Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

hivemind 12th January 2017 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 516720)
Class ratings: Doctor Who spin-off loses half its audience on BBC One

I tried to watch this on BBC1 and, admittedly it was late and I was tired, but I gave up on the first episode after about 30 minutes

It was painful

I recorded both episodes tho, and will try again at a later date

This is the first time in history I have voluntarily turned off a programme that is connected with 'Doctor Who'

I tried watching just the first two eps. Jesus! This show is worse than Torchwood, and that's saying something with a kind hearted intention. If this is the best the BBC can do with Dr Who spin-off's, bar Sarah Jane Adv's, then Lord help us. Once again, I get that feeling that Class may have been more aimed at the American market, but that's just a feeling. I think the BBC will probably want to bury the 'Class Series', and forget all about it. Shocking!

trebor8273 13th January 2017 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 516878)
I tried watching just the first two eps. Jesus! This show is worse than Torchwood, and that's saying something with a kind hearted intention. If this is the best the BBC can do with Dr Who spin-off's, bar Sarah Jane Adv's, then Lord help us. Once again, I get that feeling that Class may have been more aimed at the American market, but that's just a feeling. I think the BBC will probably want to bury the 'Class Series', and forget all about it. Shocking!

I would say its more aimed at the teen market than the American one. But either way its shit.

hivemind 13th January 2017 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 516887)
I would say its more aimed at the teen market than the American one. But either way its shit.

I was beginning to think that I better get my DVD copy of K-9 and Company out after being subjected to just how shit this was. I actually wanted to enjoy Class. I just don't know ?why? the BBC even bothered.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th January 2017 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 516971)
I was beginning to think that I better get my DVD copy of K-9 and Company out after being subjected to just how shit this was. I actually wanted to enjoy Class. I just don't know ?why? the BBC even bothered.

When i heard it was political correctness gone wild i pretty much disowned it. The only episode i wouldn't mind seeing is the final one just for the Weeping Angel.

Susan Foreman 13th January 2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 516984)
The only episode i wouldn't mind seeing is the final one just for the Weeping Angel.

30 seconds, if that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dm3HHBj6gA

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th January 2017 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 517023)

Thanks, Susan.

From that clip it actually seems a decent show. :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th January 2017 04:19 PM

Pic of the Day # 1

1 Attachment(s)

iank 13th January 2017 08:06 PM

Saw The Sontaran Strategm again last night. Started watching Unicorn and the Wasp but turned it off after ten minutes or so on the grounds that its utter pants. I actually really enjoyed Strategm though. It's unlikely to be anyone's favourite Doctor Who story and is so generic it's practically Who by numbers but for switch your brain off fun it's actually a really good romp. I'm surprised they've never brought Chris Ryan back for a proper Sontaran sequel as he's certainly the best Sontaran since Kevin Lindsay. Same goes for Colonel Mace too actually; as a Brigadier stand-in he's certainly light years ahead of dreary Kate. Very enjoyable. Certainly more fun than the Moffat era has been for a very long time! ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th January 2017 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 517125)
Saw The Sontaran Strategm again last night. Started watching Unicorn and the Wasp but turned it off after ten minutes or so on the grounds that its utter pants. I actually really enjoyed Strategm though. It's unlikely to be anyone's favourite Doctor Who story and is so generic it's practically Who by numbers but for switch your brain off fun it's actually a really good romp. I'm surprised they've never brought Chris Ryan back for a proper Sontaran sequel as he's certainly the best Sontaran since Kevin Lindsay. Same goes for Colonel Mace too actually; as a Brigadier stand-in he's certainly light years ahead of dreary Kate. Very enjoyable. Certainly more fun than the Moffat era has been for a very long time! ;)

It's not a fave of mine i admit but i do think it's quite close to a typical 70's Pertwee story.

hivemind 13th January 2017 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517148)
It's not a fave of mine i admit but i do think it's quite close to a typical 70's Pertwee story.

I've watched The Sontaran two-parter quite a few times and rather enjoyed the story, though Helen Raynor's other two-parter, The Daleks Take Manhattan leaves a lot to be desired. I also enjoyed Planet of the Ood. The story that I really enjoyed was Midnight. Probably one of the best stories to be written by dear Russ, or not so dear Russ with The End of Time and Voyage of the Damned. Yuck!