Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2008, 08:23 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Still shocking enough without the animal cruelty,way ott,this is what makes me want to wash my eyes out after watching it,...and I'm no prude....
Old 13th April 2008, 08:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The animal cruelty/killings in Ferox/Holocaust haven't got a hope in hell of ever passing the BBFC. They cut in accordance with the animals act which prohibits the cruel infliction of pain or terror on an animal. The scenes of animal killings in Ferox certainly looked very cruel to me, and like it or not, that is going to be the BBFC's view as well. Animals being cruelly killed for the purpose of making a film. Perhaps that is a way of life for the natives but Ferox is a film not a documentary. So like I said it's going to be the BBFC's view that the animals killed in the film at least were done so for the purpose of creating a work of entertainment, the fact that in at least 2 instances they go on to eat the animals will not make it exempt from cuts. I fail to see how the killings in the film were humane (in which cuts would not be meted out). Looking at the killing of the turtle it has its head chopped of then all its legs...whilst still alive! The killing of the crocodile shows it having its stomach cut open whilst it''s still alive and then ripped open. "The cruel infliction of pain" is clearly what is happening here. The animals act will allow a "swift kill" eg the snake being killed in Friday the 13th. An instant death. But drawn out killings are not going to pass. SLaughterhouse footage has always been exempt from BBFC cuts that's why the scene in Last House on Deadend Street was passed, and in any case the footage used in the film was quite obviously documentary footage.
Old 13th April 2008, 10:13 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The slaughterhouse footage was also left intact in the Redemption VHS of The Cannibal Man (the only cut was a brief shot of a woman's throat being slashed). I couldn't see the BBFC passing the slashing of the cow's throat by Oliver Reed in The Hunting Party though.

Angel, how would Bloody Moon fare now with the BBFC re the snake killing? I don't have the film at hand and although the killing is swift isn't there a long closeup shot of the severed head?
Old 13th April 2008, 11:07 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Any opinions Steve.? If your still enjoying , please join in.

Last bit on Holocaust/Ferox, from me, honest. Some experts claim certain animals can't feel terror or peril , so why dont the BBFC take both sides into consideration .

Man Bites Dog and Salo, both passed uncut while Driller Killer cut.
Why do the BBFC usually pass violent 'arthouse ' films uncut.
MBD,containing graphic chid murder while the killer complains that kids are a nuisance to kill and requests help from film crew to hold the kid down had no problem with Ferman, same with Salo, but Driller Killer, also arthouse style film , but advertised to the working class man/woman banned then refused a cert, then passed with cuts, then finally all cuts waived , years after MBD.
MBD was far more violent than Driller yet as Driller was a 'nasty' it took 3 submittions before all cuts were waived.
Is a films likely class of viewer taken in to consideration when its viewed for classification by the BBFC .?

Again I ask outta curiosity as both Angel and Vince ( its ok to call you Vince ?) have well informed knowledge as well as highly respected opinions on censorship and the BBFC and I am asking in genuine interest and not just having a rant at the BBFC .
To get the views of you both is very interesting and educational for me so thanks for your input.

Its been ages since I saw any version of Bloody Moon Vince, was the snakes head snipped off.? I cant remember.

Hey Reaper, your a MOD now, nice one mate.

Last edited by vipco; 13th April 2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old 14th April 2008, 10:25 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Driller Killer was never cut or banned by the BBFC. It was first submitted in 1999 (after Ferman had retired) in a pre-cut form, minus around 54 secs (length of cuts debatable) of edits to 3 of the murder scenes. When it was submitted a second time in 2002 the cuts were fully waived.

Salo was never passed for general release during Ferman's lifetime. He initially rejected it for cinema and, following a police raid during a showing of the film at a private cinema club, he prepared a special version of the film for club showings only to avoid a potential charge of gross indecency. This version was cut by 6 mins and had a descriptive prologue added to the movie with the accent on the history of De Sade & the town of Salo etc. The full uncut version was finally passed by Duval in 2000.

