Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 16th February 2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 521527)
None of the actors playing the Doctor put me off a story.

I can just as easily watch Colin Baker as i can David Tennant or Patrick Troughton. It's the stories themselves, the writing, that can put me off not Capaldi, McCoy or Pertwee.

Very true, however ensemble cast and the aesthetic of the show / quality of the writing and the stories can and will put me off irrelevant of who plays the Doctor. That goes for any show / film though.

Inspector Abberline 16th February 2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 521529)
I always felt sorry for him. He'd offer one to someone he'd just met and more often than not they'd flip the bag out of his hands and onto the floor. Twats!

Also an old man handing out sweeties while lurking in doorways of a police box,may not go down to well these days.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 16th February 2017 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 521529)
I always felt sorry for him. He'd offer one to someone he'd just met and more often than not they'd flip the bag out of his hands and onto the floor. Twats!

That scene in Robots of Death always has me chuckiling at how over the top the reaction to being offered a jelly baby is. :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th February 2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 521528)
Interesting. I'd always pegged you as a Baker man.

All that Nu-Who must be rotting your brain and clouding your senses! :tongue1:

:lol:

Baker's problem was that after a few years he clearly knew he was the star of the show and it showed in his performances.

Besides Baker and co had a lot of great stories to work with. Poor Matt Smith shone through despite the shite he had to perform in.

I've always loved William Hartnell fumbling his way along though. Everything in one take. I'd like to see Jim Cameron work like that.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 16th February 2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 521536)
:lol:

Baker's problem was that after a few years he clearly knew he was the star of the show and it showed in his performances.

I think that added strength to his performance in a lot of ways as he had this cocksure yet manic persona to him that made you hang on his every word and action.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th February 2017 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 521533)
That scene in Robots of Death always has me chuckiling at how over the top the reaction to being offered a jelly baby is. :lol:

Yes, it's Brian Croucher who played Travis in Blakes-7.

You can almost sense robot hands strangling the life out of him for his OTT meanness.

Inspector Abberline 16th February 2017 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 521537)
I think that added strength to his performance in a lot of ways as he had this cocksure yet manic persona to him that made you hang on his every word and action.

How many stories did he do without an assistant?

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th February 2017 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 521532)
Also an old man handing out sweeties while lurking in doorways of a police box,may not go down to well these days.

Would you like a sweetie and come and play with a robot dog?

I dreaded seeing news headlines during Savillegate because of this. Tom Baker was always seen dressed as the Doctor visiting and ,meeting kids.

Thankfully, Tom and all the Doctors were true gents. :woot:

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th February 2017 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 521540)
How many stories did he do without an assistant?

One.

tele1962 16th February 2017 06:56 PM

Bollox, i missed out Peter Davison. But voted for all the ones i have watched so far ( i would have included Peter Cushing ;)). They have all been great.