Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   What TV Have You Seen? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/7170-what-tv-have-you-seen.html)

Nordicdusk 17th November 2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 615257)
The Stand

M-O-O-N that spells “bloody long-winded.” I’ve watched 3 out of the 4 episodes so far and it’s so long, but nothing happens. It’s also overly sentimental, like do we need to hear the whole national anthem sung in full with close-ups of the teary eyed congregation?

I’m going to watch the final episode because if you’ve invested four and half hours out of six you may as well see it through. I doubt I’ll be watching it again though, it’ll be in CEX next week :)

The Americas with Simon Reeve

Travelogue with a twist. I love watching the Simon Reeve programmes, he goes to the well travelled places but shows you the bits you wouldn’t normally see. In the first episode you were given indigenous people being kidnapped and murdered, the second episode you got cowboys in Montana and legal cannabis shopping in Colorado, and the last episode I’ve watched people living inside a freeway bridge in LA due to the housing shortage and the high cost of rents. He hasn’t even got into Central or South America yet!

I found The Stand terrible i watched it on Sky One years ago when i was a kid and recently on SYFY or Horror channel cant remember but it was hard to watch and that end holy shit that ending :lol:

I just finished Simon Reeves trip through the Americas last night fantastic show really eye opening.

Demoncrat 17th November 2019 04:31 PM

Ach, The Stand always gave me a chuckle, it's so po-faced etc :pound:

Loving AVED III btw. Last episode here we come!!! :pop2:

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th November 2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 615590)

Loving AVED III btw. Last episode here we come!!! :pop2:

I watched them on dvd earlier this year one after the other. The first series was excellent but i thought the second and third became rather samey. Perhaps if i'd watched them months apart i'd have felt different.

Justin101 17th November 2019 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 615578)
I found The Stand terrible i watched it on Sky One years ago when i was a kid and recently on SYFY or Horror channel cant remember but it was hard to watch and that end holy shit that ending :lol:

I just finished Simon Reeves trip through the Americas last night fantastic show really eye opening.

Simon Reeve is much better than The Stand. Watched the episode in Mexico this afternoon and it made me cry a bit when the Border Patrol was bringing bottles of water for the child immigrants.

Nordicdusk 17th November 2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 615599)
Simon Reeve is much better than The Stand. Watched the episode in Mexico this afternoon and it made me cry a bit when the Border Patrol was bringing bottles of water for the child immigrants.

Some heart wrenching stuff alright it gets worse on the next leg of his trip.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th November 2019 09:34 PM

The first episode of War of the Worlds wasn't bad at all. Look forward to seeing the rest of it.

Great to see the story set in Victorian times which is a first.

gag 18th November 2019 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 615608)
The first episode of War of the Worlds wasn't bad at all. Look forward to seeing the rest of it.

I actually found it dull, boring and lack off appeal.
To extent not sure if I'm bothered about watching the rest .

Justin101 18th November 2019 09:56 AM

Oh, was that on last night? I wish I'd paid attention I could have watched that instead of browsing YouTube for 2 hours :lol:

Nordicdusk 18th November 2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 615608)

I enjoyed it they set it up nicely just enough to keep you interested. I really like the setting too something fresh makes the whole thing a lot more frightening for the people seeing something like that when there is no technology to compare it too if you know what i mean.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th November 2019 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 615632)
I enjoyed it they set it up nicely just enough to keep you interested. I really like the setting too something fresh makes the whole thing a lot more frightening for the people seeing something like that when there is no technology to compare it too if you know what i mean.

It's the first time the setting of Victorian England has been used which is how it was written in the book, it's also factually correct to the book in that the aliens attack using heat bursts rather than death rays or lasers.