Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Susan Foreman 5th October 2015 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothmogxx (Post 463611)
Is there a link relating to an article discussing the October 7th announcement? I've just google searched it and at first glance I couldn't see anything.

To be honest, it was something that I shamelessly pinched from the Gallifrey Base forum:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gallifrey Base
Someone on Mondas received a reply from BBCWW regarding this title. They said we'd be getting an announcement on October 7th, with regards to the classic range. Personally, I think there is more than meets the eye here, and that is why we've heard nothing official on this. We shall see.

Susan Foreman 6th October 2015 08:41 AM

Finally!!

"Full details and artwork have been revealed for the 2015 DVD release of the partly missing Patrick Troughton story The Underwater Menace.

underwater-menace-dvd-2015The Underwater Menace is the fifth serial of the fourth season, which was first broadcast in four weekly parts from 14 January 1967 to 4 February 1967. The story introduces Jamie McCrimmon’s (Frazer Hines) on his first journey with the Doctor as a travelling companion.

This special release will contain the two re-mastered existing episodes, with the two missing episodes represented with restored audio and surviving stills, as well as over an hour of extras.

The TARDIS lands in the lost city of Atlantis, where the crazed Professor Zaroff has convinced the Atlanteans that he can raise their city from beneath the sea. But the Doctor discovers the terrible truth behind Zaroff’s plan – he intends to destroy the entire planet. With the doomsday clock ticking, the Doctor and his companions must battle to prevent the apocalypse… Episodes 2 and 3 of this adventure feature fully restored picture and audio. The missing Episodes 1 and 4 are presented using photographic stills and a restored soundtrack.

Episodes 2 and 3 of this adventure feature fully restored picture and audio. The missing Episodes 1 and 4 are presented using photographic stills and a restored soundtrack.

Extras:
  • Commentary with Patrick Troughton’s son Michael (Episode 1), actors Anneke Wills (Polly), Frazer Hines (Jamie), Catherine Howe (Ara), Special Sounds Supervisor Brian Hodgson and Floor Assistant Quentin Mann (Episodes 2 & 3), and archival material from Patrick Troughton, Directors Julia Smith and Hugh David, and Producer Innes Lloyd. (Episode 4). Moderated by Toby Hadoke
  • A Fishy Tale – Anneke Wills, Frazer Hines, Catherine Howe, Assistant Floor Manager Gareth Gwelan, Production Assistant Berry Butler and writer Robert Shearman look back at the making of this controversial story. Narrated by Peter Davison.
  • The Television Centre of the Universe – Part Two. Yvette Fielding continues her tour of BBC Television Centre in the company of actors Peter Davison, Janet Fielding and Mark Strickson, with contributions from former colleagues along the way. With senior camera supervisor Alec Wheal, AFM Sue Hedden, former BBC producer and writer Richard Marson, exhibitions assistant Bob Richardson, production assistant Jane Ashford and videotape engineer Simon Anthony.
  • Programme Subtitles
  • Photo Gallery
  • Digitally remastered picture & sound quality

The region 2 release is finally set for 26 October 2015."

The Underwater Menace Full DVD Details

Roughale 7th October 2015 11:12 AM

Sorry but I have to open a foreign DW fan is puzzled by news article issue ;-) Here it is:

;aybe the Mirror is just a crappy newspaper, that would explain a lot, but I cannot be sure without expert verdicts... There had been talk about the BBC only producing a few specials next year, due to budgetting or something alike, that is sad news, but it made the rounds (here to, I think), so what is the following article all about, Cappaldi declining to make 2 season (series) a year - have they just gone bonkers? Here is the article:

Doctor Who's Peter Capaldi tells the BBC he can't make more episodes this year - Mirror Online

Demoncrat 7th October 2015 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roughale (Post 463821)
Sorry but I have to open a foreign DW fan is puzzled by news article issue ;-) Here it is:

;aybe the Mirror is just a crappy newspaper, that would explain a lot, but I cannot be sure without expert verdicts... There had been talk about the BBC only producing a few specials next year, due to budgetting or something alike, that is sad news, but it made the rounds (here to, I think), so what is the following article all about, Cappaldi declining to make 2 season (series) a year - have they just gone bonkers? Here is the article:

Doctor Who's Peter Capaldi tells the BBC he can't make more episodes this year - Mirror Online

The Mirror, a bastion of truth and decency...NOT.
Not as funny as the Mail online either!! :lol:

Susan Foreman 10th October 2015 06:37 AM

"Everyone knows that there were two Dalek films in the 1960s starring Peter Cushing. It's not generally knwon that there was a third film made in 1967, based on the Doctor Who TV serial 'The Chase'. The master print of the film was lost in a fire in the Aaru / Amicus archives before the film was officially released. In 2009, in a box of dusty, charred old film canisters in the basement of a church in northern England, the last surviving footage from this film was discovered.

All that survived was the trailer..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=josI9YR45dI

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th October 2015 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 464035)
"Everyone knows that there were two Dalek films in the 1960s starring Peter Cushing. It's not generally knwon that there was a third film made in 1967, based on the Doctor Who TV serial 'The Chase'. The master print of the film was lost in a fire in the Aaru / Amicus archives before the film was officially released. In 2009, in a box of dusty, charred old film canisters in the basement of a church in northern England, the last surviving footage from this film was discovered.

All that survived was the trailer..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=josI9YR45dI

Ha,ha. That's terrible.

I hope nobody believes this guff Susan posted.

There was going to be a third film based on The Chase...until Invasion Earth bombed at the box office and plans were shelved.

iank 10th October 2015 10:27 PM

Actor Richard Davies, probably best known for Please Sir! and to Who fans as holiday camp manager Mr Burton in the 1987 story Delta and the Bannermen, has died aged 89. RIP. :(

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th October 2015 01:27 AM

Not sure what to make of tonight's episode.

I liked it. Capaldi was excellent as was the Fisher King and i thought the story had a great atmosphere with the music softly in the background. The actual why's and how's were a bit bollocks though.

JoshuaKaitlyn 11th October 2015 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 464108)
Not sure what to make of tonight's episode.

I liked it. Capaldi was excellent as was the Fisher King and i thought the story had a great atmosphere with the music softly in the background. The actual why's and how's were a bit bollocks though.

Same here! Duffest one of the season so far!

iank 11th October 2015 09:27 PM

To be honest, I watched about 20 minutes, lost interest and went back to watching Angel instead. ;)