Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2011, 09:12 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

"As part of its of its Warner Bros Archive Collection, WB has just announced the availability of the gory 1970 Brit sci-fi flick NO BLADE OF GRASS on DVD. Directed by acting legend Cornel Wilde, the film takes place after an environmental catastrophe destroys civilization. A couple (Nigel Davenport and Jean Wallace) try to lead their family to safety in a savage world, but sometimes a flight for salvation can become a journey to damnation! Raw, uncompromising and violent, the film was years ahead of its time. Rare screenings of the film over the years have been eagerly sought out by fans of extreme cinema, and its now available on home video in a full, uncut remastered 16x9 edition." (Dvd Drive-in)
Old 20th October 2011, 07:16 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

"Just read at Mobius that Warner goofed up the reels and the initail pressing runs the show out of order.
Even if you've never seen this, you'll notice a character is dead, and then later is alive again...oopps.
If you want this, wait til they fix the problem in a few weeks." (John Bernhard)
Old 20th October 2011, 10:13 PM
Active Cultist

Thanks for the heads-up, certainly sounds interesting, I will order it as soon as PlanetAxel stock it, they seem to offer the best prices for UK imports of the MOD discs.
Old 21st October 2011, 09:29 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

If they don't stock it,just mail them and they will stock it.
Old 10th November 2011, 08:37 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
If they don't stock it,just mail them and they will stock it.
Sounds as if they shot themselves in the foot with this. Will anyone be ordering it if they know the sequence of reels is faulty? I'd love to see it but don't feel inclined to buy it if it's a messed up version.
Old 10th November 2011, 08:47 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'm guessing that Warner will recall the faulty ones?

It's listed at Axel now but has been pushed back to the end of December so maybe they already recalled the first pressing?

Noticed Amazon isn't selling it either,although some webshops seem to still have the faulty one for sale.

I would try to contact Warner Archives about it (facebook or their site)

Warner Archives preview clip

Old 11th November 2011, 01:09 PM
Cultist in Training

Oo! This slipped under my nose. Shame on me. Uncut, 16x9, and remastered. I need a cold shower...

I recently imported the WA 'Dont be afraid of the dark' SE, and was very impressed with the quality, so hopefully NBOG will look as good. 2nd bit of good news today, what with discovering the Blue Underground 'Zombie' Blu-ray is out too! Where are the fanfares with these releases?! I only seem to find out by accident. Good job I spend more time surfing the net than working..
Old 5th February 2012, 06:27 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default NO BLADE OF GRASS 1970 Cornel Wilde

Here's a strange one.....a British futuristic exploitation shocker!

Due to pollution the planet's food sources have been depleted,leaving Nigel Davenport and his family,along with a band of stragglers to exit the city and head up north to the 'promised land' of his brother's farm.

Another hidden gem in the Warner Archive collection,this one is surprisingly shocking!

Plenty of gun violence,a double rape,actual birth footage,racist comments and an assorment of F word's!

Yep,a rare breed.
An apocalyptic movie set and filmed in the UK.
Look out for a load of young Brit character actors!
Well worth checking out!

Forty two years since it was made,and it gives an environmental warning which is far more relevant today.

Anyone else caught this?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51pqFgvIqvL.jpg (55.9 KB, 6 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 5th February 2012, 06:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Blimey I saw this one years ago. Would love to see this forgotten gem get an outing on Hi Def.
Old 5th February 2012, 06:43 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Not seen it since I was a kid, but remember it being pretty harsh and bleak.

What's the quality of the Warner Archive like? I'm putting in an order for a few of those soon and suppose another one won't harm anything ( )

Like this? Share it using the links below!