Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   What TV Have You Seen? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/7170-what-tv-have-you-seen.html)

Slippery Jack 25th June 2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 349109)
The League of Gentlemen
find it criminal how Little Britain ripped it off and diluted it in the process.

That's pretty much true, though Matt and David had worked with the Gents in the past, and Mark Gatiss worked as Script Editor on it. I'm looking forward to Reece and Steve's new series, though I wish the four of them would get back together again . . .

trebor8273 25th June 2013 11:12 AM

Watching the sopranos. In respect of James Gandolfini. An a amazing show and a fantastic actor.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th June 2013 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished watching in weekly installments, the 26 episode run of Enemy at the Door.

The excellent drama which ran from 1978-80 about the German occupation of Guernsey. One or two episodes were a bit soapy, but on the whole the series dealt with serious issues - escapes, rape, murder, propaganda, for example. The shoe boasted some fine performances especially character actor Bernard Horsfall as Dr. Phillip Martel, the islanders go to guy. For me though it was the German officers who stole the show. Alfred Burke as Major Richter, the head of the occupying forces who displayed a certain kindness to the islanders and their plight. Alas for Richter, always waiting to pounce was Simon Cadell playing Hauptsturmfuhrer Reinicke, a sneering, visciously slimy SS officer. These two were ably backed up by John Malcolm and Simon Lack as other high ranking German officers.

The only major downfall for me was the fact the series finished with the death of one of the main characters rather than the defeat of the occupying German forces. It felt as if the writers were expecting a third series which wasn't granted by ITV.

If you are a fan of the brilliant Secret Army then i highly recommend Enemy at the Door.

Rik 25th June 2013 03:48 PM

Just finished watching the Pilot episode of the Stephen King drama Under The Dome which premiered in the US last night. Must say I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for next weeks episode.
Few changes from the book, as to be expected, but overall I can see this filling the gap until The Walking Dead returns in October, Hannibal was supposed to do that, but I soon lost interest after about the 5th episode

Zann 25th June 2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 349118)
That's pretty much true, though Matt and David had worked with the Gents in the past, and Mark Gatiss worked as Script Editor on it. I'm looking forward to Reece and Steve's new series, though I wish the four of them would get back together again . . .

Go Johnny go go go go! That's where you get your handle right? :) I didn't know any of that about LB, I've never liked it or the nauseating catchphrases it spawned.

Slippery Jack 25th June 2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 349202)
Go Johnny go go go go! That's where you get your handle right? :) I didn't know any of that about LB, I've never liked it or the nauseating catchphrases it spawned.

"Y' don't know Slippery Jack, Doc?" :nod:

Nah I got tired of LB halfway through the first series... I was a fan of their Rock Profile before that though.

I took a detour to Hadfield during my last job oop narth. Apart from the war memorial, there wasn't much to see really, still pretty cool though . . .

Slippery Jack 25th June 2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 348280)
Al Pacino hawking Sky Broadband. As if the day hadn't gotten off to a bad enough start with the news of James Gandolfini's passing,

Agreed on that one. Just seen it. He's no Kevin Bacon, that's for sure :lol:

Why would you hire Pacino and not have him DOING A LOAD OF SHOUTING ?

Zann 25th June 2013 07:27 PM

I maintain my original sound line on this issue:tongue1:

I'll need to stop by Hadfield next time I'm in the Peak District.

demonknight 27th June 2013 11:06 AM

Hannibal episode eight. A good one, as they say.

keirarts 27th June 2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 349243)
Agreed on that one. Just seen it. He's no Kevin Bacon, that's for sure :lol:

Why would you hire Pacino and not have him DOING A LOAD OF SHOUTING ?

Surely it would be better to get Rob Brydon doing Al PACINO to sell sky?

Rob Brydon - Al Pacino Impression - YouTube

Demoncrat 29th June 2013 10:21 AM

Wasn't sure where to put this, so.....I see that Film 4 is showing A Field In England. Yes, the new Ben Wheatley one. Only got me RT yesterday, so was having a cursory look, and came across this. It's a one time showing ( at the moment).

Slippery Jack 29th June 2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 349858)
Wasn't sure where to put this, so.....I see that Film 4 is showing A Field In England. Yes, the new Ben Wheatley one. Only got me RT yesterday, so was having a cursory look, and came across this. It's a one time showing ( at the moment).

You must've missed the mini marketing blitz then ;)

It's a first time experiment - it's getting a cinema, tv, BD and DVD release all on the same day. Seems an odd tactic to me, but at least it means I'll get a new Ben Wheatley film on Blu, chock full of extras, that much sooner :cool: . . .

Demoncrat 29th June 2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 349859)

It's a first time experiment - it's getting a cinema, tv, BD and DVD release all on the same day. Seems an odd tactic to me, but at least it means I'll get a new Ben Wheatley film on Blu, chock full of extras, that much sooner :cool: . . .

Don't have Film4. My freeview box is a hand cranked model from Victrola :laugh:

Slippery Jack 29th June 2013 10:30 AM

...btw, I say this is being touted as a one-of-a-kind experiment, but didn't that Brit horror Mum and Dad do the same thing a few years back . . . ?

Demoncrat 29th June 2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 349861)
...btw, I say this is being touted as a one-of-a-kind experiment, but didn't that Brit horror Mum and Dad do the same thing a few years back . . . ?

Yes. On Boxing Day as well. How festive. :rolleyes:

pedromonkey 30th June 2013 02:57 PM

So TV viewings have been....

FALLING SKIES Season 1,2 and the first 4 episodes of season 3, really great alien invasion/post apocalypse show.

BREAKING BAD season 1 and first 3 episodes of season 2, great show.

