Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The BFI Blu-ray and DVD Release Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/9116-bfi-blu-ray-dvd-release-thread.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th May 2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 339981)
I really didn't like Joanna at all.

Love the BFI Flipsides though - Private Road, Man Of Violence, Little Malcolm, Deep End and Permissive would be among my favourites so far...

You need to get Black Panther Moj.
A real gem unearthed again after years of obscurity!

Hard to believe this was actually released by Intervision back in the day!

Handyman Joe 7th May 2013 07:44 PM

Joanna has a great dying toff with a heart turn by Donald Sutherland - that and some nice Moroccan locations are all I remember about it.

Best of Flipside - Deep End (the best film I've seen in the past 10 years, it's got everything), Duffer (not saying you'll rewatch it often but you'll never forget it), Bronco Bullfrog (awkward in a brilliant way), The Black Panther (grim realism), The Pleasure Girls and The Party's Over (young Ian McShane and Ollie Reed cutting it up in 60s London with melancholic undertones)

Quite Liked - Little Malcolm (Hurt and Warner are fantastic but it's a little stage bound), Mulberry Bush (loved the first half hour but began to grate), All the Right Noises (small but perfectly formed), Herostratus (intermittently amazing but a bit bloated), The Bed Sitting Room (maybe should be higher need to see this again under the influence), Permissive (grimy), Private Road (endearing)

Not for me - Man of Violence (sorry, I found this unwatchable), Lunch Hour (ho-hum), Requium for a Village (will give this another go - need to be in the right mood), the two London movies (no urge to watch these again, especially that hair transplant)

Trying to muster some enthusiasm for the two latest release - I'm not a huge fan of collections of shorts, would much prefer a couple of movies. Any opinions on these two yet?

Sam 7th May 2013 07:47 PM

My favourite flipside release is The Party's Over. Oliver Reed gives a great performance as the plummy rebel and the main premise is surprisingly pessimistic and downbeat. That said, I'm yet to be disappointed by any of the Flipside releases I've seen, with Permissive and Herostratus also worthy of a mention.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th May 2013 07:49 PM

No one else own Revolution then?

Paul@TheOverlook 7th May 2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 340067)
No one else own Revolution then?

I do, I'm guessing it's not been mentioned because it's not a Flipside title.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th May 2013 10:03 PM

Ah dual format...filpside's the same though innit?

Paul@TheOverlook 7th May 2013 10:32 PM

It's an imprint of BFI, like Tartan Terror or something similar, mate.

Mojo 8th May 2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 340062)
You need to get Black Panther Moj.
A real gem unearthed again after years of obscurity!

Hard to believe this was actually released by Intervision back in the day!

How could I forget this one Reaps! Agree - it's excellent.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th May 2013 06:35 PM

Watched it again last night after leaving here.
Fantastic!:nod:

bdc 8th May 2013 06:43 PM

BFI Flipside - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ;)