Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th October 2008, 06:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

No but Mountain Of The Cannibal God was on last night though I only saw a bit.The animal cruelty was more than likely cut anyway .I will be getting the network dvd release of Arthur C.Clarke's Mysterious World for certain too.I remember watching the series when it was first aired & the haunting theme music has stayed with me ever since.I was given te book for christmas in 1980.There I was eager to unwrap this huge book then 10 wrapping sheets of paper later(thanks to my joker of an uncle !) it looked rather small to what I imagined it would be !.
Old 26th January 2009, 05:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

OK so I've just watched Stigma and Ice House and what a huge disappointment! Stigma was atmospheric, it looked the part (despite being set in the modern day) and as a standalone it was a good episode in its own right. The problem was that I prefer chills over gore and that was all Stigma offered was a bit of blood and nudity. It was a massive change of direction and was much inferior to Lawrence Gordon Clarke's earlier Ghost Stories. As I say, not bad but didn't really fit in with the rest of the series.

Ice House though was pretty dire, maybe I need to revisit it again to pick up things I may have missed just now? But from this viewing I was left cold (no pun intended) because it had no scares, a lame plot and some uninspiring characters. Disappointing.

At least I have the full set now anyway. BBC or BFI, a DVD box set please.
Old 28th January 2009, 03:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I've never seen Stigma or Ice House though I gather they're pretty mediocre.I ordered Mystery & Imagination (1966) before christmas which is out in march & I'm looking forward to seeing them for the first time.
Old 28th January 2009, 04:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Stigma was mediocre, Ice House was plain crap imo. It made no sense at all and wasn't in the least bit unsettling. Hmmm, send me a reminder some time soon and I'll burn you a copy if you like.

I heard that the lost episodes of Mystery & Imagination had been recovered. I'm gonna buy the set regardless but if it is complete I'll get it in double quick time.

Now if only someone would put box sets of Strange But True? and the '70s American series In Search Of... out.
Old 28th January 2009, 06:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Leonard Nimoy's In Search Of.... was great Cloud.I can remember several episodes scaring me big time as a kid.Going on the running time of The Mystery & Imagination series on Amazonuk I can't see it being the whole collection.Thanks for offering to do the Ghost stories too cheers !
Old 28th January 2009, 06:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

There were 24 episodes of Mystery & Imagination and apparently the set only contains 3 discs:-
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165050/episodes
THat would be 8 to a disc if all have been found.I gather all were around 50-60 minutes too ?.
Old 29th January 2009, 04:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Do you know the name of the In Search Of... episode when a ghost comes out of a closet? That's one I've heard about but have never got round to finding. I know someone who's selling the whole set for $150 (with artwork and rare episodes), I was gonna take the plunge and then the value of the British Pound collapsed!

But yeah it was fantastic, it had an atmosphere all of its own.

Regarding Mystery & Imagination, time will tell I guess but Amazon may well have got the specs wrong as they listed it shortly after it was announced. That gave Network months to locate any missing episodes. If it is complete I will be a very happy man!
Old 29th January 2009, 06:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Here's the season guide off the IMDB if it's any help.The Ghost one you mentioned may well be one of the particular ones that creeped me out.There are a few on You Tube BTW:-
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074007/episodes
The ghost one is probably that in season 1 (Episode 18)
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've just received an email from Network's customer service regarding how complete Mystery & Imagination is and here's what they said:

Quote:
Hi

Thank you very much for your email.

The Mystery and Imagination release brings together all six of the specially commissioned feature-length teleplays which made up the latter incarnation of Mystery and Imagination. Produced by Thames Television, and originally screened between 1968 and 1970.

Please not that the release of the DVD has been pushed back by a couple of months.

Very best

Maxim
So I guess that means that the missing episodes haven't been found afterall .
Old 3rd February 2009, 04:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Thanks for that Cloud .Sad news but I'll let them know on the CMF.

Like this? Share it using the links below!