Like Tree179933Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
I watched Stitches. Surprisingly amusing!

Ross Noble plays a killer clown who returns from the grave to reap revenge on the (now) teenagers who were responsible for his death as young kids. Technically it's a rather generic UK slasher, but with a few things going for it: Ross Noble is watchable, it's quite witty at times, and the kill scenes are pretty inventive and splatty.

A worthwhile watch.
I've noticed this on various sites.

On your recommendation i'll pick it up.
Delirium and troggi like this.
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I've noticed this on various sites.

On your recommendation i'll pick it up.
I'll be catching this as soon as too and not just because of illustrious birthday (this week) boy. "the Daughter of Darkness", my ikkle girl Katherine, also recommends it and she's not a bad judge. I've raised a first rate nerd girl there, even if I do say it myself.

Monster Magnet
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Half way through AMER, literally the most boring shit ever. NOTHING has happened. I thought it was meant to be a gialli homage but there hasn't even been a murder and doesn't look like there will be one! Everything goes on for far too long. Every scene that should be a single shot takes 10 minutes.
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Half way through AMER, literally the most boring shit ever. NOTHING has happened. I thought it was meant to be a gialli homage but there hasn't even been a murder and doesn't look like there will be one! Everything goes on for far too long. Every scene that should be a single shot takes 10 minutes.
Sounds like it was mis-sold to you Though you do say NOTHING has happened? It's not stuck on pause is it . . . ?
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
That sounds like "Woodwitch" a book I once read that was so dull that you had to keep reading just in case something happened, and when something finally did happen it was such an anti-climax that you just thought "Oh, is that it then?" There follows another fifth of the book of the main character's angst that you're not really interested in. My wife read it too calling me a "bastard" every other page she turned for ever bringing such crap into the house!

I gave it to a charity shop, "not very charitable" you might think but I like hope that it helped some poor soul reach rest without ever finding out what happened in it's tedious, trite, literary diarrhoea!

Let that be a lesson, if you ever see a hardback (it would never have reached a paperback run) book called "Woodwitch" in a black dustjacket with a white drawing of Phallus impudicus, the stinkhorn mushroom, either do not buy it OR buy it for someone who you think deserves to be bored to death.

Monster Magnet
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Haha, it's finished now. Such a bad ending I don't even know what happened, i'd usually be annoyed but just happy it's done. I said I couldn't complain on picking the blu up for £3 but I coulda put that money down the drain and not endured this.

At least the music was good, ay.
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I said I couldn't complain on picking the blu up for £3
Wow, that's an almighty bargain (I love the film btw) A shame you didn't get on with it, but it's definitely an acquired taste . . .
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:54 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I really liked Amer, it's obviously style over substance, but then I think that about a lot of Giallo films. I thought it captured the mood through it's cinematography and music perfectly and those are the two aspects I love about Italian horror.

I can understand people hating it though, especially if you were after some sort of linear plot. A lot of my friends hated Berberian Sound Studio for the same reason, they just needed a logical story to hang it all on.
Slippery Jack and keirarts like this.
Old 4th June 2013, 06:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Yeah, plus one for Amer here. LOVE the film, but it is an abstract, rather more sensuous, film. An acquired taste as mentioned.

Here's a question, did anyone at last years Frightfest watch the world premier of Federico Zampaglione's neo-giallo Tulpa? It was one of those film's where I got quite angry at the audience, as they didn't get it at all, and it got laughed out the room. What started with some drunk heckler, and a few tipsy titters, descended into the usual laugh-along-with-the-herd mentality from the majority of the room. Mind you, it wasn't smart putting a modern giallo (complete with some slightly goofy dubbing) on at a peak hour! My friend and I were incredulous to the reception as we both loved it.

Anyway, I've been anticipating it's home release, so I can watch it again on my own terms. But apparently Zampaglione took its reception on board and completely re-edited the film, cutting 20 minutes, and giving it a completely new dub. This new edit played better at Sitges I gather.

It might be a leaner beast, but I didn't have a problem with the dubbing, nor remember anything particularly extraneous in the film, so I'm concerned about those 20 minutes. I doubt there will be a director's cut on the forthcoming blu/dvd, but it would be awesome if there was, as I loved the film in its original form.
troggi likes this.
Old 4th June 2013, 07:05 AM
Cult Addict

I would not say AMER was a giallo. That would be like saying Valerie and her week of wonders, footprints, cold eyes of fear and various other arty cult euro cinema were Giallo. It has some hallmarks of the giallo. It has hallmarks of suspiria (which wears the conventions of the giallo as a mask but its not a giallo)

I see Amer as a tribute to the wild european cinema of the 60's-70's rather than a straight up tribute to giallo.

Like this? Share it using the links below!