Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   What TV Have You Seen? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/7170-what-tv-have-you-seen.html)

gag 21st March 2016 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 481891)
For the first time in years, I was able to sit down and watch Saturday evening television yesterday

'Can't Touch This', 'Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway', 'You're Back In The Room'?

Is this the best entertainment that Saturday can come up with?

God help us!

I been complaining about tv for yrs, so guess be another few yrs before you watch it again? And it only feel like a few week ago because ant and dec and philip schofield will still be there presenting something.
Think they should rename itv to something else eg ant dec and philip schofield channel because all 3 are hardly ever off and seem to be everywhere.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st March 2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 481946)
I been complaining about tv for yrs,

So what don't you like about The Night Manager or Happy Valley,gag?

Frankenhooker 21st March 2016 11:27 AM

Plenty of cracking shows currently being broadcast . The aforementioned Happy Valley and The Night Manager are fantastic, then there's The People Vs OJ Simpson, Murder and Line Of Duty is returning soon. That's just on terrestrial TV.

Demoncrat 21st March 2016 12:18 PM

Mr Pickles.

See for yourselves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDa9DVuwRDc

gag 21st March 2016 02:13 PM

Apart from oj simpson not seen the rest but a handfull of ok r good tv shows doesnt justify 5channels thats broadcasting 24/7 when u got tonnes of shite, quiz shows, talk shows, reality shows, soaps, home improvemnts, cash in the attic, all style of similar shows.
Dont get me wrong some are ok..

Susan Foreman 21st March 2016 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 481975)
Apart from oj simpson not seen the rest but a handfull of ok r good tv shows doesnt justify 5channels thats broadcasting 24/7 when u got tonnes of shite, quiz shows, talk shows, reality shows, soaps, home improvemnts, cash in the attic, all style of similar shows.

Pink Floyd: 'Nobody's Home' from 'The Wall':

"I got elastic bands keepin my shoes on.
Got those swollen hand blues.
Got thirteen channels of shit on the T.V. to choose from.
I've got electric light.
And I've got second sight.
And amazing powers of observation.
And that is how I know
When I try to get through
On the telephone to you
There'll be nobody home."

Only 13!!!!

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st March 2016 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 481975)

Maybe you should stay away from those mass consumption shows then.

Agreed there's nothing on during the day on terrestrial tv but Freeview has some decent stuff on from archive episodes of Morse to the Horror Channel. You could always read a book or play music rather than watch tv. That's what i do.

Besides with Freeview and Sky there's always something to watch.

keirarts 22nd March 2016 06:49 AM

Watching my way through Daredevil season 2. Not going to say much to avoid spoilers aside from it being terrific. The punisher stuff is the best bits of this season and I think it has the best screen Punisher so far in Jon Bernthal.

J Harker 23rd March 2016 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 481942)
The Night Manager. Episode 5.

Arms deals in the desert....shit blows up...big style!!!

Definitely going to pick this up on dvd in a few months time and watch it in two sittings.

Inspired casting in Hugh Laurie. There's nothing quite as pretty as napalm at night.👍

J Harker 23rd March 2016 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 482044)
Watching my way through Daredevil season 2. Not going to say much to avoid spoilers aside from it being terrific. The punisher stuff is the best bits of this season and I think it has the best screen Punisher so far in Jon Bernthal.

Just watched episodes 3&4. Fuffin brilliant stuff. And yes Jon Bernthal makes for an excellent punisher.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd March 2016 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 482167)
Inspired casting in Hugh Laurie. There's nothing quite as pretty as napalm at night.👍

:nod: That was a great line wasn't it? :lol:

J Harker 23rd March 2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 482180)
:nod: That was a great line wasn't it? [emoji38]

Gregory House.M.D as an arms dealer. Brilliant!

J Harker 28th March 2016 09:36 AM

Finale of The Night Manager last. Cracking bit of tv with some great casting, Tom Hiddleston and particularly Hugh Laurie were excellent.
I also watched a few more episodes of Daredevil last night, still an excellent second series but the Elektra stuff bogs it down a bit in my opinion. The Punisher heavy episodes are the best ones. As others and i have said before Jon Bernthal is amazing.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th March 2016 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 482839)
Finale of The Night Manager last. Cracking bit of tv with some great casting, Tom Hiddleston and particularly Hugh Laurie were excellent.

Agreed. It's been a terrific series. One i'll definitely pick up in a few months as it will be one for repeat viewings.

I'm sure the scene where Angela finally catches up with Roper and asks him if he's 'discombobulated' was a nod to the Blackadder Ink and Incapability episode.

Also when Roper mentions Corky and frisky and Freddie i can't help think of Lieutenant George and his reminiscing about signing up for the war in the episode Goodbyeee

Quote:

Edmund: Yes, and how are all the boys now?

George: Well, er, Jacko and the Badger bought it at the first Ypres front,
unfortunately -- quite a shock, that. I remember Bumfluff's house-
master wrote and told me that Sticky had been out for a duck, and the
Gubber had snitched a parcel sausage-end and gone goose-over-stump
frogside.

Edmund: Meaning...?

George: I don't know, sir, but I read in the Times that they'd both been
killed.

Edmund: And Bumfluff himself...?

George: Copped a packet at Galipoli with the Aussies -- so had Drippy and
Strangely Brown. I remember we heard on the first morning of the
Somme when Titch and Mr Floppy got gassed back to Blighty.

AberZombi&Flesh 28th March 2016 05:42 PM

Does TWD get better past season 1? I couldn't stay interested, and found other stuff to do when it was on.

