Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree244Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th April 2016, 05:49 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Paul Verhoeven ( who seems to have disappeared)
It seems that he has got a new film coming out soon

'Elle', a French language psychological thriller, is due to be entered into the Cannes film festival in May, and then (possibly) on general release sometime after that [IMDB states 25th May for France and Switzerland, while the trailer suggests September]

Elle (2016) - IMDb

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th April 2016, 05:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default virus (1999)

Virus (1999 )

A film based on a comic book shock horror,but for a change not a super hero movie but rather a killer robots on the loose from Dark Horse comics.Donald Sutherland as Capt. Robert Everton is a grizzled and grumpy old sea mariner who makes his money from salvage,included on his team is Kelly Foster (Jamie Lee Curtis) and engineer Steve Baker (William Baldwin) plus the usual assortment of misfits who could only get work stuck in the middle of the ocean where they could do no harm. Add to this the Russian space station Mir,sending some sort of Virus down to a Russian research ship via a bloody great surge of power,which then cause's something mysterious to happen on the ship and the crew to seemingly disappear..Well the burst of energy was an advanced life form that got into the ships computer system and is now causing all sorts of chaos and destruction,which the crew of the salvage ship are about to find out when they board the research vessel in hope of claiming the abandoned ship for salvage, and squeezing some cash out of the Russian government to get her back again and making the crew huge sum of money in the process. Well once the computer takes control,and starts constructing killer cyborgs out of body parts and old Commodore Amiga computers the fun really begins.Its all high octane dumb ass fun as the silliness kicks in and robots who all remarkably look like the robot from Hardware start the killing and rampaging. It does make you wonder what else the film makers can do with a ship in the middle of the ocean,we have had ghosts,monsters,aliens and now robots .Still like most things it was the bloody Russians fault as usual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_ltck08TBek1qzr8nao1_1280.jpg (88.3 KB, 0 views)

Old 26th April 2016, 05:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Virus is another one i enjoy.

I saw it in Orlando. The girl i was there with fancied a day in the sun to chill from all the busy days we'd had and were to come so i went to the cinema...

...All day.

The first film i watched was the Mel Gibson thriller Payback, then Virus, the fun My Favourite Martian and finally A Simple Plan.

Four different films and a great day out.
Old 26th April 2016, 07:28 PM
Cult Master

Prince was originally cast as Ruby Rhod in The Fifth Element | Consequence of Sound

ANYONE would have been better than Chris Tucker!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th April 2016, 08:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Men in Black 3 (2012)

Old 27th April 2016, 07:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Screamers (1995 )

Screamers (1995 film)

Sci-fi action-er based on a short story by Phillip K.Dick,screenplay by Dan O'Bannon and rewrite by Miguel Tejada-Flores.Sirius 6B is a mining planet destroyed by twenty years of war between two groups,The Alliance and New Economic Block.The planet is a post apocalyptic wreck, with dwindling soldiers on both sides the planet surface is full of Screamers,robotic killers who lurk underground and the surface.Good old reliable Peter Weller as Colonel Joseph A. Hendricksson sets out to try and get a truce between the two warring factions after a NEB soldier is killed trying to deliver a message giving save passage through enemy territory. With a mixture of Terminator 2 and sharing a few ideas about artificial intelligence from BladeRunner,Screamers is a amalgam of all those B-movie Terminator rip off's but peppered with some neat ideas of its own.Unfortunately I have not read the source material so could not tell you whether that is down to Phillip K.Dick's story or the genius of O'Bannon or its re-writer. Its also good to see film use practical effects instead of the obligatory CGI,with some rather good matte paintings mixed with the location of "I kid you not" a quarry,where would science fiction be without a quarry.With all the Terminator films,the idea of cyborgs and robots simulating humans,is a little bit old hat by now,but Screamers is certainly better than some of the Terminator sequels and at least has some new ideas to offer.Director Christian Duguay does a fair job at keeping the action going,shame he hasn't done anything else of merit,unless of course you are a fan of the Scanner sequels.Not a classic by any means,but a decent enough film that seemed to have been ignored upon its release,and according to the WWW its now earned cult status .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screamers (1995 ).jpg (92.8 KB, 1 views)

Old 27th April 2016, 07:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Screamers is a hugely underrated film.

Have you seen the sequel? It's well worth a look.
J Harker likes this.
Old 27th April 2016, 07:51 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Screamers is a hugely underrated film.

Have you seen the sequel? It's well worth a look.
no but I think I will as it seems to be worth a punt.

Old 27th April 2016, 08:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
no but I think I will as it seems to be worth a punt.
Oddly when i bought it, it was cheaper to buy the two films together than Screamers 2 on it's own.

No now i look it wasn't that at all. You get the first film as an extra disc in the second film.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 27th April 2016, 09:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

This is my favourite marvel film and one of the best scifi films in the last 10 years( I enjoyed it more than the force awakens), which is because of the enjoyable cast of characters, none stop action and sense humour. Pratt is perfectly cast as Peter Quill aka Star Lord but of course the real stars of the film are Rocket and Groot. It's one of those films I never get bored of watching and it always puts a smile on my face and lifts the spirits. Only downside if yo can call it that most of the characters are under powered both drax and gamora are seriously underpowered, even Peter is under powered as is physical attributes because of his mixed race put him on par with captain America but that can be forgiven as its common thing in the marvel movies

Like this? Share it using the links below!