Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree1799Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2017, 08:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
It's an absolute masterpiece in my opinion.

A fusion of art-house vampire film with surrealist Blaxploitation aesthetic.
So if someone had little patience with art house and wasn't keen on Blaxploitation cinema...?
keirarts likes this.
Old 13th April 2017, 08:24 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
So if someone had little patience with art house and wasn't keen on Blaxploitation cinema...?
They'd need a good kick up the arse / they need not bother.

Old 13th April 2017, 08:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Anyone know anything about Ganja & Hess?
in what respect - its background/history or what it is like to watch?

Basically its an arthouse film made by black filmmaker Bill Gunn. it was cut to pieces to try and market it as a blaxploitation vehicle call Blood Couples. later it was restored to its full length and is considered an important film in black filmmaking. its not really a horror film despite the unusual vampire theme. how you take it depends on your sensibility. i find it really interesting but i can imagine it will try the patience of the average horror fan. if you like arthouse and black culture you should give it a try. it should be in the MoC line really.

EDIT: lol i see someone replied more succinctly while i was writing this
Old 13th April 2017, 08:27 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Funnily, it's not easily identifiable as either. It's definitely not something like Shaft, Foxy Brown or Sweet Sweetback… – it is a very different film which is hard to classify.
Old 13th April 2017, 08:29 PM
Cult Addict

Doesn't sound like I should bother.
Old 27th May 2017, 07:55 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Eureka Bank Holiday Weekend Offers.
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th July 2017, 07:52 PM
Cult Addict

New Announcement! JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, a sci-fi, adventure extravaganza will be released on Blu-Ray, as part of the Eureka Classics range on 18 September 2017. Available to pre-order here http://amzn.to/2tPEwMO

Jules Verne’s classic novel, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, is brought to the screen in this thrilling adventure about a band of intrepid explorers descending to the hidden reaches of our world.

Professor Lindenbrook (James Mason; 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, North by Northwest) discovers a long hidden message that reveals the existence of a passage into the centre of the Earth. Leading a team of unlikely adventurers (including Pat Boone, Arlene Dahl and… a duck), the groups daring expedition will see them come up against exploding volcanoes, rockslides and even flesh-eating reptiles!

Scored by the legendary Bernard Hermann and filmed in stunning Cinemascope, Journey to the Center of the Earth is a much beloved classic, and a landmark in both Science-Fiction and Adventure filmmaking. Eureka Classics is proud to present the film for the first time on Blu-ray in the UK, from a stunning 4K restoration.

“one of the very best Hollywood adventure movies, with lots of monsters, underground oceans, sinister villains, and touches which would have delighted Jules Verne himself” – Time Out

BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:

- 1080p presentation from a definitive 4K restoration
- Optional stereo PCM soundtrack and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio options
- Isolated music and effects track
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio Commentary with Actress Diane Baker and Film Historians Steven C. Smith & Nick Redman
- New video interview with critic and author Kim Newman
- Featurette on the film’s restoration
- Original theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an original review of the film from 1959; a poster gallery; and a selection of rare archival imagery

Available to pre-order here http://amzn.to/2tPEwMO
Old 8th July 2017, 06:26 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
New Announcement! JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, a sci-fi, adventure extravaganza will be released on Blu-Ray, as part of the Eureka Classics range on 18 September 2017. Available to pre-order here http://amzn.to/2tPEwMO

Jules Verne’s classic novel, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, is brought to the screen in this thrilling adventure about a band of intrepid explorers descending to the hidden reaches of our world.

Professor Lindenbrook (James Mason; 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, North by Northwest) discovers a long hidden message that reveals the existence of a passage into the centre of the Earth. Leading a team of unlikely adventurers (including Pat Boone, Arlene Dahl and… a duck), the groups daring expedition will see them come up against exploding volcanoes, rockslides and even flesh-eating reptiles!

Scored by the legendary Bernard Hermann and filmed in stunning Cinemascope, Journey to the Center of the Earth is a much beloved classic, and a landmark in both Science-Fiction and Adventure filmmaking. Eureka Classics is proud to present the film for the first time on Blu-ray in the UK, from a stunning 4K restoration.

“one of the very best Hollywood adventure movies, with lots of monsters, underground oceans, sinister villains, and touches which would have delighted Jules Verne himself” – Time Out

BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:

- 1080p presentation from a definitive 4K restoration
- Optional stereo PCM soundtrack and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio options
- Isolated music and effects track
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio Commentary with Actress Diane Baker and Film Historians Steven C. Smith & Nick Redman
- New video interview with critic and author Kim Newman
- Featurette on the film’s restoration
- Original theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an original review of the film from 1959; a poster gallery; and a selection of rare archival imagery

Available to pre-order here http://amzn.to/2tPEwMO
Shall be having that.
Rob4 likes this.
Old 8th July 2017, 09:19 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Finally a new Eureka release that I can be excited about! It's been a while.
Old 8th July 2017, 09:32 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Nice artwork! Depending what's on it, I might pick it up. I have the Twilight Time release, which is personally signed to me by Pat Boone ( yeah I'm rubbing it in! ).

Like this? Share it using the links below!