ORPHAN BLACK, BBC America Show about cloning. Cracking bit of Sci-FI.

HEMLOCK GROVE, bit crap in all honesty, kinda stopped watching around 5 episodes in.

UNDER THE DOME - PILOT, thoroughly enjoyed this King adaptation, roll on episode 2.

Rik 30th June 2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 350025)

UNDER THE DOME - PILOT, thoroughly enjoyed this King adaptation, roll on episode 2.

Me too :nod:

Hawkmonger 30th June 2013 08:34 PM

Thinking of starting to watch Kolchak. Keep hearing nothing but good stuff about it.

Rik 30th June 2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 350074)
Thinking of starting to watch Kolchak. Keep hearing nothing but good stuff about it.

You won't be disappointed, especially if you've ever seen an episode of the X Files.
As you can see from my sig, I'm a big fan!

trebor8273 30th June 2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 350030)
Me too :nod:

And me, I just hope it's is not one of these shows that gets canceled, really should of been a showtime show and not CBS which just increases the chances of it being canceled than if it stayed a cable show. Major networks have the awful habit of cancelling great shows!

pedromonkey 30th June 2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 350074)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 350075)
You won't be disappointed, especially if you've ever seen an episode of the X Files.
As you can see from my sig, I'm a big fan!

Just ordered the complete Nightstalker collection for a 12.00 as i've never seen it....
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51y7hp3ArTL.jpg

Rik 30th June 2013 09:36 PM

That's the one I have :nod:
There's talk of the legend that is Johnny Depp playing him in a remake!

Johnny Depp Is "Kolchak: The Night Stalker"

PaulD 30th June 2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 349859)

When's this?

Slippery Jack 30th June 2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 350088)
When's this?

:woot: THIS VERY FRIDAY :woot:

keirarts 30th June 2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 350086)
Just ordered the complete Nightstalker collection for a 12.00 as i've never seen it....
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51y7hp3ArTL.jpg

Try and get hold of the TV movies as well. Their a bit dear at the minuite but the origional Kolchack the night stalker is one of my favourite vampire films.

Rik 30th June 2013 10:19 PM

Yeah, they're great too, written by the late Richard Matheson

keirarts 30th June 2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 350097)
Yeah, they're great too, written by the late Richard Matheson

Yeah, Tim Lucas is doing a commentary track for something Richard Matheson wrote. He couldent say what but heres hoping its either Night stalker or my other favourite matheson script Comedy of Terrors. Seeing as MGM stuff is getting steadily released to blu-ray it could be either.

pedromonkey 1st July 2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 350094)
Try and get hold of the TV movies as well. Their a bit dear at the minuite but the origional Kolchack the night stalker is one of my favourite vampire films.

Currently selling for £249 on Amazon brand new or £39.99 pre-owned.

Hawkmonger 1st July 2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 350107)
Currently selling for £249 on Amazon brand new or £39.99 pre-owned.

Nailed it!:pound:

Rik 2nd July 2013 03:20 PM

I've just this minute finished watching episode 2 of Under The Dome, another fantastic episode, I love the way they've changed some elements from the novel, much like The Walking Dead is different to the comics. Highly recommended for SK fans, even if you haven't read the novel, which I also highly recommend!

demonknight 2nd July 2013 06:28 PM

Download 2013 Highlights :rockon:

Slippery Jack 2nd July 2013 06:34 PM

I'm not sharing my 2013 download highlights ;) . . .

pedromonkey 6th July 2013 03:21 PM

watched the first 4 episodes of Kolchak: The Night Stalker, it's awesome stuff, Darren McGavin is so good as Carl Kolchak and i't's written, well 8 of the episodes are written by David Chase, creator of The Sopranos.

Demoncrat 8th July 2013 11:49 AM

Count Arthur Strong finally comes to TV tonight, BBC2 20.30 GMT. Hope it lives up to the many great moments from the radio series'. Barry Cryer's in the first episode, so there's a fair chance they will get monumentally pissed, like they always do :laugh:

klownz 8th July 2013 12:32 PM

I have just finished catching up on a show called "Falling Skies" its not exactly great but it is entertaining and gets better as it goes along, really glad I decided to keep watching it & can't wait to see what happens next!

trebor8273 8th July 2013 12:37 PM

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace amazing for something that was a blind buy and only 1.50 not laughed so hard in a long time. Also watched first two episodes of boardwalk empire, which I've heard good things about. Really enjoying this fantastic show, but with it being HBO did I expect it to be anything else.

Beyond72 8th July 2013 04:12 PM

The Returned

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 346085)
Yes I'll be checking that out too. Probably best not to label it a 'Zombie Series' though :lol: From what I've read, it's more of a serious human drama about the dead being reunited with their families, appearing as if they had never died, and what kind of impact that would have. .

I've been sticking with it. (Even put off watching the walking dead until Tuesday.) I really like the idea behind it, which feels like a macabre plot from a 70's film to me. For some reason.

Slippery Jack 8th July 2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 351546)
The Returned
I've been sticking with it.

I never started :doh: Wish I had, looks great. Probably missed my chance now, I never manage to get through tv dvd boxsets :shocked: . . .

klownz 8th July 2013 04:18 PM

I have been holding back on "the returned" since I still haven't checked out "They Came Back"

Beyond72 8th July 2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 351547)
I never started :doh: Wish I had, looks great. Probably missed my chance now, I never manage to get through tv dvd boxsets :shocked: . . .

Yea not sure it would work that well back to back, as it's deliberately paced for a weekly TV show, drip feeding elements to keep you watching.
Comes up with some interesting situations though, like how people react to a loved one who chose to committee suicide in the first place.