Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2017 12:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 519839)
In my adult life I've never really been much of a Whovian but as a kid I loved it every week, I remember episodes from Tom Baker up to Sylvester McCoy, I think Peter Davison being my most remembered Doctor.

I think that I might want to dip my toe into the waters and get a couple of DVDs. What do you all recommend? I'm not a fan of latter day Who though it has to be said.

Over to you lot :D

From your post, Justin, i'd say perhaps try Genesis of the Daleks which is seen to be Tom Baker's best story (I'd also perhaps suggest Pyramids of Mars and Terror of the Zygons also) and Earthshock which is a very good Davison story.

Justin101 3rd February 2017 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 519842)
From your post, Justin, i'd say perhaps try Genesis of the Daleks which is seen to be Tom Baker's best story (I'd also perhaps suggest Pyramids of Mars and Terror of the Zygons also) and Earthshock which is a very good Davison story.

Thanks Dem, the story arcs always have such excellent names :D Pyramids of Mars sounds straight out of a Lovecraft story!

Justin101 3rd February 2017 01:06 PM

According to the website, my local CEX has Genesis of the Daleks in stock for £3.50 so I'll go and get it on my way home.

hivemind 3rd February 2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 519839)
In my adult life I've never really been much of a Whovian but as a kid I loved it every week, I remember episodes from Tom Baker up to Sylvester McCoy, I think Peter Davison being my most remembered Doctor.

I think that I might want to dip my toe into the waters and get a couple of DVDs. What do you all recommend? I'm not a fan of latter day Who though it has to be said.

Over to you lot :D

Some different stories to track down on DVD. Obviously two of the best Baker stories have already been picked. Always enjoyed Tom Baker's opener, Robot.

Hartnell Era
----------------
An Unearthly Child
The Ark

Troughton Era
------------------

The Tomb of the Cybermen
The Web of Fear

Jon Pertwee Era
---------------------

The Green Death
Inferno

Tom Baker Era
------------------

Robot
The Talons of Weng-Chiang
The Seeds of Doom

Peter Davison Era
----------------------

The Awakening
Frontios
Mawdryn Undead
Black Orchid

Colin Baker Era
-------------------

Revelation of the Daleks
Mark of the Rani

Slyvester McCoy Era
-------------------------

The Greatest Show in the Galaxy
Survival
The Curse of Fenric

Those are the ones I would recommend to you.

Justin101 3rd February 2017 01:14 PM

That's really helpful, thanks Hivemind.

trebor8273 3rd February 2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 519844)
According to the website, my local CEX has Genesis of the Daleks in stock for £3.50 so I'll go and get it on my way home.

just make sure its not those DVD that came with a magazine, they are bare bones with none of the excellent extras that a lot who dvds have and the art work on them is awful

had a bunch turn up today that i had forgot that i had ordered, will post pics later

Justin101 3rd February 2017 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 519847)
just make sure its not those DVD that came with a magazine, they are bare bones with none of the excellent extras that a lot who dvds have and the art work on them is awful

Thanks Treb, I've already looked on DVD Compare so I knew what kind of features it should have, Genesis has 2 hour long docs on it so i'd definitely want the 2 disc version.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 519844)

Nice one, hope you love it as much as the rest of us do. :pop2:

hivemind 3rd February 2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 519846)
That's really helpful, thanks Hivemind.

No probs. You've got some great stories to find on DVD. Reminds me of when I first started watching Who stories waaaaay back in the mid-1980's when BBC Video started releasing them on either the rental market or the sell-thru market (retail). My first VHS watch was The Pyramids of Mars from my local VHS rental shop. Then the legendary Brain of Morbius. Those were the days....

Just as a side note. I can remember buying my first Dr Who video from WH. Smith's in Aldershot. I think it was about 1986. And it was The Pyramids of Mars. When the BBC started putting only a select few titles out, they retailed at crazy prices like 24.99. And HMV had the big box rentals of The Brain of Morbius and Revenge of the Cybermen at 45.00 pounds.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2017 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 519845)
Some different stories to track down on DVD. Obviously two of the best Baker stories have already been picked. Always enjoyed Tom Baker's opener, Robot.

Hartnell Era
----------------
An Unearthly Child
The Ark

Troughton Era
------------------

The Tomb of the Cybermen
The Web of Fear

Jon Pertwee Era
---------------------

The Green Death
Inferno

Tom Baker Era
------------------

Robot
The Talons of Weng-Chiang
The Seeds of Doom

Peter Davison Era
----------------------

The Awakening
Frontios
Mawdryn Undead
Black Orchid

Colin Baker Era
-------------------

Revelation of the Daleks
Mark of the Rani

Slyvester McCoy Era
-------------------------

The Greatest Show in the Galaxy
Survival
The Curse of Fenric

Those are the ones I would recommend to you.

Some interesting choices, Hivemind.

An Unearthly Child, first episode aside, i find a bit of a chore to get through. I'd have picked The Mutants (The Daleks), instead.

Talons is an obvious choice but i avoided that as the best release of the story is in a Revisitations set and would therefore cost more money. Robot i've always thought was just okay.

I watched The Awakening last week again. It still stands up. I remember when it was transmitted, i was sure it was a sequel to The Daemons. Mawdryn Undead is one of those stories i don't watch very often and is due a rewatch, Arc of Infinity falls into that category, in fact the whole season does, so i watched Arc over two nights this week... and thoroughly enjoyed it. Frontios is just brilliant.

I'd always choose Ghost Light as well as Fenric and Survival, not to mention Remembrance of the Daleks if asked about McCoy's adventures. Four very different stories that show how varied the show really is.

I've said before on here. Season 26 is probably my favourite season of Doctor Who. and as with everything is always about personal choice.