Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th January 2017 05:20 PM

Incidentally, Hivemind. With you first seeing Full Circle made me remember recording the last episode of the mind bending Warriors Gate on audio cassette as it played on the tv. I listened to it loads of times.

I used to record loads of themes from tv this way. How sad. :lol:

hivemind 14th January 2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517232)
I did. I have vivid childhood scars from The Robots of Death, The Deadly Assassin, Talons, The Invisible Enemy and The Sunmakers.

As for Mary Tamm, i don't think i ever recovered from the idea of her being strapped down, cut up and replaced by a robot in The Androids of Tara. It's weird as my memories of The Sunmakers were of Leela in the steaming tube. It must be a bondage thing with me. :lol:

Yeah. Tamm was stunning to look at. Though I wasn't taken by Lalla Ward one bit. I was just thinking about the impact of having Nicola Bryant's breasts rammed in front of me whilst she was in that bikini during The Planet of Fire. That certainly had an impact, and my grandfather tried to hold The Sun newspaper up in front of my eyes when she was ready to dive into the sea.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th January 2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 517235)
Yeah. Tamm was stunning to look at. Though I wasn't taken by Lalla Ward one bit. I was just thinking about the impact of having Nicola Bryant's breasts rammed in front of me whilst she was in that bikini during The Planet of Fire. That certainly had an impact, and my grandfather tried to hold The Sun newspaper up in front of my eyes when she was ready to dive into the sea.

I've never got Lalla Ward either.

hivemind 14th January 2017 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517234)
Incidentally, Hivemind. With you first seeing Full Circle made me remember recording the last episode of the mind bending Warriors Gate on audio cassette as it played on the tv. I listened to it loads of times.

I used to record loads of themes from tv this way. How sad. :lol:

You saying that. For my birthday back in 1987, the BBC released an LP of famous BBC TV Themes with Doctor Who, Miss Marple, Dallas, Wicker's World etc... I'm not sure, but this was the first time that the BBC released the 1980's BBC Doctor Who theme in it's complete, unedited version. Good times indeed.

Susan Foreman 14th January 2017 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517203)
What was the first story you recall seeing, Hivemind?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 517207)
I can just recall watching Full Circle on BBC1 with Tom Baker

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517208)
An episode of The Brain of Morbius. It was probably part 3 because the Morbius monster scared the living daylights out of me

'The Sea Devils' from 1972 for me

But I pretty much had to watch it - it was a navy story, and my family is a naval family, and I was living in Gosport at the time. The story was filmed in and around Portsmouth

nosferatu42 14th January 2017 06:07 PM

Mine was Destiny of the Daleks after which i watched it regularly, first appearance by Lalla Ward, so was the first female companion for me.:loveeyes:

I personally really like her and she is one of my favourites, being a time lord/lady too gives her character an interesting dynamic i feel, and i think she's really cute too.:nod:
My first run in with other original Doctors was during the Five faces of Doctor Who repeats in 1981.:pop2:

An Unearthly Child
(Monday 2 to Thursday 5 November 1981)
The Krotons
(Monday 9 to Thursday 12 November 1981)
Carnival of Monsters
(Monday 16 to Thursday 19 November 1981)
The Three Doctors
(Monday 23 to Thursday 26 November 1981)
Logopolis
(Monday 30 November to Thursday 1 December 1981)

Mojo 14th January 2017 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 517250)
Mine was Destiny of the Daleks after which i watched it regularly, first appearance by Lalla Ward, so was the first female companion for me.:loveeyes:

I personally really like her and she is one of my favourites, being a time lord/lady too gives her character an interesting dynamic i feel, and i think she's really cute too.:nod:

Now here speaks a man of taste :nod:

My first Who was SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE. Those 'unfinished' looking faces on the Autons scared the crap out of me. I still think they look creepy as hell - and it's still my favourite story of all time.

hivemind 14th January 2017 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 517255)
Now here speaks a man of taste :nod:

My first Who was SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE. Those 'unfinished' looking faces on the Autons scared the crap out of me. I still think they look creepy as hell - and it's still my favourite story of all time.

I would loved to of seen Spearhead on first transmission. Why can't we have a great Auton story in new Who?. Something with a sinister subtext. Instead of the typical invasion story. When you consider the Autons have barely been seen at all in not so new Dr Who since 2005. Bloody terrible. As much as I dearly like the Daleks, I do feel the Autons need a proper two-parter.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th January 2017 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 517267)
I would loved to of seen Spearhead on first transmission. Why can't we have a great Auton story in new Who?. Something with a sinister subtext. Instead of the typical invasion story. When you consider the Autons have barely been seen at all in not so new Dr Who since 2005. Bloody terrible. As much as I dearly like the Daleks, I do feel the Autons need a proper two-parter.

There are loads of great stories they could do with classic series enemies. The recently published short story book Time Lord Fairy Tales has at least three stories that would absolutely fit the 45 minute slot and would be better than anything screened for years.

I'm not saying which monsters are back in the stories as that would spoil the surprise should you come to read them. One or two of them are by Jac Raynor who wrote The Sontaran Stratagem and Daleks in Manhattan.

hivemind 14th January 2017 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517275)
There are loads of great stories they could do with classic series enemies. The recently published short story book Time Lord Fairy Tales has at least three stories that would absolutely fit the 45 minute slot and would be better than anything screened for years.

I'm not saying which monsters are back in the stories as that would spoil the surprise should you come to read them. One or two of them are by Jac Raynor who wrote The Sontaran Stratagem and Daleks in Manhattan.

I saw that book in WH Smiths just before Xmas. Lovely looking book too. The one Dr Who story I probably most wanted to see back in 1986 with the missing Colin Baker season was Yellow Fever and How to Cure It. Apparently Director Graeme Harper was going to direct. Sucks to high heaven to be honest that this intresting story never got the go-ahead.