Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2011
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th June 2011, 10:58 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Weekly Comp - Eaters: Rise Of The Dead - 05/06/2011 - FINISHED AND SENT

Welcome to June!

To kick of this month's set of weekly competitions I'm giving away three copies of the brand new zombie horror film...

“ONE OF THE BEST ZOMBIE FILMS I HAVE SEEN IN YEARS.” – HORROR-UNRATED.COM.

Presented by cult writer-director-producer Uwe Boll (House Of The Dead; BloodRayne; In The Name Of The King), Eaters: Rise Of The Dead is a smart, stylish and ambitious indie horror movie from first time directors Luca Boni and Marco Ristori. Taking an old-school approach to the genre that thematically and atmospherically recalls the post-apocalyptic terrors of George A. Romero’s classic “Day Of The Dead”, Eaters: Rise Of The Dead combines brains (in every sense of the word!) and gratuitous gore in one neat bloody package that will satisfy even the most demanding zombie movie fans.

The world has been devastated by what has come to be known as the Great Epidemic, the result of a deadly global virus deliberately spread by an anonymous psychotic terrorist called the Plague Spreader. Essentially turning its victims into the living dead, the epidemic has produced a Hell on Earth in which even the Pope has committed suicide in order to escape the unfathomable horror.

Still surviving the madness going on around them is a small group comprising two zombie hunters, Igor (Alex Lucchesi) and Alen (Guglielmo Favilla), a scientist named Gyno (Claudio Marmugi), and Alexis (Rosella Elmi), a former colleague of Gyno’s and girlfriend of Alen, who is somehow still alive despite being infected by the virus. Gyno believes that Alexis could be the key to finding a cure that could save the human race but for his research he desperately needs “guinea pigs”, undead test subjects that Igor and Alen are more than happy to provide in exchange for food, beer and board at Gyno’s lab.

Searching the local countryside for suitable zombie candidates, the two fearless zombie hunters cross paths with an insane artist, a group of neo-Nazis led by a midget Fuhrer, and a mysterious teenage girl who they believe may be the daughter of the Plague Spreader himself. As Igor and Alen routinely risk their lives fighting and trying to capture the undead, unknown to them, Gyno is secretly working to a completely different agenda – one that could have even more terrifying consequences than the problems created by the Plague Spreader.

Excellent gore effects, impressively stylish cinematography and a fitting music score (by Justin Bennett of Skinny Puppy and My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult fame and Stefano Rossello of Italian experimental industrial band Bahntier) combined with the script’s very dark vein of black humour make Eaters: Rise Of The Dead a chilling but hugely entertaining ride through a near-future world overrun by zombie flesh-eaters.

Eaters: Rise Of The Dead
(cert. tbc) will be released on DVD (£12.99) by Chelsea Films on 13th June 2011. Extra features include: Making Of 'Eaters: Rise Of The Dead', VFX Breakdown and Trailer.

Here's some pictures...

Oh and don't be put of my the fact Uwe Boll presents it - it's actually meant to be rather good.

I think I need a break from the hectic competition of last week, so this one is going to be (un)dead easy!

All you have to do is talk about ZOMBIES! What is your favourite zombie scene of all time?

A nice casual chatty competition this week.

Everyone who posts something on this thread will be entered into a random draw next sunday where three winners will be selected (randomly) to win this on DVD.

Simple!

So what's the best and worst zombie scenes in history?

Good luck,

Kyle
Old 5th June 2011, 11:14 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Sooo many 'Best ones' to choose from.

One that instantly stands out is Captain Rhodes' demise in Day of the Dead. Not only do you finf yourself loving the fact that he gets his comeuppance but it's also so incredibly gory and such a twisted way to go (never did understand how zombies exhibit superhuman strength at times mind) and his final cries of "Choke on 'em" perfectly encapsulates his character.

The worst might have to be from Children of the Living Dead, John A Russo's continued attempt at peeing on the legacy of night of the Living Dead (which started with his 30th anniversary edition cut). All together now "Abbot Haaayyeess, Abbot Haaayess!"

Old 5th June 2011, 12:03 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

I have been a fan of zombie films since I saw Night of the Living Dead on late night TV. Since that fateful night all those years ago I must have seen thousands of rotting flesh piles shamble (and now more often than not run) across my TV screen, and on rarer occasion the cinema screen.

As for best and worst zombie scene there are so many to choose from. In the former category notable mentions must go to: the crazy biker in mall scene in Dawn of the Dead, Captain Rhodes death in Day of the Dead, the zombies rising from their graves in Lucio Fulcis Zombi 2 and the ‘I kick ass for the lord’ sequence in Braindead. Over all though I am going to have to go for another sequence in Braindead: the lawnmower scene.

Never before (or after for that matter) have I seen so much carnage in one place at one time. With Lionel turning zombies to gloopy mush with the blades of his lawn mower and Paquita feeding zombie parts into a blender, I think this scene must qualify as one of the goriest and most bizarre pieces of film making ever put to celluloid.

