Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2017, 11:38 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Agreed. More often than not I even skip over the first season and go straight to the second whenever I revisit my box set.
But, but, but, the first series has two of the finest episodes of comedy ever - The Archbishop and The Queen of Spain's Beard.
Old 27th January 2017, 11:45 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Agreed. More often than not I even skip over the first season and go straight to the second whenever I revisit my box set. It's definitely one of my favourite comedy shows though overall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
My order of preference is series 2, then 4, then 3, and then 1.
The second is probably my favourite as well but I couldn't choose between three and four. The fourth series properly has the best dynamics amongst the ensemble cast and the writing is arguably sharper in the third series than any other. However, it is Miranda Richardson's 'Queenie' which makes the second series a favourite.

Every series ends with death, but none of them come close to the emotional impact of the fourth series simply because of the empathic bond you have with the characters and it really happened, millions of times. For a comedy series, the ending of the final episode is absolutely gutwrenching.
Old 27th January 2017, 11:47 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
But, but, but, the first series has two of the finest episodes of comedy ever - The Archbishop and The Queen of Spain's Beard.
It was only watching them this time that I noticed the name of Edmund's bride in The Queen of Spain's Beard: Princess Leia!
Old 27th January 2017, 12:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
For a comedy series, the ending of the final episode is absolutely gutwrenching.
Completely.

It was the first thing i watched when i got back from visiting the battlefields of Ypres and Flanders.

I lasted all of two seconds as they went over the top before flooding with tears.

I cry every time at that final episode which i think is one of the finest pieces of television ever...very funny, but hell, what an emotional impact it has.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 27th January 2017, 12:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

My favourite series is the third. I used to watch every series constantly in bed as a teen until i knew them all off by heart. I still use some of the words in the games of dictionary oneupmanship between Edmund and Dr. Johnson.
Old 27th January 2017, 12:15 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Completely.

It was the first thing i watched when i got back from visiting the battlefields of Ypres and Flanders.

I lasted all of two seconds as they went over the top before flooding with tears.

I cry every time at that final episode which i think is one of the finest pieces of television ever...very funny, but hell, what an emotional impact it has.
I can't remember this, but my parents recorded the series when it was on TV and, thinking it was okay for my brother and I to watch (we would have been in primary school at the time), sat with us while we watched it the following day. Apparently at the end of the last episode, I turned around and said something along the lines of "It's not fair – they all died". This would seem like a good example of 'out of the mouths of babes' because I saw the futility of trench warfare when commanders such as Field Marshal Haig didn't.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 27th January 2017, 12:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I saw the futility of trench warfare when commanders such as Field Marshal Haig didn't.
At least he got to move his drinks cabinet 5 foot closer to Berlin.
Old 27th January 2017, 12:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I can't remember this, but my parents recorded the series when it was on TV and, thinking it was okay for my brother and I to watch (we would have been in primary school at the time), sat with us while we watched it the following day. Apparently at the end of the last episode, I turned around and said something along the lines of "It's not fair – they all died". This would seem like a good example of 'out of the mouths of babes' because I saw the futility of trench warfare when commanders such as Field Marshal Haig didn't.
Well, being in the North East you were a lot nearer to Belgian front line than Haig was.
Old 28th January 2017, 09:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

The A Team season 1 episode The Out of Towners the other day. Great fun with Yaphet Kotto as the main baddie. Was surprised by how good the DVDs actually look upscaled on my Blu ray player. Really clear, really good (a complete contrast to the old Brett Holmes and even early X Files and Buffy DVDs, which are pretty bad. Glad I got the Holmes Blu rays and thinking of getting seasons 1-4 X Files but there seems no need to consider upgrading A Team if they look this good. Thank God!)
Think I'm going to go back to watching one a fortnight like I did when the DVDs were first released.
Old 29th January 2017, 09:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching season one of once upon a time, which is a nice easy show which I can switch my mind off for 40 minutes.

Finished season one of Roswell which I enjoyed and looking forword to the next season, decided for some more Fox teen angst in the form of the third season of Buffy. Will also probably start season one of charmed tomorrow .

Like this? Share it using the links below!