Old 11th June 2015, 08:58 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Last night i watched '71.
Jack O'Connell plays a young British soldier accidentally separated from his unit following a vicious riot during his first tour of duty in Belfast in the early seventies. With no way of clearly identifying friend from foe and no knowledge of his surroundings he has to survive the night and get back to his barracks.
I picked this up based on a few glowing reviews on here and I'm glad i did as it's for the most part brilliant.
Jack O'Connell sticks in my mind as the terrifying gang leader in the underrated Eden Lake.
And he's very good here too as rookie soldier Gary Hook.
What for me stands out is the setting though, i don't know as much about Northern Ireland and its problems as i should but its portrayal here is scary as hell and i suspect not too far removed from reality. To me born in 78 most of the 'troubles' were settled down by the time i was really aware of such things and to concieve that there was a warzone so close to home is quite unsettling. The synopsis on the case describes it as an alien landscape and there really is something eerie seeing this sort of stuff going on in what doesn't look that disimilar from my town, or any other for that matter.
The film does plod a little in the middle i felt but on the whole highly recommended.
I almost followed this up with Carol Reeds brilliant Odd Man Out a more romanticised tale of Belfasts past alas it were a bit late.
As I said in reply to another review of '71, Belfast looks terrifying. I've recently watched The Long Good Friday and there's this brilliant exchange between Jeff and Harold about Belfast and the IRA, when Jeff says:
"Jesus Christ, British army's been dying up there with shit flying at them from all angles for the last 10 years, and you're not impressed? They can take over here any time they want!"

It was very controversial at the time and seen as unpatriotic but, just as with the line "Kill 10, 20. Bring out the tanks and the flamethrowers! They pour back, like an army of ants! Work with them.", is simply being realistic.
Old 11th June 2015, 09:47 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
As I said in reply to another review of '71, Belfast looks terrifying. I've recently watched The Long Good Friday and there's this brilliant exchange between Jeff and Harold about Belfast and the IRA, when Jeff says:
"Jesus Christ, British army's been dying up there with shit flying at them from all angles for the last 10 years, and you're not impressed? They can take over here any time they want!"

It was very controversial at the time and seen as unpatriotic but, just as with the line "Kill 10, 20. Bring out the tanks and the flamethrowers! They pour back, like an army of ants! Work with them.", is simply being realistic.
I think when you see films set in current or recent warzones in the Middle East or Eastern Europe there is this ability to detach. To not necessarily see far beyond the fictional aspects. I find even watching the news (not something o do often) it has a certain distant quality. But Belfast is only a few hundred miles away and its surreal and scary at the same time to think of it so close.
Old 11th June 2015, 05:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Jurassic World (2015) - 3/5

Decent enough, definitely better than JP3, shame they didn't use animatronics though as the CGI simply isn't convincing.
keirarts and Vipp like this.
Old 12th June 2015, 10:41 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Theatre of Death (1967)

Starring Christopher Lee as a theatre director whose Grand Guignol theatre is thought to be linked to a series of murders, the victims all found bloodless.

Bloodless victims, Christopher Lee? It's obvious who the killer is isn't it?

No, of course not this is Grand Guignol and nothing is as it first appears.

Theatre of Death is an interesting movie and Lee is his usual fine self giving an intense, multi-layered performance as the theatre director with a distressing line in hypnotism. The film has one or two unsettling scenes and plays out like the best gialli, full of red herrings and uncomfortable murders.

A film that's often forgotten, Theatre of Death is well worth checking out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b70-7057.jpg (71.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 12th June 2015, 11:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Great choice there Dem, an underrated wee film (but nae by me cough)

I, for my sins, watched the silly Waxwork on THC. Now I see why Zach Galligan's career didn't take off . Not camp enough for schlock, or gory enough for gross (maybe cut? Their Vault of Horror screening certainly was!!). A distant memory of this spurred me on to view this again....I now no longer trust this facility.....

Haven't decided what I'm watching as a tribute yet......

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th June 2015, 11:22 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Theatre of Death (1967)
A Lee that has passed me by... your review makes it sound like a must watch for me, Dem.

I went a little more mainstream with my Lee viewing and had a double bill of Dracula '58 and Horror Express last night.
Old 12th June 2015, 11:58 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
A Lee that has passed me by... your review makes it sound like a must watch for me, Dem.

I went a little more mainstream with my Lee viewing and had a double bill of Dracula '58 and Horror Express last night.
I thought about Horror Express as well, but in the end went for a lesser known film. Also Cushing steals the film with his 'British' line. I'm saving my recently purchased Dracula blu/dvd combo for a Halloween watch.

I think i'll watch a few of Lee's swashbucklers next week - Pirates of Blood River, Devil Ship Pirates and such like.

I really need to remove Crypt of the Vampire and I'Monster from my wishlist and onto my shelves.
Old 12th June 2015, 12:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Franco's Count Dracula it is then.....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th June 2015, 12:11 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I had a feeling you'd go for that one! Or if not that, The Bloody Judge or Eugenie.
Old 12th June 2015, 12:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Good choice. The Dark Sky disc has an extra with him reading Stoker's story.
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!