Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree214Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd July 2023, 10:24 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Don’t forget that PG literally means parental guidance and if there was ever a film that required parental guidance it’s Watership Down. I too remember being very upset after watching it.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 22nd July 2023, 10:24 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Not really 'censoring' as such, but the BBFC has reclassified 'Watership Down' as a 'PG' rating, upping it from the 'U' rating it has had since it was first released in 1978

"The reasoning for Watership Down’s new ‘PG’ rating is due to "mild violence, threat, brief bloody images and bad language""

https://www.thedigitalfix.com/waters...ng-it-deserves
The same thing happened some time ago to Jaws, which was rated A on its theatrical release, then reclassified PG in 1987, before being reclassified again to 12A in 2012.

Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Rocky, and The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring have also been reclassified from PG to 12A at various points and The Empire Strikes Back was upgraded from a U certificate to a PG in 2020.

https://inews.co.uk/culture/film/sta...atings-1361235

Watership Down is a film with some intense and quite harrowing moments, so I'm not surprised it has a Parental Guidance certificate rather than being deemed 'suitable for all'.
Old 22nd July 2023, 12:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Don’t forget that PG literally means parental guidance and if there was ever a film that required parental guidance it’s Watership Down. I too remember being very upset after watching it.
A mate just sent me this email

Quote:
Watership down been reclassified as a PG from a U. Make it an 18 I say or better still ban the f^cker!!! Most disturbing film I've ever seen.
Old 22nd July 2023, 02:12 PM
Cult Master

'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' (1979) has also just* been upgraded to a 'PG' from a 'U'

"brief mild horror, sex references"

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 13th August 2023, 05:26 PM
Active Cultist

Talking Pictures is now showing The French Connection in the Disney censored version. It was uncut on the BBC a month ago.
Old 26th February 2024, 12:57 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

In its latest round of reclassifying films, the BBFC has changed Mary Poppins from a U to a PG certificate because of two uses of discriminatory language, specifically the word Hottentots, which Admiral Boom uses twice.

This was a learning experience for me because I didn't know the history of the word, exactly what Admiral Boom was talking about, and why Hottentot is now considered a racist term, but it looks like the BBFC is keeping up with the times and reflecting contemporary mores rather than what was considered acceptable in 1964.

Although it seems unlikely that children watching Mary Poppins would be upset or offended by the language, it seems common sense to raise awareness about the term so they don't repeat it and unintentionally offend someone who does consider it a racial slur.
Quote:
Mary Poppins has had its age rating lifted from U to PG because it contains 'discriminatory language' - but the word in question is so obscure you may have never noticed it.

The British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) now considers the 1964 tale of Julie Andrews' magical nanny to be not suitable for children to watch alone, despite the film enchanting generations of youngsters.

The reclassification is due to the use of the word Hottentots. The dated term was historically used by Europeans to refer to the Khoekhoe, a group of nomadic herders in South Africa, but is now regarded as racially offensive.

Admiral Boom, played by Reginald Owen, who believes he is a naval commander in charge of a ship, uses the word twice in the film. On the first occasion, he is seen dangling from the roof in a boat where he asks one of the Banks children if they are 'going to fight the Hottentots'.

Later in the film when the chimney sweeps, whose faces are blackened from soot, dance on the roof the admiral exclaims 'we're being attacked by Hottentots'.

He then aims fireworks at them.

According to the BBFC's guidelines on PG content, 'some scenes may be unsuitable for young children'.

They add that while children of any age can watch, parents are advised to consider whether the content may upset 'younger, or more sensitive, children'.

The BBFC looked at historical context – the film is set in early 20th century London – but the fact the language is not condemned means it now exceeds guidelines for a U film.

The BBFC said: 'We understand from our racism and discrimination research... that a key concern for... parents is the potential to expose children to discriminatory language or behaviour which they may find distressing or repeat without realising the potential offence.'

It added: 'Content with immediate and clear condemnation is more likely to receive a lower rating.'

The BBFC recently dropped Brad Pitt's movie Fight Club from an 18 to a 15 despite 'sequences of graphic and brutal violence'.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...uage-BBFC.html

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 27th February 2024 at 05:16 PM.
Old 26th February 2024, 04:46 PM
Cult Master

I don't have a problem with films being reclassified - at least the 'offending' word wasn't removed, over-dubbed or altered in any way and the film can still be seen how it was originally intended
marvinnashsear likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th February 2024, 05:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
I don't have a problem with films being reclassified - at least the 'offending' word wasn't removed, over-dubbed or altered in any way and the film can still be seen how it was originally intended
I agree but looking at in the reality of what the BBFC are saying is that you shouldn't let your kids watch Mary bloody Poppins alone in case they hear the word 'Hottentot'.
Old 26th February 2024, 08:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

It's a strange one. I'd never heard of the word and I think I'm above average on colonial history.

Without specifically saying why on the box the film is a PG are they expecting parents to watch the film in advance (or with the children) to try and identify one very obscure potentially offensive word and then sit down with their tots and explain this was a very naughty word used to upset a very particular group in South Africa, over a 100 years ago, and you must never ever say it, just in case, on the off chance, that one of this group might overhear you and be offended...?

Mmm methinks Mrs Average from Bolton won't be doing that...
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 26th February 2024, 08:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Guess who's buying the sealed copy of the old dvd that he has on the shelf then ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!