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 6th May 2016, 07:32 PM
Cult Master

NEW UK TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT: The Count Yorga Collection
These much loved cult classics starring Robert Quarry (Dr Phibes Rises Again) make their DVD and Blu-ray UK premieres in this collection featuring commentaries for both films!

Synopsis:

TALL, DARK AND DEADLY!

Updating the vampire mythos to early 1970s Los Angeles, these much-loved cult classics star Robert Quarry (Dr Phibes Rises Again) as the svelte Count Yorga, living in a mansion in the southern California hills with his equally mysterious “brides”. Introducing himself as a mystic from Bulgaria who’s an expert on séances, his true nature is given away by the title of his first film, Count Yorga, Vampire, long before the hapless Donna (Donna Anders, Werewolves on Wheels) and her friends discover the truth.

The sequel, The Return of Count Yorga, sees him relocate to San Francisco, where he has designs on an orphanage as a source of potential victims, but gets distracted by the prospect of the beautiful but innocent Cynthia (Mariette Hartley, Marooned) becoming the latest addition to his harem.

Firm drive-in favourites from the moment they were first unleashed, the Count Yorga films were directed by Bob Kelljan (Scream Blacula Scream) with just the right mix of atmosphere, suspense and tongue-in-cheek humour, with Quarry’s delivery of the Count’s witty one-liners being a particular joy.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
  • High Definition digital transfers of both Yorga films, from original film elements by MGM
  • Original mono audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary on Count Yorga, Vampire by David Del Valle
  • Audio commentary on The Return of Count Yorga by David Del Valle
  • Interview with critic and author Kim Newman
  • Theatrical trailers
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
  • First pressing only: Booklet featuring new writing on the films by Frank Collins
Mojo, keirarts and DayzeUK like this.

Old 6th May 2016, 07:33 PM
Cult Master

NEW UK/US TITLE ANNOUNCEMENTS: Battles Without Honor and Humanity Volumes 1-5 released individually!
Thought of as Japan’s equivalent to The Godfather, this seminal crime saga from the director of Battle Royale is now available to pre-order in five handy instalments.
UK PRE-ORDERS:
Battles Without Honor & Humanity The Yakuza Papers: Battles Without Honour And Humanity
Hiroshima Death Match The Yakuza Papers: Hiroshima Death Match
Proxy War The Yakuza Papers: Proxy War
Police Tactics The Yakuza Papers: Police Tactics
Final Episode The Yakuza Papers: Final Episode
keirarts and DayzeUK like this.

Old 6th May 2016, 07:35 PM
Cult Master

NEW UK/US TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT: Microwave Massacre
This deliciously depraved exercise in political incorrectness stars legendary stand-up comedian Jackie Vernon and is released on Blu-ray for the first time ever, newly restored from the original negative

Synopsis:

THEY CAME FOR DINNER…TO FIND THEY WERE IT!!

Microwave Massacre stars legendary stand-up comedian and actor Jackie Vernon as Donald, a disgruntled construction worker whose wife’s predilection for haute cuisine drives him to cannibalism.

Donald unwittingly stumbles upon a solution to his two major problems in his life – his nagging wife and his lack of tasty meals – when, one night, he bludgeons his better half to death with a pepper grinder in a drunken rage. Thinking on his feet, Donald dismembers the body and sets about microwaving the remains, which turn out to be rather delicious. Trouble is, now he’s got a taste for human flesh that needs satisfying…

Eschewing all notions of good taste, Wayne Berwick’s Microwave Massacre is a deliciously depraved exercise in political incorrectness that has gone on to gain a cult following thanks to a characteristically deadpan performance from lead Vernon, who delivers such choice lines as “I’m so hungry I could eat a whore”. Vegetarians need not apply!

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • Brand new 2K restoration of the original camera negative
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
  • Original Mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Brand new audio commentary with writer-producer Craig Muckler moderated by Mike Tristano
  • Brand new making-of featurette including interviews with Muckler, director Wayne Berwick and actor Loren Schein
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork to be revealed
  • First pressing only: fully-illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Nightmare USA author Stephen Thrower
keirarts and DayzeUK like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!