And here it is:

As for the worst scene, I usually find it hard to find any film that contains zombies particularly bad. There are a couple of notable exceptions though. The first one is Tokyo Zombie. I love asian zombies films (especially BIOZOMBIE), and when I spotted TZ in a second hand shop I was excited to see it. The problem is that Tokyo Zombie is extremely boring, and for a comedy extremely unfunny. However, it does not contain the worst zombie scene that I have ever encountered. That award goes to the Ewe Boll crap-fest House of the Dead. I have chosen an extended zombie gun battle that shows off the films annoying traits to the maximum. Let’s list the problems: annoying music, overuse of bullet time, over use of slow-motion, kids who came to the island to party are suddenly gun experts , the action keeps cutting video game clips which is reall f**king annoying, somehow one zombie manages to be able to do a back-flip, and finally no-one ever runs out of ammo!!!

Enjoy:

After watching this clip again I was even more annoyed, because I think with a less overly stylised approach (and some kind of vague justification as to why the kids are so good at fighting) it may have been possible to get a pretty good zombie action scene out of the footage on display here.
Old 5th June 2011, 12:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I dont know to much about uwe boll so i thought id wikipedia him.. And here a snippet of what it says ....

Uwe Boll (German pronunciation: [ˈuːvə ˈbɔl]; born June 22, 1965) is a German director, producer and screenwriter, whose work includes several films adapted from video games. He finances his own films through his Boll KG production company.[1] He is also considered one of the worst directors of all time.....
.As part of a publicity stunt for POSTAL, Uwe Boll released a video stating that he is "the only genius in the whole ****ing [movie] business" and that other directors such as Michael Bay and Eli Roth are "****ing retards".
Old 5th June 2011, 12:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

It would have to be the lawnmower rampage from Braindead, although I also love the shark/zombie sequence from ZFE for its sheer craziness.
Old 5th June 2011, 12:57 PM
Cultist

As already stated, there are so many scenes to choose from. The exploding head in Dawn of the dead, Rhodes death in Day of the dead, the breast bite in Manchester morgue etc. I'd have to go for the lawnmower scene in Braindead though. It lasts forever and there's so much blood.

A special mention should go to the weird kid in Zombie 3 - nights of terror. Scariest thing I've ever seen.
Old 5th June 2011, 01:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Evil Dead has some memorable zombie moments. Also Zombie 2 and Return of the Living Dead come to mind.
Old 5th June 2011, 02:10 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I don't dislike Boll's films. I really like Bloodrayne and Far Cry was certainly watchable. Seed also hits the mark if you want some uncomfortable viewing.

Alone in the Dark is a poor effort though and House of the Dead is absolutely ruined by its video game interludes.
Old 5th June 2011, 02:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

"Presented by Uwe Boll" is not something I'd want put on a movie I was releasing!

Braindead is probably my all time favourite zombie film. I love the moment when a zombie gets her head smashed onto a lightbulb, and her head lights up like a lamp shade! It's such an inventive film.
Old 5th June 2011, 02:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Well I have about 2 hours, 14 minutes and 16 seconds to spare whilst i'm waiting for an eBay item to countdown till the last few seconds so I can snipe it, So I might as well do this now.

I have a bunch of favourite zombie scenes in films but they're favourites for different reasons, So it really is hard to choose.

The public playground scene from Braindead (AKA Dead Alive) has to be one of my favourites for comedic reasons (Even though really their is nothing funny about bashing up a baby). I just find that scene so random, It's great!

Not much of a fan of the Resident Evil films, However it has to be one of my all time favourite video game series ever known to man. The films just really don't fancy me. I think since the success of The Matrix Hollywood has tried to copy that style in different ways, Zombie films being one of them. The reason i'm actually talking about Resident Evil though is...ZOMBIE DOGS! As I said I am a big fan of the Resident Evil game series so I was so happy when I saw that film and saw the Zombie Dogs.

I absolutely love Peter Jackson's Bad Taste and all the gored out scenes in that film are amazing. Although I can't really count any of them because they're aliens not zombies. Boo!

I'd have to say another all time favourite for me is [SPOILER ALERT! IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE EVIL DEAD DO NOT READ ON!] is one of the final scenes in The Evil Dead where the bodies are decaying. I know they aren't really Zombes, Demons really actually, But I thought it deserved a mention.

The exploding head scene from Dawn Of The Dead which was already mentioned is another great and high up on my list!

I think my ALL TIME FAVOURITE would definitely have to be the Lawnmower scene from Braindead which was also already mentioned. Although not my favourite zombie film, There are actually a bunch of MUCH better one, It does have to be the best Zombie scene. It's like ZOMBIES + LAWNMOWER = A **** LOAD OF BLOOD AND GUTS AND ONE ANGRY MOTHER! I don't see how that can't be loved.

On similar note: The caps from Eaters: Rise Of The Dead look really amazing. I really hope I win this one but if not I definitely will be purchasing this DVD. Good luck to everyone!

Like this? Share it using the links below!