J Harker 28th March 2016 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AberZombi&Flesh (Post 482899)
Does TWD get better past season 1? I couldn't stay interested, and found other stuff to do when it was on.

Better??? I like it and continue to watch it, but in my opinion the odd episode aside its never really got back to the heights of season 1.

MuckyFunster 28th March 2016 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone seen this? Is series 1 worth £2?

Attachment 177158

trebor8273 28th March 2016 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuckyFunster (Post 482918)
Has anyone seen this? Is series 1 worth £2?

Attachment 177158

I would say yes, got both seasons from cex for around £2 each and enjoyed it.

tele1962 28th March 2016 10:22 PM

Maigret.

Thought it was superb. Locations, Photography just all worked and Rowan Atkinson was great as Maigret.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th March 2016 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 482955)
Maigret.

Thought it was superb. Locations, Photography just all worked and Rowan Atkinson was great as Maigret.

Thought i'd wait and pick it up on dvd. Ditch the ads that way.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 29th March 2016 09:14 AM

After (thankfully) finishing a very ropey third season of Into the Labyrinth, I've now started on this:

http://dv1.us/p1/807/068807-d0.jpg

I've only watched the season opener Lady Killer so far, but it was an extremely enjoyable and gripping little tale.

J Harker 29th March 2016 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 482984)
After (thankfully) finishing a very ropey third season of Into the Labyrinth, I've now started on this:

I've only watched the season opener Lady Killer so far, but it was an extremely enjoyable and gripping little tale.

I'm planning to get that in the next network sale. I'd be interested to know your thoughts B-eye. On the show of course, not in general.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th March 2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 482984)

A brilliant series. I can't really think of a poor episode. I've watched it twice. Love the eerie opening music.

Demoncrat 29th March 2016 03:14 PM

Still Banshee-ing. Lawdy!!

Also ripping through Rick & Morty, a very unevenly toned programme about a scientist and his grandson.

trebor8273 29th March 2016 08:52 PM

Been watching these shows

Damien
Supergirl
Bates motel season 4
Gotham season two which has introduced pee wee Herman as penguins father, it's a little spooky how similar they look

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th March 2016 09:02 PM

Have you watched any more episodes of Thriller, B_E?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 29th March 2016 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483075)
Have you watched any more episodes of Thriller, B_E?

I'll be watching another tonight all being well - I generally leave the TV show viewing until I'm in bed.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th March 2016 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 483076)
I'll be watching another tonight all being well - I generally leave the TV show viewing until I'm in bed.

If it's the second episode you're on it's a cracker i think. Stars John Carson (Plague of the Zombies) in an episode called Possession.

trebor8273 30th March 2016 06:24 PM

watched the first two episodes of the night manager fantastic stuff

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 30th March 2016 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483077)
If it's the second episode you're on it's a cracker i think. Stars John Carson (Plague of the Zombies) in an episode called Possession.

You were right - a really great episode! :nod:

J Harker 30th March 2016 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 483226)
watched the first two episodes of the night manager fantastic stuff

It is isn't it treb. Hugh Laurie is excellent.

trebor8273 30th March 2016 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 483230)
It is isn't it treb. Hugh Laurie is excellent.

always liked laurie especially in House and Hiddleston is always worth a watch

J Harker 30th March 2016 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 483239)
always liked laurie especially in House and Hiddleston is always worth a watch

House was absolutely brilliant. Really miss that show.

iank 1st April 2016 09:39 PM

The X Files: XCOPS. Season 7 is a pretty mediocre season - indeed, I've skipped many on this rewatch - but this is the best episode of the season and a genuine bona fide all time classic. A COPS crew filming uniformed police in New York stumble into the middle of a Mulder and Scully investigation, with predictably chaotic results. Presented as an episode of COPS, this is ambitious, exhilarating, scary and hilarious. I adore this bat**** crazy episode.:turtle:

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th April 2016 09:51 PM

And Then There Were None. (2015)

An excellent first episode. Set up really nicely with everyone a suspect in this dark, brooding take on the Agatha Christie classic. A fine cast including Charles Dance, Sam Neill, Toby Stephens and Aiden Turner are on top of their game and a pounding sinister score keeps you on edge in this delightful piece of Gothic.

I'll watch the final two episodes tomorrow night. Seemingly another classic from the BBC. Highly recommended.

J Harker 8th April 2016 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 484741)

An excellent first episode. Set up really nicely with everyone a suspect in this dark, brooding take on the Agatha Christie classic. A fine cast including Charles Dance, Sam Neill, Toby Stephens and Aiden Turner are on top of their game and a pounding sinister score keeps you on edge in this delightful piece of Gothic.

I'll watch the final two episodes tomorrow night. Seemingly another classic from the BBC. Highly recommended.

Make sure you watch parts 2 and 3 together Dem.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th April 2016 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 484741)

That's on my 'to watch' list – I'm glad it comes highly recommended.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th April 2016 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 484742)
Make sure you watch parts 2 and 3 together Dem.

Yes i plan to do. Thought maybe Sunday beforehand but tomorrow night now seems likely.

I presume you enjoyed it, J?

J Harker 8th April 2016 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 484747)
Yes i plan to do. Thought maybe Sunday beforehand but tomorrow night now seems likely.

I presume you enjoyed it, J?

Yes but wish we'd watched it all in one go.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th April 2016 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 484748)
Yes but wish we'd watched it all in one go.

How did you watch it? On it's original BBC airing?