Like Tree244Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th July 2016, 04:26 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
Very impressive, H.
Thanks. Try telling that to my wife. She would love to see them taken to the dump. Who would of VHS could be a possible marriage breaker. Lol!
Old 11th January 2017, 08:32 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Yes. The covers were to a degree better than the DVD and Blu Ray covers. There's two Warner's that I would personally consider two of the rarest out there. Arsenic and Old Lace and a Nic Roeg film called Eureka. Both are probably the rarest of the rare. And both titles were released in the UK on rental big box. Eureka had a limited rental release for some unkown reason by WHV. Arsenic was released on Hollywood Gold, which was a series of titles from the classic era of Warner films from the late 1930's and 40's, Like Maltese Falcon, Watch on the Rhine, Now, Voyager, Dark Victory, Angels With Dirty Faces, Casablanca etc...

I've included some photos of my Warner Home Video collection. There's some extremely rare titles in there. Both pre and post-cert. It's taken a good 25 yrs to develop this collection, and trackdown some of the more rarer titles.
THAT is one hot ****ing collection Hive!

I yearn for my VHS shelf days......
hivemind likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 11th January 2017, 10:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
THAT is one hot ****ing collection Hive!

I yearn for my VHS shelf days......
Thanks for the complement. I've tried to stick with about four VHS labels. Though I have diverted from Warner to VTC, Intervision, CIC and Medusa. With the prices on post-certs going up on ebay in the last two years I've moved away from Post-Cert's.

When I joined ebay in 2008 you could get a rather nice Evil Dead on Palace for vertually nothing. Now it goes for £30.00 to even £50 pounds. Even back then I purchased The Exorcist PEVN the first Warner UK VHS rental release with cast card for just 10.00 pounds. Now it gets 30 - 50 pounds if the tape includes cast card and is in decent condition.

I've also got two Friday 13th's on Warner. Both the first release (WEV) and second release (PEV). I've often considered giving up VHS collecting and selling the lot, but I know deep down that I will come to regret it 5 or 10 yrs down the road. I would rather bear the wrath of me wife, than consider selling the lot. Glad you like the photos.
mr 420 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 3rd May 2017, 05:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, brought back some movies I forgot were made and remembering watching them.
Old 3rd May 2017, 05:34 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
And as Warner Bros. would say.....

That's all folks!!!

What lablel would you like to see next?

Vipco?
Guild?
Thorn Emi?
All of the above, please.

Last edited by mr 420; 3rd May 2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 3rd May 2017, 05:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Yes. The covers were to a degree better than the DVD and Blu Ray covers. There's two Warner's that I would personally consider two of the rarest out there. Arsenic and Old Lace and a Nic Roeg film called Eureka. Both are probably the rarest of the rare. And both titles were released in the UK on rental big box. Eureka had a limited rental release for some unkown reason by WHV. Arsenic was released on Hollywood Gold, which was a series of titles from the classic era of Warner films from the late 1930's and 40's, Like Maltese Falcon, Watch on the Rhine, Now, Voyager, Dark Victory, Angels With Dirty Faces, Casablanca etc...

I've included some photos of my Warner Home Video collection. There's some extremely rare titles in there. Both pre and post-cert. It's taken a good 25 yrs to develop this collection, and trackdown some of the more rarer titles.
That's a lot now. Kudos!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd May 2017, 05:59 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
I would say that Galaxy of Terror is probably my favourite Warner cover. Classic artwork.
I sent one of the younger guys who hung around with us in to the shop to pinch that cover!
He got pinched instead!
mr 420 and Demoncrat like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 6th May 2017, 12:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
That's a lot now. Kudos!!

Cheers! I started collecting Warner's waaaay back in 1985. Often video rental shops would often sell off tapes after a year or so. You would either find the tapes were knackered or the sleeves were faded. Some were still fine tape wise, but it paid to go from video shop to video shop. I lived in Surrey back then, so their was plenty of video shops to explore. Just wished that I could ultimately travel back with a TARDIS to be honest. The stuff that I saw then, that's now worth a fortune. Currently I have about 420 Medusa titles, which are mixed pre and post-cert video's. Though I'm on the hunt for CIC video's from the post cert era, namely a few titles that were TV Movie's back in 1970's that Universal made. There's a cracking thriller called The Longest Night that would be a MUST buy. One was on ebay just recently, but it went for 25.00 pounds, and I missed the bid, bloody typical. There's still a buzz for collecting, but I try and stay focused on certain labels like I said.
mr 420 and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!