Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th June 2011, 06:59 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Great choice for a classic double bill!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 9th June 2011, 07:16 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
Thought it was way better than Machete!
As much as I liked Machete, Hobo With A Shotgun blows it out of the water. Gory, over the top, a great performance from Hauer and nice to see Brian Downey from Lexx, as the villain. The poster, by Tom Hodge, aka the dude designs is very cool as well.
Sam@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 9th June 2011, 10:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default lexx

best film of the year so far, trash is back !, Rutger was in an episode of lexx so i wonder if that impacted downey getting a role in this film. Seems like lexx stars popping up more what with dieter laser aka mantrid, starring in human centipede.
Old 9th June 2011, 11:17 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
im sorry but i know we're supposed to promote this but its absolute trash, and not the good kind, It's badly made, badly acted except for Hauer and the use of colour is off putting. i hated the film sorry...
I really liked it but I do understand what you mean in regards the colour. It's wildly oversaturated.
Old 9th June 2011, 11:29 PM
Ex-member

I'm another who hated this when it was shown @ Glasgow Frightfest (though the majority of the audience loved it) for me it was the low point of the whole weekend I found it loud, brash, juvenile & garish it just gave me a headache & the ending could not have come sooner...I understand what it was trying to do & what it was emulating but for me that was it's main problem...I've never been a fan of Troma type films for the same reasons...
Old 10th June 2011, 09:12 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Hobo With a Shotgun as "best film of the year" Brilliant! i haven't read anything that funny for a few days.
...Bit of an overblown statement, in my view, but I thoroughtly enjoyed it and how it cleverly references 70s/80s exploitation movies. Hobo does it so much better than the recently released (on BD and DVD) Machete, as Stephen previously posted. Machete is ok, but it feels too long and it's political message is handled badly. Hobo just goes for it! the pacing is spot on.
So, ok, I don't agree with the "Best movie" description but I do agree that it's a entertaining film that needs to be seen by genre fans.

The "Best film of the year" so far, is Stake Land. I've said it therefore it must be fact
Old 14th June 2011, 02:58 PM
Blogs Moderator

A quick update on recent content on the official site

Check out the director's short film "TREEVENGE"

Read about key influences in our post about Street Trash

Watch an interview with director Jason Eisener

Watch a music video from Hip-Hop artist Ills The General featuring footage from the movie

Read our introduction to the site "Welcome to Hobo country"

More posts daily, watch out for another influences post in our look at the nihilistic youth gone wild movie Class of 1984

Go Now: HOBO HUB
Old 17th June 2011, 07:30 PM
Cult Rookie

Default I'm gonna sleep in your bloody carcasses tonight!

Caught Hobo at the Bradford film fest after months of anticipation. It lived up to it all. Bloody, balls-to-the-wall, goretastic hilarity. Couldn't put a foot wrong. And what's more, the ladies enjoyed it too. You know why, because it's got a heart, a big old slightly-alzheimer's heart embodied by Rutger Hauer's bear loving, lawn-mowing hobo. And what a performance! Pushed all of my buttons. . . even the pleasure button.

PS: such cool news about the Prince Charles screening Sam. BOo YeAH!
Old 17th June 2011, 10:25 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Cinema Surgery @skankenstoned

hey, where you doing this film night? in bournemouth?
Old 18th June 2011, 12:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

HWAS certainly looks enjoyable with nice use of colour and some good visuals. I've not long pre-ordered Magnet's U.S. double-disc DVD set and if the rest of the film is as entertaining as the trailer i'll buy the BR release too.

Sorta like Falling Down for the homeless with Rutger Hauer as mad as Hell and he's not gonna take it anymore! God, how i love these 'common-man-pushed-over-the-edge' movies!

I think it'd be great to see a Britain-based version of HWAS and watch some veteran English thespian as another down-and-out badass trawling the streets dishing out vigilante justice to all the scum we have to suffer here.

Like this? Share it using the links below!