Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th June 2013, 04:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I held off buying the blu ray of THE BLOOD BEAST TERROR but the Odeon dvd version arrived today.Looks terrific,far better than the old Image & DD Video releases.It's the extended version (For better or worse !) running 83:59 PAL & comes with an audio commentary from Jonathan Rigby,a 25 minute interview with Wanda Ventham (Ported I think from the DD version),theatrical trailer & further release trailers.Worth the upgrade if you only have the older shorter version.
bdc likes this.
Old 26th June 2013, 04:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
I held off buying the blu ray of THE BLOOD BEAST TERROR but the Odeon dvd version arrived today.Looks terrific,far better than the old Image & DD Video releases.It's the extended version (For better or worse !) running 83:59 PAL & comes with an audio commentary from Jonathan Rigby,a 25 minute interview with Wanda Ventham (Ported I think from the DD version),theatrical trailer & further release trailers.Worth the upgrade if you only have the older shorter version.
Any idea whats in the added 3 + minutes Mark?

I have the old Image release which as you say doesn't look that amazing.
Old 26th June 2013, 08:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Any idea whats in the added 3 + minutes Mark?

I have the old Image release which as you say doesn't look that amazing.
A fellow member on Worldwidedvdforums Tim Rogerson posted this info below regarding the differences (From the US Redemption version of the extended cut) .It's a daft but enjoyable film with a ridiculous premise helped by the presence of Peter Cushing.Even the worse of the 60s British horror movies including the appalling DEADLY BEES have a charm about them.

"Finally got a chance to compare these.

Redemption (US) DVD runs 87m 28s (ignoring Redemption ident and a DVD credit after the credits)

DD Video UK DVD runs 77m 11s (ignoring Peacemaker Films ident). NTSC adjusted that is 80m 23s.

Therefore, total difference of 7m 5s approx consisting of:

DD Video is missing (DD Video times):

At 15m 15s - 29s of the morgue attendant walking back after closing the door, asking a corpse if he is nice and cosy and then settling down to finish his lunch.

At 28m 23s - 3m 38s cut removing the beginning of the staged Frankenstein play. DD video starts with a corpse already on the table with a raised arm. Missing is some preliminaries with a organ and 2 graverobbers bringing in the corpse and having a long (too too long) discussion with Frankenstein which reveals that they probably murdered the dead guy.

At 31m 23s - 42s cut after Wanda Ventham has gone up the stairs. Mallender and the butler see the young botanist leave, the butler follows and then Mallender starts a discussion with the writer of the play about Galvinism.

At 32m 50s - 54s cut removing footage of the botanist looking for Claire in the woods immediately prior to his murder after she has left him for some 'hide and seek'. We hear her off-screen voice, "this way". In the DD version, Claire goes off to play hide and seek, we cut to the Inspector and then abruptly cut back to the botanist who is immediately attacked by the monster (with the implication he was attacked where she had left him).

At 52m 26s - 1m 21s cut removing an entire scene set on a river bank in which Peter Cushing and his daughter go up to the father of the boy who collects butterflies who is fishing. Cushing says he'll stay fishing with the father while the daughter says she'll go off and pick berries and the father says she might run into his son who is looking for butterflies. The DD version omits this scene and cuts straight from the previous night to a shot of the boy looking for butterflies.

Total 7m 04s so I think that's all and the rest is rounding."
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 26th June 2013, 09:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

As Tim has mentioned in the above the extended version is 7 minutes longer.A blessing or a curse depending on your opinion of the film .
Old 26th June 2013, 09:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Nobody seems to own the marvellous Val Lewton box set that WB released a few years ago Stateside.

The Leopard Man has a great commentary from William Friedkin. Its possible Odeon's could be a direct port.
Rather a late reply to this but I also recommend the superb R1 Val Lewton boxset which I also picked up on release.I Walked With A Zombie is beautifully atmospheric & eerie & the climax of The Bodysnatchers (censored by the BBFC) was superb. "You'll never get rid of me" indeed ! & containing one of Lugosi's last good roles.
Old 26th June 2013, 09:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Rather a late reply to this but I also recommend the superb R1 Val Lewton boxset which I also picked up on release.I Walked With A Zombie is beautifully atmospheric & eerie & the climax of The Bodysnatchers (censored by the BBFC) was superb. "You'll never get rid of me" indeed ! & containing one of Lugosi's last good roles.
I watch the complete set every October, its turned into a Halloween tradition with me.

Bedlam isn't really mentioned much as a Lewton favourite but the more i watch it the better it gets.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 27th June 2013, 09:03 AM
Cult Acolyte

I've never seen either of the Norman J Warren flicks, Satan's Slave and Prey, although I have read about them in the past.I intend to pick up the Odeon double bill DVD set to finally see them for myself, but does anyone know whether both will be fully uncut?
I'd also like to get The Blood Beast Terror on DVD - I haven't seen it in years.Is it really as boring as everyone says? I can't remember too much about it.
Old 27th June 2013, 09:31 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I've never seen either of the Norman J Warren flicks, Satan's Slave and Prey, although I have read about them in the past.I intend to pick up the Odeon double bill DVD set to finally see them for myself, but does anyone know whether both will be fully uncut?
I'd also like to get The Blood Beast Terror on DVD - I haven't seen it in years.Is it really as boring as everyone says? I can't remember too much about it.
Both of Norman's flicks are highly recommended. They ought to be the UK cinema release prints, and are therefore uncut.

The Blood Beast Terror is rather fun I think. I've certainly never found it boring!
mark meakin likes this.
Old 27th June 2013, 09:50 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouserpress View Post
Both of Norman's flicks are highly recommended. They ought to be the UK cinema release prints, and are therefore uncut.

The Blood Beast Terror is rather fun I think. I've certainly never found it boring!
Satan's Slave was heavily cut for an 'X' in 1976 but the cuts were waived for the Norman J. Warren 'coffin' set which I own along with the Amicus,Tigon & Pete Walker ones.However,the BBFC rejected the 'continental' version of the bedroom assault as an extra where Martin Potter cuts off a woman's clothes with some scissors & traces them over her body.It's intact in the Scorpion version,but I was wondering after nearly nine years if the BBFC will pass it for the new Odeon release ?.Quite possibly not.Prey was also slightly cut by about 5 seconds when Barry Stokes eats the corpse of one of the women,but that's also now uncut in the 'coffin' set.Terror is also missing a brief stabbing shot through a woman's foot intact in the Scorpion release & The Horrible Horrors Vol 1 set I own from Rhino.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:42 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Satan's Slave was heavily cut for an 'X' in 1976 but the cuts were waived for the Norman J. Warren 'coffin' set which I own along with the Amicus,Tigon & Pete Walker ones.However,the BBFC rejected the 'continental' version of the bedroom assault as an extra where Martin Potter cuts off a woman's clothes with some scissors & traces them over her body.It's intact in the Scorpion version,but I was wondering after nearly nine years if the BBFC will pass it for the new Odeon release ?.Quite possibly not.Prey was also slightly cut by about 5 seconds when Barry Stokes eats the corpse of one of the women,but that's also now uncut in the 'coffin' set.Terror is also missing a brief stabbing shot through a woman's foot intact in the Scorpion release & The Horrible Horrors Vol 1 set I own from Rhino.
I have the coffin set. The version of SATANS SLAVE to go for is the Katerina one though, best PQ and uncut.
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!