Man Bites Dog was indeed extremely lucky to get through unscathed, as was Romper Stomper. Ferman was very lenient with these for 1992. He also passed Bad Lieutenant uncut for cinema around the same time, though the video release coincided with the appalling Bulger case and was cut by just under 2 mins.
Old 14th April 2008, 11:30 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Sorry for the misinformation on Driller. I was told by someone at VIPCO in the early 90's that they had planned to submit it but were told the time wasn't right. This was the time when they had just started the CULT CLASSIC's range on VHS.
I was also under the impression that the pre cut , re edited version was submitted after advice from the BBFC on how it stood with the film at that time. (Darkside I think)

Thanks anyway for the correct information . I think i'll keep my mouth shut till I know what im talking about.

Last edited by vipco; 14th April 2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 14th April 2008, 12:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

From what I've heard Vipco did submit Driller Killer in the early 90's but they withdrew the film from the classification process because they didn't agree with the cuts. Since they didn't complete the classification process this submission does not appear on their site. By 1999 they clearly felt that they had to accept some cuts simply to get the film released, obviously they didn't know that the BBFC were about to undergo a significant change shortly after in which the uncut version would pass.

The BBFC wouldn't pass video nasties uncut until 2002 when The Burning finally had its cuts waived.

I think the fact that Man Bites Dog was a subtitled black and white film reduced the chance of any cuts. I can't say I've ever heard the BBFC cutting such a film, at least not in the last 30 years anyway. I remember watching the film when it went out on C4 many years ago. Can't say I was too surprised the film passed uncut but would need to re-watch it.
Old 14th April 2008, 01:42 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Were Vipco & Visual Entertainment one and the same? Apparently they released the 1999 pre-cut Driller Killer.

Yup, of the official DPP 39 the first one to have its cuts fully waived was The Burning - which was a Vipco release. Of the original 74 the cuts to Dead And Buried were waived only a few months after Ferman retired, as were the cinema edits to Shogun Assassin (though the BBFC still fail to mention the uncut status of it).
Old 14th April 2008, 02:49 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

When I was talking to Mike Lee about fim it was 90/91, 92 a latest, and thats when he said about Driller.

Visual released Driller in 99 on DVD but they're nothing to do with VIPCO.
I know that VIPCO have/had the rights to Zombie Flesh Eaters back then , but were amazed, and pissed, when Stonevision released it on DVD as apparently VIPCO's rights didn't cover DVD , thats why the VHS "Extreme" version of ZFE is VIPCO and the DVD version is Stonevisions . Maybe the same thing happened with Driller , as a few VIPCO titles appeared on DVD by other companies around the same time.

Do you know why Zombie Flesh Eaters was only allowed uncut as part of AB's Box of the Banned set yet was cut for individual release.?
Also is the AB version of I Spit On Your Grave cut as it has a longer running time than the cut 'Hardgore' Sp. Ed. and is listed as recieving no cuts when submitted .

Last edited by vipco; 14th April 2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 14th April 2008, 04:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
The slaughterhouse footage was also left intact in the Redemption VHS of The Cannibal Man (the only cut was a brief shot of a woman's throat being slashed). I couldn't see the BBFC passing the slashing of the cow's throat by Oliver Reed in The Hunting Party though.

Angel, how would Bloody Moon fare now with the BBFC re the snake killing? I don't have the film at hand and although the killing is swift isn't there a long closeup shot of the severed head?
Did the slashing of the cow's throat actually take place inside a slaughterhouse? If so, was it a long lingering close up? Not sure why they would cut it. Maitresse had a very lengthy scene showing a horse being slaughtered.

After the snake is chopped in half the camera then zooms in to its severed body, the snake is clearly still alive and writhing in agony. It remains to be seen if they would cut it today. Quite likely. It's probably not quite as cruel though as the snake killing in No Retreat No Surrender 2. The animal here suffered a slow painful death.

Last edited by Angel; 14th April 2008 at 04:30 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!