Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Rob4 19th February 2020 07:23 PM

i don't have a problem with a woke agenda as such. DW has always been a bit woke - exhibit 1 The Green Death. my problem is that it has totally taken over the show and has the subtlety of steam roller in an incubator unit. the writers are just so poor they can only make their point with speeches - exhibit 2 Praxeus, my son said this virtually verbatim to a lesson he'd had at school the previous week! you don't turn people on to your cause by whacking them over the head with a lecture. you do it by planting thoughts and doubts in their heads with thoughtful ideas and observations.

anyway i'd fallen behind with this season but have caught up recently. here's the verdict.

Fugitive of the Judoon - not bad
Praxeus - really really awful
Can You Hear Me? - i didn't think it could get any worse but it did...
The Haunting of Villa Diodati - a really pleasant surprise, it was great :clap:

Haunting was apparently written by the lady who writes Emmerdale. Who'd have thought...?

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th February 2020 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 620875)

anyway i'd fallen behind with this season but have caught up recently. here's the verdict.

Haunting was apparently written by the lady who writes Emmerdale. Who'd have thought...?

As long as the two part finale isn't a disaster i think i'll be picking up the box set at some point down the line.

There are enough reasonable stories - Judoon, Tesla, to go with a good story - Spyfall I & II- and a standout - Villa Diodati - that i could watch again.

Season 11 is the only one i haven't bought and never will.

Susan Foreman 20th February 2020 06:53 AM

Popular music in 'Doctor Who' #50

Episode: 'The Sound Of Drums'
Artist: Rogue Traders
Title: Voodoo Child
Notes:
* Played by the Master as the Toclafane invade Earth
* The song was never definitively named as 'Voodoo Child' on screen, but the lyric 'voodoo child' is heard repeatedly
* It samples the riff from the Elvis Costello song 'Pump It Up'
* According to the DVD commentary, the Rogue Traders recording of the song inspired the title of the episode
* It can be found on the 2005 album 'Here Come The Drums'

Susan Foreman 20th February 2020 07:14 AM

The diehards of doom! Why Doctor Who is the show fans love to hate | The Guardian

"...If Doctor Who seems like a show that has been disappointing its devotees for 56 years and counting, perhaps that is to be expected. After all, no other TV series in history has shown such a wilful disregard for anything approaching a house style, happily pressing the re-set button every week and leaping between planets and time zones, comedy and tragedy, psychodrama and space opera.

Besides, it can be healthy to mock the things we love. Half the fun of being a Doctor Who fan is celebrating those moments where the show falls short of its vaulting overambition. Which, when you’re trying to map an entire universe of wonders and terrors on a BBC budget, is often. (This is the show, lest we forget, that once staged a Concorde hijack in BBC Television Centre.)

Case in point: in 1986, two of Doctor Who’s writers were subjected to a handbagging from a group of “diehard fans” on BBC feedback show Open Air. Among them was a teenager who offered a quietly devastating critique of the “cliched” scripts full of “running up and down corridors and silly monsters”. His name? Chris Chibnall...."

iank 20th February 2020 08:04 AM

The Guardian...

Credibility of article falls to 0 the moment you see the name of the "paper":rolleyes::lol:.

nosferatu42 20th February 2020 09:20 AM

...A bit like the credibility of people who moan about something they don't watch.:rolleyes: :lol:

Deadite 20th February 2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 620875)
i don't have a problem with a woke agenda as such. DW has always been a bit woke - exhibit 1 The Green Death. my problem is that it has totally taken over the show and has the subtlety of steam roller in an incubator unit. the writers are just so poor they can only make their point with speeches - exhibit 2 Praxeus, my son said this virtually verbatim to a lesson he'd had at school the previous week! you don't turn people on to your cause by whacking them over the head with a lecture. you do it by planting thoughts and doubts in their heads with thoughtful ideas and observations.

Yeah, poor writing holding a 'message' can come across as an agenda. I can get that.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th February 2020 10:18 AM

I saw Boom Town again last night for the first time in over a decade.

For an episode that's generally thought of as lower echelon Who the writing was superb, with outstanding interplay between the Doctor, Rose, Jack, Mickey and Margaret Slitheen.

It was actually a joy to watch and makes the writing of the Chibnall era stand out for it's awful clunkiness.

hivemind 20th February 2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 620899)
...A bit like the credibility of people who moan about something they don't watch.:rolleyes: :lol:

...A bit like those who are left watching Parody Who and actually think it's ok, when it's the biggest pile of steaming shite on TV. No accounting for taste. :pound::pound::pound:

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th February 2020 10:34 AM

Image of the Day # 318

1 Attachment(s)
The Master (Roger Delgado) has a quiet moment during Frontier in Space (1973)

https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/att...9&d=1582198463