Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th January 2017, 09:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched first episode of House as brilliant as i remember, this is of course down to Hugh Laurie's fantastic performance as House. You would be forgiven if you had not seen Blackadder or Jeeves and Wooster in thinking that he was an American with how good is accent is. A fantastic twist on the usual medical shows.

Also noticed that one of Houses trainee monkeys is the actress who plays Emma Swann is once upon a time.
Old 30th January 2017, 09:29 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Watched first episode of House as brilliant as i remember, this is of course down to Hugh Laurie's fantastic performance as House. You would be forgiven if you had not seen Blackadder or Jeeves and Wooster in thinking that he was an American with how good is accent is. A fantastic twist on the usual medical shows.

Also noticed that one of Houses trainee monkeys is the actress who plays Emma Swann is once upon a time.
House is still one of my favourite shows and favourite tv/movie characters ever. Absolute brilliance with barely a duff episode.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 30th January 2017, 09:42 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

That's a coincidence – I've just started watching the fifth season of House MD.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 30th January 2017, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That's a coincidence – I've just started watching the fifth season of House MD.
And i watched the fifth episode of Jeeves and Wooster series 3 this evening.
Old 5th February 2017, 08:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching season one of charmed, just started Taken which I've not seen before.
Old 5th February 2017, 10:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Bloodline - Absorbing, quality stuff. I can't recall a better acted TV show. It's a bit of a slow burn but before you know it its seeped into your conciseness.

Six Feet Under Season Five - Must Not Cry. Must Not Cry. Must Not Cry.

Santa Clarita Diet - Why the hell is Timothy Olyphant wasting his considerable talents in this ? It's just terrible and trying way too hard. Olyphant is good, but Christ, I feel for him with this script.
Old 8th February 2017, 10:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Over the last few nights i've watched Mystery and Imagination.

Or at least the 8 episodes that still survive of the 24 originally made.

It's a series of tele-plays based on classic Gothic works from the likes of Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley, MR James, Poe and Algernon Blackwood. Wilst there's nothing wrong with the stories nor the performances i did feel episodes like Dracula were hampered by tv constraints meaning they lacked the sheer scale that any movie versions gave us and were on the whole rather talky affairs and more stagy than they should have been.

The best of the lot was Robert Louis Stevenson's The Suicide Club which felt suited to the medium of tv as it centres around the goings on in a wealthy establishment, albeit one of decadence and Gothic excess. I should add that The Fall of the House of Usher was also very faithful and again due to it being set in an old house worked better than most. It was also terrifically atmospheric and i felt perhaps even worked better than the Corman film version.

I'm pleased to own this splendid looking dvd set from Network with it's highly informative booklet, as it's tv the likes of which we'll never see again, how many more times i go back for more...well that's up for debate, yet i do recommend this series as i get the feeling it may well be a case of better the devil you know for subsequent viewings.

Bernard Archard in The Suicide Club.
Old 8th February 2017, 10:38 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Over the last few nights i've watched Mystery and Imagination.

Or at least the 8 episodes that still survive of the 24 originally made.

It's a series of tele-plays based on classic Gothic works from the likes of Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley, MR James, Poe and Algernon Blackwood. Wilst there's nothing wrong with the stories nor the performances i did feel episodes like Dracula were hampered by tv constraints meaning they lacked the sheer scale that any movie versions gave us and were on the whole rather talky affairs and more stagy than they should have been.

The best of the lot was Robert Louis Stevenson's The Suicide Club which felt suited to the medium of tv as it centres around the goings on in a wealthy establishment, albeit one of decadence and Gothic excess. I should add that The Fall of the House of Usher was also very faithful and again due to it being set in an old house worked better than most. It was also terrifically atmospheric and i felt perhaps even worked better than the Corman film version.

I'm pleased to own this splendid looking dvd set from Network with it's highly informative booklet, as it's tv the likes of which we'll never see again, how many more times i go back for more...well that's up for debate, yet i do recommend this series as i get the feeling it may well be a case of better the devil you know for subsequent viewings.

Bernard Archard in The Suicide Club.
What did you make of Frankenstein Dem? That's the only one I've managed to watched so far.
Old 8th February 2017, 10:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
What did you make of Frankenstein Dem? That's the only one I've managed to watched so far.
A good performance from Ian Holm in his dual role but i felt that one was held back by it's studio bound setting. Not as bad as Dracula though. It was fairly faithful to Shelley's story but i think Frankenstein is a vast sweeping tale and this version just felt small.

What did you think, J?
Old 8th February 2017, 10:50 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A good performance from Ian Holm in his dual role but i felt that one was held back by it's studio bound setting. Not as bad as Dracula though. It was fairly faithful to Shelley's story but i think Frankenstein is a vast sweeping tale and this version just felt small.

What did you think, J?
You pretty much summed up my thoughts Dem. Given its the only one I've watched so far I wondered how you felt it compared to the rest. It did feel very stoic, I may be wrong but I thought I'd knocked up some sort of review of it a few months back. While Ian Holm was good as the creature (think Alien) I'm not convinced the dual role was the right way to go.

Like this? Share it using the links below!