Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st April 2015, 11:14 PM
Cult Rookie

I've always been weak for The Carnosaur movies to be honest. I've probably watched those more times than the Jurassic Park movies :P
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 22nd April 2015, 10:41 AM
Cult Acolyte

I'm a big fan of Ray Harryhausen's dinosaur movies - One Million Years BC and The Valley of Gwangi. I also really enjoy the Jurassic Park movies. I'm looking forward to checking out the latest film in the series.
Old 26th April 2015, 03:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Loved the Harryhausen's as a kid, still do, The Valley of Gwangi, 20 Million Miles to Earth and When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth are my favourites, although that last one is more to do with Victoria Vetri!
victoria_vetri_0008_h1OIlmM.sized.jpg
Old 26th April 2015, 06:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I'm a big fan of Ray Harryhausen's dinosaur movies - One Million Years BC and The Valley of Gwangi. I also really enjoy the Jurassic Park movies. I'm looking forward to checking out the latest film in the series.
I also can;t wait for the new jurassic movie! i have beenbuying old collecatbles of jurassic park recently from ebay to get nostalgic... My other half took me to a cinema in scotland as they were showing the first film! i loved it!
Old 26th April 2015, 06:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I read the banner as Dino Moves, I thought this was going to be a retro dance thread. Very disappointed!

But, I'll be a sport.

The Land that Time Forgot
The Lost World (1960)
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
The Valley of Gwangi

I did used to love these type of films as a child, watching them with my grandad. But nothing beats the tv series Dinosaurs.
Old 28th June 2015, 10:01 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Has anyone here seen Jurassic World yet? I've been dying to see it but just haven't had the chance yet!

What do you make of it?

P.S. Check out this great Jurassic Park video...if it was set during different prehistoric eras...

Nosferatu@Cult Labs and Vipp like this.
Old 28th June 2015, 12:01 PM
Cult Master

I saw it a few weeks back Kyle went to see it with my girlfriend who is a die hard Jurassic Park fan so her expectations and standards were very high. We both loved it it's really does a great job of blending the old with the new. If you are a fan of the original this one will not let you down one bit.
Vipp likes this.
Old 28th June 2015, 01:00 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I think the first dinosaur film I saw was one of the first films I watched at the cinema: The Land before Time.

I saw Jurassic World on Monday, hoping for the best but expecting the worst and there was a bit of both. The main characters are under developed with fairly clear character arcs (when you have brothers with a frayed relationship, and both are distant from their workaholic aunt, you know they will be very close by the end and their aunt will have realised the importance of family), which isn't so different from the first Jurassic Park.

It was interesting to see them address the need for 'bigger, better or badder' dinosaurs because the 'wow factor' has now gone – I remember being blown away by the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park when I saw it in the early '90s – so they now need something for the crowd and to satisfy the corporate sponsors (one of the characters jokes about creating a Pepsisaurus), so the new dinosaur makes sense within the realms of the environment in which the theme park operates.

The bit which annoyed and do it aged me was when Bryce Dallas Howard was running around with Chris Pratt in high heels and he didn't even modify them, as Michael Douglas did to Kathleen Turner's shoes in Romancing the Stone (with a similar relationship between the male and female leads), so she is sprinting around (and even outrunning a dinosaur) in heels!

Overall, I was fairly happy with it, but it's nowhere as good or exciting as it could or should have been.
Vipp likes this.
Old 28th June 2015, 03:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I think the first dinosaur film I saw was one of the first films I watched at the cinema: The Land before Time.

I saw Jurassic World on Monday, hoping for the best but expecting the worst and there was a bit of both.
Your review kinda sums it up Nos but i felt the dull and annoying stuff was blasted out of the water but the awesome stuff! I have not had this much fun in the cinema for years! ! !

Nos is also right about the blending of the first movie and the new one, they nod to all the old tech from the first movie and it looks so badly outdated but when i was a wee lad it was futuristic!

I will go and see this movie again, it was a lot of fun, but for a more accurate review read what Nos said above, he hit the nail on the head. although i am a big Jurrasic Park fan and i also thought this film will fit nicley into the trilogy... thats right folks, Jurrasic Park 2 doesn't exist.

Oh one more thing! that special jurrasic park theme music needed to be in the film a lot more! i was waiting for the epic score to kick in and instead we got a christmas jingle? odd thought i.

Oh last thing i promise... (SPOILER ALERT) i thought Megan Fox was brilliant! every film should do to her what this film did and i would watch them all! HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 28th June 2015, 03:48 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Imagine how good Jurassic World could have been if there were dachshunds instead of dinosaurs!

Demdike@Cult Labs and Vipp like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!